Beringer Disc Brake Kit for Schemm-Hirth gliders - experience and effectiveness?

Old October 15th 17, 03:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Beringer Disc Brake Kit for Schemm-Hirth gliders - experience and effectiveness?

On Sunday, October 15, 2017 at 10:26:09 AM UTC-4, Dan Marotta wrote:
Is there a Cleveland wheel, disk, and caliper that would work? They're
used all over general aviation.Â* I don't know for sure about the wheels
and disks, but my Stemme uses Cleveland calipers.Â* I'll be replacing the
pads next week for under $50 for four pads.

On 10/14/2017 4:31 PM, wrote:
I have a Beringer wheel on a JS1 and it is a nice piece of kit and has worked and braked fine however, having had my eyes opened by helping a colleague to change the tyre on a colleague's Antares, I wouldn't get one again.. If the tyre gets damaged and needs replaced you need to source the expensive 10 ply tubeless aviation tyre and need to have the tyre changing kit (plywood frames + metal spacer to compress the tyre) + lube + new O ring kit.. I recently bought all that to take on an expedition to South Africa at total cost in UK over £350 and it took a few weeks to source separately.. Without it if I burst a tyre I reckoned I would be stuck on the ground for a long time.

It's fine if you are aware of those aspects and have spares available or can wait to get them if a problem arises.

I would opt for a Tost Penta while which is lighter than standard Tost wheel system (but heavier than a Beringer) and has a hydraulic disc brake but takes normal tubed tyres.

--
Dan, 5J

Possibly, but someone has to engineer the conversion, produce and supply parts and do the required work to generate "approved data", commonly done by STC.
Much better to pay for someone else to do this work.
UH
Old October 15th 17, 03:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Dan- The Beringer is engineered specifically for the narrow landing gear fork found on sailplanes. The disk and caliper are mostly inside the wheel rim so adequate clearance is achieved. The Stemme has much more room, so a Cleveland wheel and caliper are fine in that application. There simply isn't enough space between the gear legs for a Cleveland.

Old October 15th 17, 04:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Carlyle

Wings & Wheels offer disc brake conversion kits for a number of makes of gliders. Here's the ad for Schempp-Hirth gliders: http://wingsandwheels.com/conversion...mpp-hirth.html

I have no experience with these kits (and no connection to W&W). At one time I was considering modifying my LS8-18, but I've since found the factory brakes work well enough if you keep them adjusted properly.

-John, Q3
Old October 15th 17, 04:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Thanks for the info, Mark.Â* I had Beringer brakes on my Pipistrel and
they worked great.

Old October 15th 17, 05:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Juanman[_2_]

On Sunday, October 15, 2017 at 11:39:57 AM UTC-4, John Carlyle wrote:
Wings & Wheels offer disc brake conversion kits for a number of makes of gliders. Here's the ad for Schempp-Hirth gliders: http://wingsandwheels.com/conversion...mpp-hirth.html

I have no experience with these kits (and no connection to W&W). At one time I was considering modifying my LS8-18, but I've since found the factory brakes work well enough if you keep them adjusted properly.

-John, Q3

On an LS8 I had with (useless) Tost drum brakes I sent the wheel to Vintage Brake in CA to reline the drums and replace the shoes with good ones. After that it actually braked! Low cost solution for drum brakes.
Warning: if you want to do this mod send it soon because they get backed up with vintage motorcycles and they only do this work in Winter, after that they go racing!
Old October 15th 17, 05:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

You, or someone similar, posted the same site for new friction material.
If it was you, thanks again.

Not sure of any FAA implications using a different friction material, but yes, it can make a big difference.
Some sailplanes I have flown/dealt with, one hard braking event meant basically no brakes until "massaged". This could be skuffing the shoes, sanding the drums.
Again, one hard brake event, brakes were basically useless after that.
Wash, rinse, repeat......

Worst was a "band brake" against the tire (SGS-1-26), Tost brakes are a bit better, but I call them "toast brakes" since they seem to need work after a hard stop to maintain efficiency.
Old October 15th 17, 06:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
James Thomson[_2_]

At 15:39 15 October 2017, John Carlyle wrote:
Wings & Wheels offer disc brake conversion kits for a number of

makes of
gliders. Here's the ad for Schempp-Hirth gliders:
http://wingsandwheels.com/conversion...mpp-hirth.html

I have no experience with these kits (and no connection to W&W). At

one
time I was considering modifying my LS8-18, but I've since found the
factory brakes work well enough if you keep them adjusted properly.

-John, Q3

The Tost catalogue shows a range of retrofit kits for drum to disk
conversion, many with EASA or glider manufacturer approval. They
offer kits for S-H gliders in both 4" and 5" wheel form, and acknowledge
the space issues! No details are given on whose caliper is used, their
own or Cleveland, but I'm sure they will tell you if you ask.

Old October 15th 17, 06:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Saturday, October 14, 2017 at 10:29:58 PM UTC+2, WaltWX wrote:
Can anyone recommend the Beringer disc brake kit for Ventus, Discus or Schemmp-Hirth gliders? I'm seriously considering retrofitting my D2A after a nearly disastrous run off the runway up at Ely ... partially due to fading brake (plenty of pilot error problems too...)

I'm especially interested in it's effectiveness to "... put the glider up on it's nose..." in cases of an emergency stop. Also, any issues or procedures for infield tire replacements.

Walt Rogers WX

The tubeless beringers on D2a's seemed to have repeated problems with flats in Australia at the worlds... unsure whether it was the heat or the thorns or both.
Old October 16th 17, 07:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Whisky

I have converted my Ventus from drum brake to disc brake. I had to chose between Béringer and the relatively new Tost Penta, and I took the latter:
- I'd rather not have a tubeless
- the Béringer kit is about 30% more expensive than the Penta kit
- I talked to S-H, and they rather install Penta than Béringer.

The Penta is about 50 grams more than the original drum braked wheel. Braking action is very good.

Disc Brake Retrofit kit from Wings & Wheels -- LS7 installation Gianni Isotope Soaring 6 September 26th 17 11:56 AM
Disc Brake Modification Brian Iten Soaring 0 July 7th 04 04:51 AM
Simicon Disc UAV robert arndt Military Aviation 0 March 11th 04 08:19 AM
no disc 4 Hector Relva Simulators 2 October 1st 03 03:01 AM
no disc 4 Hector Relva Simulators 0 September 21st 03 11:26 AM