Looking for a (freeware) program to create a cross country navigation log

Old February 21st 05, 03:04 PM
C. Osbourne

Default Looking for a (freeware) program to create a cross country navigation log

Anyone know where I could get a downloadable, or freeware
program to assist in filling out a cross country navigation
form? Yes, I know we have to do that manually, but in the
learning process it'd be a great help to have a way to check
our answers for saneness.

If you can point me in the direction of either a downloadable
or web-based program to generate all the data, it'd be a big
help! I've seen duats, but I'm looking for something else.

Thanks for answering here.
Old February 21st 05, 04:38 PM
Dave A.

My first thought is the AOPA real time flight planner. It's free with your
membership.

--
Dave A
Aging Student Pilot

.. .

Old February 21st 05, 04:46 PM
John Kirksey

"C. Osbourne" wrote in message
.. .
Anyone know where I could get a downloadable, or freeware
program to assist in filling out a cross country navigation
form? Yes, I know we have to do that manually, but in the
learning process it'd be a great help to have a way to check
our answers for saneness.

If you can point me in the direction of either a downloadable
or web-based program to generate all the data, it'd be a big
help! I've seen duats, but I'm looking for something else.

Thanks for answering here.

I've been using both the AOPA real-time flight planner, and the Golden Eagle
product (www.flightprep.com) to do that very thing. The Golden Eagle product
seems to have a few more features. Both are free, Golden Eagle upgradable in
exchange for $$.

John K.
Student Pilot

Old February 21st 05, 05:00 PM
Roy Smith

In article RfoSd.4425$QQ3.589@trnddc02,
"John Kirksey" wrote:

"C. Osbourne" wrote in message
.. .
Anyone know where I could get a downloadable, or freeware
program to assist in filling out a cross country navigation
form? Yes, I know we have to do that manually, but in the
learning process it'd be a great help to have a way to check
our answers for saneness.

If you can point me in the direction of either a downloadable
or web-based program to generate all the data, it'd be a big
help! I've seen duats, but I'm looking for something else.

Thanks for answering here.

I've been using both the AOPA real-time flight planner, and the Golden Eagle
product (www.flightprep.com) to do that very thing. The Golden Eagle product
seems to have a few more features. Both are free, Golden Eagle upgradable in
exchange for $$.

John K.
Student Pilot

I've always just used the flight planner on DUATS. Nothing fancy, but it
does what you need it to do. And it's free.
Old February 22nd 05, 04:05 AM
Ali Ghorashi

Golden Eagle has too many bugs (at least it did as of two months ago). Here
are some of the problems:

-Auto Routing using Low Altitude Airways does a bad job of finding the
shortest route
-Printing a DUAT generated flight plan through their Adobe interface does
not work (i.e. the program creates corrupted PDF files)
-Errors in the Map (missing airways)
-The flight plan does not print a magnetic heading using the winds aloft
data. This makes the flight plan useless for VFR flights without the use of
navaids. This is especially true if you are using user-defined waypoints.

Ali Ghorashi
http://home.pcisys.net/~aghorash

"John Kirksey" wrote in message

.. .

Old February 22nd 05, 07:23 PM
Dean Wilkinson

You can use AirPlanLite which is freeware for this. Website:
http://www.razorsedgesoft.com/airplan.htm
File is at http://www.razorsedgesoft.com/airplanlite.zip

.. .

Old February 22nd 05, 09:05 PM
Dave Butler

C. Osbourne wrote:
Anyone know where I could get a downloadable, or freeware
program to assist in filling out a cross country navigation
form?

http://www.enflight.com

Registration required, no fee.
Old February 23rd 05, 04:17 AM
Jerry

I had similar problems with Golden Eagle and have deleted the program and
went back to the Cirrus software.

Jerry

"Ali Ghorashi" wrote in message
Golden Eagle has too many bugs (at least it did as of two months ago).
Here are some of the problems:

-Auto Routing using Low Altitude Airways does a bad job of finding the
shortest route
-Printing a DUAT generated flight plan through their Adobe interface does
not work (i.e. the program creates corrupted PDF files)
-Errors in the Map (missing airways)
-The flight plan does not print a magnetic heading using the winds aloft
data. This makes the flight plan useless for VFR flights without the use
of navaids. This is especially true if you are using user-defined
waypoints.

Ali Ghorashi
http://home.pcisys.net/~aghorash

"John Kirksey" wrote in message

.. .

Old February 23rd 05, 03:07 PM
Dave Butler

Jerry wrote:
I had similar problems with Golden Eagle and have deleted the program and
went back to the Cirrus software.

For text access: telnet direct.duats.com

For point and click GUI: http://www.enflight.com (requires free registration)

No need for any software installed on your machine other than a browser.