Harvey Field Endangered

Old August 4th 07, 05:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
C J Campbell[_1_]

Default Harvey Field Endangered

It appears that Harvey Field (S43) in Snohomish County, WA, is in
serious trouble. Basically, Federal surveys have re-mapped the flood
plain and errors in the new map have placed Harvey Field within an area
where industrial development is now restricted, despite the fact that
the existing buildings are more than a century old and have never been
flooded.

Opponents of the airport have seized on this and orchestrated a
well-organized media campaign with slick flyers and ads claiming that
the airport is killing fish, that it is planning on expanding
(actually, the runway is being shortened to make room for an overrun)
and other false claims. The brochures even show pictures of flooded
areas which are not even on the property, claiming that they are
pictures showing that Harvey Field does indeed flood. To date, letters
to Snohomish County commissioners have been running 100 to 1 against
the airport.

There are more than 330 planes based at Harvey Field and there are more
than 250 people employed there. The airport is private and receives no
federal funding. The County refuses to approve building permits for new
hangars, runway improvements and repairs, and other needed work. One
individual responsible for this is a self-proclaimed environmentalist,
Craig D. Ladiser, who even though he is the director of Snohomish
County Public Development Services has referred Snohomish as a city,
not a county -- that is how ignorant he is about the area. Originally,
he estimated it would cost just over $100,000 to correct the flood
plain mapping errors, but in less than 90 days he revised this cost to
more than $500,000.

Harvey Field is supposed to be protected under the law by Washington
State's Growth Management Act. A discussion of the issues involved is
in the latest issue of Wings.

Letters requesting information about the Urban Growth Area should be
addressed to Linda Kuller. A sample letter appears below:

August 3, 2007

Linda Kuller
Chief Planning Officer
Snohomish Co. Planning & Development Services
2930 Wetmore Avenue
Everett, Washington 98201

Dear Ms. Kuller,

Please send me all information pertinent to the South Snohomish Urban
Growth Area (UGA) Conditional Letter of Map Revision (CLOMR) Request.
Thank you.

Respectfully,

The Snohomish County Commissioners and their email addresses a

District 1 John Koster
District 2 Kirke Sievers

District 3 Gary Nelson

District 4 Dave Gossett

District 5 Dave Somers

--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor

Old August 4th 07, 02:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On Fri, 3 Aug 2007 21:43:36 -0700, C J Campbell
wrote in
[...]

Are the local news media aware of this deliberate attempt to evoke
public opposition to the airport through the use of mendacity?
Old August 4th 07, 04:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

C.J.,

I forwarded your post to a friend of mine who was the AOPA airport
advocate for Harvey field as of a year or two ago. I don't know if he
still is, but he does have a Bonanza at Harvey and lives in
Snohomish. I'll let you know what he says.

Dean

Old August 4th 07, 10:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
C J Campbell[_1_]

Old August 6th 07, 04:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

C.J.,

Here is what my friend Glenn (former AOPA ASN volunteer) told me:

The airport is still going like gangbusters. Its status is
grandfathered, so it isn't shutting down any time soon. We are indeed
stopped from making a reasonable sized runway, and have to treat every
landing as a short field landing. We're planning to do what we can to
fight this, as the CLOMR is being reevaluated and things could
change. People played politics to do what they did to the airport.
Without expansion, the existing tenants have to pay for the increases
in property taxes that are skyrocketing. I'd like to spread those tax
increases across some new tenants.

Charles Hower volunteered to be the AOPA ASN rep. He has a 6 month
appointment to see if it goes well. If I want it back, I can have
it. I'm hoping he does a good job and can just take it over, but I'm
still supposed to be working on this. I'm sort of recovering from
many months of 60 hour weeks and haven't dived into this yet.

The airport actually does flood. The last one was in late 2006, and
we lucked out. Despite having to evacuate all aircraft and empty the
shop, it didn't even get the floor wet in the shop. Parked aircraft
still needed to be moved from the lower areas.

Glenn

Old August 6th 07, 05:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On Mon, 06 Aug 2007 08:26:45 -0700, wrote in
.com:

The airport actually does flood.

Harvey Field isn't the only one. Corona Municipal Airport (KAJO)
floods also:

http://www.pe.com/localnews/corona/s...5.3c2b7a4.html
Last year's storm marked the seventh time the airport has flooded
in the past 37 years.

https://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/leadnews/189251-1.html
http://www.rapp.org/archives/2005/02/flood_photos
Old August 6th 07, 06:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Tri-Pacer

. We are indeed
stopped from making a reasonable sized runway, and have to treat every
landing as a short field landing. We're planning to do what we can to
fight this,

Has the runway been shortened recently? Why the reference to a short field
landing?

I haven't stopped at Harvey recently and thought it was still 2700 feet. I
don't have a current chart or AFD handy to check myself.

Cheers:

Paul
N1431A
KPLU

Old August 6th 07, 07:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Has the runway been shortened recently? Why the reference to a short field
landing?

I haven't stopped at Harvey recently and thought it was still 2700 feet. I
don't have a current chart or AFD handy to check myself.

Cheers:

Paul
N1431A
KPLU

S43 HARVEY FIELD
14L/32R 2671x36; ASPH-G NSTD R/L
14R/32L 2671x100; TURF-E L/L
NOISE ABATEMENT PROCEDURES IN EFFECT; CTC AMGR
360-568-1541.
RY 14L-32R DSPLCD THLDS MKD BY PAINTED WHITE LINES.
HELICOPTER TRNG WEST OF RYS 500 FT & BLO.
ARRIVING HELICOPTER TRAFFIC APPROACH HELIPADS FROM
EAST. ARRIVING/DEPARTING HELICOPTER TRAFFIC AVOID
FLIGHT THRU (PAJA) DROP ZONE.
NSTD LIRL; THLD LIGHTS 360 DEGS GREEN.
RY14/32 DSPLCD THLDSS MKD BY PAINTED WHITE LINES.
RWY 14L APCH SLOPE 14:1 TO +40 FT PLINE 590 FT FM
DSPLCD THR.
RWY 14R APCH SLOPE 14:1 FM DSPLCD THR.
RWY 32L APPCH SLOPE 6:1 FROM DSPLCD THLD.
RWY 32R APCH SLOPE 6:1 FROM DSPLCD THLD.
HI VOLTAGE P-LINE 22 FT HIGH 32 FT FM AER 14 & 25 FT FM
MARKER LINE AT 106 FT.
RD 50' FM THR; +10' FNC POSTS WITH RED LGTS 50' FM THR;
10' LINE WITH LGTS & FLAGS AT 80'.
ONE WIND CONE ONE TEE.
NON STD TRAFFIC PATTERN INDICATOR LCTD NEAR WIND
CONE.
ESTABD PRIOR TO 15 MAY 1959.