headset life

Old January 4th 04, 04:35 PM
Drew Dalgleish

Default headset life

How long does a set of headsets last? I leave them plugged in and
always in the plane in an unheated hangar. Lately I've had to turn up
the volume knob a lot farther to get the same amount of volume from
the radio.
Drew
Old January 4th 04, 06:43 PM
Greg Burkhart

"Drew Dalgleish" wrote in message
How long does a set of headsets last? I leave them plugged in and
always in the plane in an unheated hangar. Lately I've had to turn up
the volume knob a lot farther to get the same amount of volume from
the radio.
Drew

Sounds like your hearing is going and there's nothing wrong with the
headset. ;-)

Seriously, normal passive headsets /shouldn't/ decrease volume with age.
They should continue to work at the same volume until they go bad, usually
from the plugs or cable wiring wearing out. ANR headsets can decrease in
volume with age because of the battery/power source but will return to
normal volume when the battery is replaced. I don't have any experience with
the ANR style, so I'm just guessing on this.

I have had my passive headsets for over 5 years. The first few years I was
renting aircraft and would notice volume differences between rental aircraft
radios. The past couple years I've used them in my plane (with one com
radio) and the volume hasn't changed.

Have you checked that the connections are (still) clean? Use TV contact
cleaner on the plugs and jacks if they get dirty. Borrow another headset to
see if it's actually your headset and not something with the radio. How old
is your headset? Passive or ANR?

Old January 4th 04, 07:31 PM
EDR

In article , Drew Dalgleish
wrote:

How long does a set of headsets last? I leave them plugged in and
always in the plane in an unheated hangar. Lately I've had to turn up
the volume knob a lot farther to get the same amount of volume from
the radio.
Drew

I have had my DC 10-40's for 23 years. I had the cords and plugs
changed at 18 years. When you send them back to DC for overhaul, they
perform a complete inspection and test of all components and replace
anything out of spec.
Old January 4th 04, 10:33 PM
Drew Dalgleish

On Sun, 04 Jan 2004 18:43:09 GMT, "Greg Burkhart"
wrote:

[...]

They're RST passive headsets that I built from a kit about 8 years
ago. The set I usually use has lost quite a bit of volume and the
passengers set has lost some as well. I spun the plugs in the jack to
make sure I had good contact but removing them and cleaning them up
sounds like a good idea.Thanks
Drew
Old January 4th 04, 10:48 PM
Greg Burkhart

"Drew Dalgleish" wrote in message
They're RST passive headsets that I built from a kit about 8 years
ago. The set I usually use has lost quite a bit of volume and the
passengers set has lost some as well. I spun the plugs in the jack to
make sure I had good contact but removing them and cleaning them up
sounds like a good idea.Thanks
Drew

Let us know if it helps/works.

You may want to chat with Jim W. about these...

Old January 6th 04, 08:27 PM
John Smith

When I had problems with my headset, I brought them in to my tech shop, and
the technician cleaned the connectors with a simple pencil eraser...

JS