New Record in Iowa

Old June 17th 07, 05:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default New Record in Iowa

'The famous Cherokee II with this intrepid pilot behind the controls
has set a new season record for the shortest cross country flight
flown. approximately 15 miles to the east with a landing in an often
stared down grass strip next to a state highway. I've driven past
that one millions of times on my travels around the state and have
always wanted to land there.

the flight was standard short flight stuff. a quick tow with good
climb to 4500 AGL. then the Tstorm to the south started to outflow
and killed everything and down I came. Oh well had some fun.

And I've begun to worry that some of us arent really sure what the
heck a Cherokee II is and simply gloss over these meandering posts.
check out www.knightglider.com/flightreports.htm to see some of mine
(and others!) reports of much much longer cross country flights in
Iowa.

Old June 18th 07, 03:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Jun 16, 11:52 pm, wrote:
'The famous Cherokee II with this intrepid pilot behind the controls
has set a new season record for the shortest cross country flight
flown. approximately 15 miles to the east with a landing in an often
stared down grass strip next to a state highway. I've driven past
that one millions of times on my travels around the state and have
always wanted to land there.

the flight was standard short flight stuff. a quick tow with good
climb to 4500 AGL. then the Tstorm to the south started to outflow
and killed everything and down I came. Oh well had some fun.

And I've begun to worry that some of us arent really sure what the
heck a Cherokee II is and simply gloss over these meandering posts.
check outwww.knightglider.com/flightreports.htmto see some of mine
(and others!) reports of much much longer cross country flights in
Iowa.

*UPDATE*
All was not as it seems. turns out I only made it 13 nautical miles,
not the 15 that was previously advertised.

Old June 18th 07, 09:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
5Z

Hey, I've taken my ASW-20B a *negative* 1.5 miles on a declared 400+
flight! Bad sink at the house thermal.

-Tom

Old June 18th 07, 11:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Jun 18, 3:52 pm, 5Z wrote:
Hey, I've taken my ASW-20B a *negative* 1.5 miles on a declared 400+
flight! Bad sink at the house thermal.

-Tom

Tom - Ouch! fact is some days are just not your day. sink happens.
happy soaring,

Tony