Have you ever...

Old April 15th 05, 09:05 PM
Newps

Larry Dighera wrote:
[snip]

squandering tens of billions of dollars of tax payers' money waging
your daddy's war during a time when our nation's future citizens are
being so poorly educated that it's embarrassing if not freighting.

Yeah, look what it did for your spelling.
Old April 15th 05, 09:06 PM
Newps

Jon Woellhaf wrote:

"Newps" wrote, "I have a 50 cal handgun but I'm not so good at moving
targets."

Have you actually dared to fire it? Hurts my hand just to look at one!

It's pretty exciting when you light it off.

Old April 15th 05, 09:08 PM
Peter R.

Jay Honeck wrote:

Garmin charges $400 per year to keep their databases current?

Glad I own an AvMap.

For VFR, I would agree, but when IFR and when your destination only has a
GPS approach to get you through the layer and low visibility so that you
can spend time with your family on vacation or get to a client site to work
the billable hours, it is money well spent.

--
Peter

Old April 15th 05, 09:14 PM
Peter Clark

On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 07:58:15 -0700, "Matt Barrow"
wrote:

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
Who in the world uses VORs
for daily flight anymore?

Those of us who refuse to pay $400/yr "Garmin tax" for data collected
and produced at taxpayer expense.

You'd really be ****ed at what King charges for the KLN-94!

$380 for 13 cycles if you do the download option.

Course, if Jay wants to arrange to get the raw data monthly, compile
it into the appropriate database format(s) and publish it for free,
I'm sure many would be happy to switch....

Old April 15th 05, 09:19 PM
Peter Clark

wrote:

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
Who in the world uses VORs
for daily flight anymore?

Those of us who refuse to pay $400/yr "Garmin tax" for data collected
and produced at taxpayer expense.

You'd really be ****ed at what King charges for the KLN-94!

$380 for 13 cycles if you do the download option.

Course, if Jay wants to arrange to get the raw data monthly, compile
it into the appropriate database format(s) and publish it for free,
I'm sure many would be happy to switch....

Looking back on the thread, that should read if Ross wants to publish
a database. The attribution got messed up in my reader. Sorry Jay.

Old April 15th 05, 09:48 PM
Gig 601XL Builder

"Newps" wrote in message

Larry Dighera wrote:

On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 09:28:30 -0600, Newps wrote
in ::

Suppose you are navigating solely by GPS. What are you going to do in
the event the military chooses to disable the GPS system while you're
airborne

Can't be done. There is no on/off switch.

True. But the military does have the ability to jam GPS to thwart
incoming missiles. The effect for the pilot would be similar...

Not on an instantaneous basis. Some general somewhere doesn't detect an
incoming missile and then flip a switch to make GPS unreliable. It takes
days.

I'll bet somebody at SpaceCom could turn that thing of within minutes should
they be ordered to.

Old April 15th 05, 11:01 PM
Morgans

"Newps" wrote in message

Suppose you are navigating solely by GPS. What are you going to do in
the event the military chooses to disable the GPS system while you're
airborne

Can't be done. There is no on/off switch.

Plus the fact that the loss of GPS could put the lives of hundreds of
thousands of commercial passengers in the air, in peril. Not a good thing
to do, politically speaking. It would also cause problems with surveyors,
and many other groups, also. The economic fallout would be huge.
--
Jim in NC

Old April 16th 05, 12:24 AM
Matt Barrow

"John Clonts" wrote in message
oups.com...
Those of us who refuse to pay $400/yr "Garmin tax" for data

collected
and produced at taxpayer expense.

You'd really be ****ed at what King charges for the KLN-94!

$380 via internet download...

And Garmin's updates, which does not collect and produce the data, Jeppesen
does, doesn't cost $400 (as someone else pointed out). Evidently, Ross finds
it so much easier to **** and moan rather than obtain a clue how all the
process works (which is my point, not the exact numbers).

Old April 16th 05, 12:25 AM
Matt Barrow

"Peter R." wrote in message
Jay Honeck wrote:

Garmin charges $400 per year to keep their databases current?

Glad I own an AvMap.

For VFR, I would agree, but when IFR and when your destination only has a
GPS approach to get you through the layer and low visibility so that you
can spend time with your family on vacation or get to a client site to

work
the billable hours, it is money well spent.

Damn, and those guys that run around with the black Jepp cases are really
paying a big tax!!