It was really close...

Old May 18th 05, 08:03 AM
Roger

On 17 May 2005 07:02:02 -0700, "Sport Pilot"
wrote:

Ron Natalie wrote:

The maximum Takeoff Gross Weight limit for a C-150 is a legal

limit,
not a physical limit.

The physical limit isn't much higher. And you run out of payload
SPACE probably before you hit that...

You'll run out of ability to maintain level flight long before you
get to the structural limits.

On a cool day a long runway and some patience the physical limit is
much higher. Don't know how much but I wouldn't be suprised if it
could be double on a winter day. Add a 150 or even a 180HP engine and
the physical limit is huge.

Ahhh... actually no. With the larger engine the useful load is less
in the case of a 150.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

Old May 18th 05, 02:04 PM
Sport Pilot

wrote:

Ron Natalie wrote:

The maximum Takeoff Gross Weight limit for a C-150 is a legal

limit,
not a physical limit.

The physical limit isn't much higher. And you run out of payload
SPACE probably before you hit that...

You'll run out of ability to maintain level flight long before you
get to the structural limits.

On a cool day a long runway and some patience the physical limit is
much higher. Don't know how much but I wouldn't be suprised if it
could be double on a winter day. Add a 150 or even a 180HP engine

and
the physical limit is huge.

Ahhh... actually no. With the larger engine the useful load is less
in the case of a 150.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

You are talking about the legal limit! We were discussing the actual
physical limit. The amount a terrorist could take up. He won't give a
damn about what the book or law says, after all he won't be here to
prosecute.

Old May 19th 05, 08:26 AM
Roger

wrote:

Ron Natalie wrote:

[...]

The 150 is going to handle just so much weight. If more of it is
taken up by the engine it is not going to be able to lift as much load
be it legal or not.

One of the reasons for the gross weight limit is the stall speed. I
think you'll find it goes up in a hurry when the 150 is over weight.

The Deb can handle one whale of a load, but I once had some guys fudge
a bit on what they weighed and on a very hot day.

If it happened to me now I'd just pull the throttle and taxi back,
then leave with at least one less passenger. It'd make a good, "I
learned about flying from that" story.

Old May 21st 05, 05:24 AM
Sport Pilot

wrote:

Ron Natalie wrote:

[...]

Why the hell would a terrorist give a flip about the stall speed? The
extra 50 horse power makes the plane climb like a raped ape, lower
stall speed or not. The only real reason to limit the gross weight is
the structural limits in high turbulance. The regulations for sudden
high vertical and horizontal acceleration and deceleration likely to
only occur in a thunderstorm. A terrorist attack is not likely to occur
in a T storm The C150 has a stall speed of 55 and lower with flaps. It
can go up to 70 or so and still be operational, especially with a bunch
of HP up front. The extra weight up front may even help the terrorist
as he can put more weight in back and still have a useable CG.

Old May 22nd 05, 02:38 AM
dick reinhardt

George, this 75 yr old, strongly objects! You can't go on age alone. I
don't wear glasses yet, and can fly my 182 up and down the west coast
from border to border legally, in and out of big and small airports.
Landing/taking off from LAX to a rancher friends driveway ( gravel ).
You sound like the French rental car guy in Nice who said I was too old
to rent a car. That really ****ed me off but since I couldn't speak
French, I couldn't express myself adequately. IF or when I do
something stupid like the DC intrusion, I will give up my ticket without
it being suspended. Carefull about broad statements, they might bite you
in the end later, no pun! North West Mustang
ps I did rent a car, I just went down the road aways to Italy where they
were much nicer.

Old May 22nd 05, 02:56 AM
George Patterson

dick reinhardt wrote:
George, this 75 yr old, strongly objects! You can't go on age alone.

I didn't say you could. I said that I was not surprised after I learned that the
perpetrator was 70 years old. There are people out there who are 90 years old
and still have all their marbles, but the odds of becoming one of them are
pretty poor.

George Patterson
"Naked" means you ain't got no clothes on; "nekkid" means you ain't got
no clothes on - and are up to somethin'.
Old May 22nd 05, 01:30 PM
Blueskies

"dick reinhardt" wrote in message ...
You sound like the French rental car guy in Nice who said I was too old

to rent a car. That really ****ed me off but since I couldn't speak
French, I couldn't express myself adequately. IF or when I do
something stupid like the DC intrusion, I will give up my ticket without
it being suspended. Carefull about broad statements, they might bite you
in the end later, no pun! North West Mustang
ps I did rent a car, I just went down the road aways to Italy where they
were much nicer.

OK, no pun intended I'm sure, but you left Nice to go down the road to a place where people were nicer....sorry couldn't
help it...

;-)

Close call with engine failure in IMC G. Sylvester Instrument Flight Rules 12 March 16th 05 05:57 AM
Comming close Tony Owning 17 May 18th 04 06:22 AM
RAF Boulmer (England) to close Peter Ure Naval Aviation 0 April 29th 04 05:02 AM
D.A.: Pilot flew close to airliner John R Piloting 8 February 3rd 04 11:03 AM
Veteran fighter pilots try to help close training gap Otis Willie Military Aviation 0 December 2nd 03 10:09 PM