cat and duck

Old November 5th 04, 04:49 PM
Richard Bennett

Default cat and duck

The Cat and Duck Method of Instrument Flying

Today's flight age is an era highlighted with increasing emphasis on safety.
Instrumentation in the cockpit and in ATC has reached new heights of
electronic perfection to assist the pilot during take-off's, flight and
landing. For whimsical contrast to these and other marvels of scientific
flight engineering, it is perhaps opportune to remind pilots of the basic
rules concerning the so called Cat and Duck Method of Flight.

Place a live cat on the cockpit floor. Because a cat ( when dropped ) always
remains upright, he or she can be used in lieu of a needle and ball. Merely
watch to see which way the cat leans to determine which wing is low.

The duck is used for the instrument approach and landing. Because any
sensible duck will refuse to fly in IMC conditions, it is only necessary to
hurl you duck out of the aircraft, and follow it to the ground.

There are some limitations to the Cat and Duck Method , but by rigidly
adhering to the following check list, a fair degree of success will be
achieved.

· Get a wide-awake cat. Most cats do not want to stand up at all, at
any time.

It may be necessary to get a large fierce dog in the cockpit to keep the cat
at attention.

· Make sure that your cat is clean. Dirty cats will spend all their
time washing. Trying to follow a cat licking itself usually results in a
flick-roll, followed by a flat spin. You can see that this is very
unsanitary.

· Old cats are best. Young cats have nine lives, but an old used-up
cat with only one life left has just as much to loose as you do, and will
therefore be more dependable.

· Beware of cowardly Ducks. If the duck discovers that you are using
the cat to stay upright she will refuse to leave without the cat. Ducks are
no better at instrument flying than you are!

· Be sure that the duck has good eyesight. Near sighted ducks often
go flogging off into the nearest hill. Very short sighted ducks will not
realise that they have been thrown out and will descend to the ground in a
sitting position. This manoeuvre is quite difficult to follow in an
aeroplane.

· Use a land loving duck. It is very discouraging to break cloud and
find yourself on short finals for a Yorkshire village duck pond. Yorkshire
farmers suffer from an insanity when chasing crows off their fields and will
shoot anything that flies.

· Choose your duck carefully. It is easy to confuse ducks with geese.
Whilst geese are competent instrument fliers, they seldom wish to go in the
sane direction as you. If your duck heads off for the nearest Wildfowl
Trust, you may be sure that you have been "given the goose".

Old November 5th 04, 04:58 PM
Rich S.

"Richard Bennett" wrote in message
The Cat and Duck Method of Instrument Flying

snip

Richard.............

Google show this thread has been posted at least 40 times, though it is
funny.

Remember - your search button is your friend.

Regards,
Rich S.

Old November 5th 04, 06:58 PM
Jim Weir

It is also possible to use a cat as an emergency alternator/generator. It is a
well known fact that a cat will always land feet-down. It is also true that a
piece of buttered bread will land butter side down. Simply strap a piece of
buttered bread to the cat's back, put a couple of magnets on the sides of the
straps, and drop the cat into the center of a coil of wire.

Viola, spinning cat-bread generates a voltage.

Jim

"Richard Bennett"

-The Cat and Duck Method of Instrument Flying
-

http://www.rst-engr.com
Old November 6th 04, 12:01 AM
Barnyard BOb -

On Fri, 05 Nov 2004 10:58:34 -0800, Jim Weir wrote:

It is also possible to use a cat as an emergency alternator/generator. It is a
well known fact that a cat will always land feet-down. It is also true that a
piece of buttered bread will land butter side down. Simply strap a piece of
buttered bread to the cat's back, put a couple of magnets on the sides of the
straps, and drop the cat into the center of a coil of wire.

Viola, spinning cat-bread generates a voltage.

Jim

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Viola

1. A stringed instrument of the violin family, slightly larger than
a violin, tuned a fifth lower, and having a deeper, more sonorous
tone.
2. An organ stop usually of eight-foot or four-foot pitch yielding
stringlike tones.

--------------

Voila

Used to call attention to or express satisfaction with a thing shown
or accomplished

Barnyard BOb - old phart ballbuster and pain in the ass g
Old November 6th 04, 02:11 AM
Dick Steel

Barnyard BOb - wrote:
[...]

CatGut may also be used for Viola strings.

Dick
Old November 6th 04, 03:36 AM
Jim Weir

Dick Steel
Jesus, I know the difference between viola and voila (grave missing from my
character set).

Can't you let a humorous intentional misspelling slide by? Do I have to put a
funny face (I'd like one for up-yours, but it hasn't been invented yet -- how
about oo|oo ) by all my little peccadillos?

Sheesh.

Jim

http://www.rst-engr.com
Old November 6th 04, 05:24 AM
Ed Sullivan

On Fri, 05 Nov 2004 19:36:06 -0800, Jim Weir wrote:

Dick Steel
Jesus, I know the difference between viola and voila (grave missing from my
character set).

Can't you let a humorous intentional misspelling slide by? Do I have to put a
funny face (I'd like one for up-yours, but it hasn't been invented yet -- how
about oo|oo ) by all my little peccadillos?

Sheesh.

Jim

http://www.rst-engr.com

What are you going to do? He's our resident pedantic ass!

Old November 6th 04, 03:27 PM
Rich

"Rich S." wrote in message ...

"Richard Bennett" wrote in message
The Cat and Duck Method of Instrument Flying

snip

Google show this thread has been posted at least 40 times, though it is
funny.

Remember - your search button is your friend.

I'd not seen it, so I'm guessing others had not as well. It's it's
unlikely I'd have stumbled across it by searching randomly.

So while I can see why you'd point out to search first if someone
posts a question that had been asked before, I don't believe that
applies to humor.

Rich
Old November 6th 04, 04:25 PM
Dave S

Richard Bennett wrote:

The Cat and Duck Method of Instrument Flying

Here is the Duck method taken a step further..

http://centercomp.com/cgi-bin/dc3/gallery?14511

Dave

Old November 6th 04, 07:39 PM
Bob Hoover

Viola, spinning cat-bread generates a voltage.

Jim

Dear Jim,

You've confused the the aviation term with the French word.

The proper spelling is 'wah-la' even though it is pronounced the same:

'Vie OH la' (preferrably with a Texas twang)

-R.S.Hoover