LS4 aileron gap seal and mylar seal width

Old May 15th 17, 03:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Foertsch

Default LS4 aileron gap seal and mylar seal width

A couple questions.

I had ailerons removed for refinishing and now looking at maintenance manual to see what is needed for the gap seal. The maintenance manual indicates using double sided adhesive to glue non-adhesive gap seal between wing and aileron.

I could have sworn though that the gap seal was installed more like the right hand diagram at http://wingsandwheels.com/tapes-seals.html - which shows using adhesive backed gap seal tape.

I didn't see anything in glider log book about the gap seal being replaced, so was wondering if the factory gap seal might have changed over time.

Would it be OK to use the adhesive gap seal tape? And if so what width?

The advantage would be the ailerons can be put back on by A/P and I can apply the gap seal and Mylar seal myself at a later time.

With the double sided adhesive/non-adhesive gap seal tape I would have to have it at installed on wing before the ailerons get put back on.

Also does anyone know the proper width of the mylar seal? The former owner had replaced the mylar seals and I just want to double check the proper width was used. I could not find a reference in the manual for the proper width.

Thanks

Eric

Old May 15th 17, 06:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andrew[_9_]

On Monday, May 15, 2017 at 12:43:29 PM UTC+10, Eric Foertsch wrote:
[...]

Hi Eric,

Try this website, they sell the kits for different gliders
http://www.streifly.de/shop%20abdichtsaetze-e.htm

Andres
Old May 15th 17, 04:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Foertsch

Thanks Andres
Old May 15th 17, 02:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3[_2_]

Hi Eric,

Couple of thoughts. First, the best place to discuss LS-specific topics (such as what width of mylar to use) is probably the LS-Gliders discussion group over on Yahoo. Lots of knowledge, diagrams, photos, etc.

As far as your specific question, I've done LS4's both ways. The maintenance manual calls for internal, rolling S-Seals. They're kind of a pain to do, but they are very effective. Many competition-tuned LS4s have these plus the external, mylar, wiper seals. IIRC, the for the last set of mylar wiper seals I did on an LS4 I think I used 35MM. Someone else posted the link to Streifeneder; probably worth contacting them to see what's in their LS4 kit.

Erik Mann (P3)
Former LS4 owner/LS8 onwer

Old May 15th 17, 04:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Munk

Don't mess about with seals. They can be fairly critical. Put in the
internal
aileron seals as they should be according to manufacturer. Just resealed
two
ls4s, only took two hours each to do re

The new manuals show very precise what needs to go where.

Eric

At 13:06 15 May 2017, Papa3 wrote:
Hi Eric,

Couple of thoughts. First, the best place to discuss LS-specific topics
(s=
uch as what width of mylar to use) is probably the LS-Gliders discussion
gr=
oup over on Yahoo. Lots of knowledge, diagrams, photos, etc. =20
=20
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/LS-gliders/info

=
do, but they are very effective. Many competition-tuned LS4s have

these
=
plus the external, mylar, wiper seals. IIRC, the for the last set of
my=
lar wiper seals I did on an LS4 I think I used 35MM. Someone else

posted
=
the link to Streifeneder; probably worth contacting them to see what's

in
=
their LS4 kit. =20

Erik Mann (P3)
Former LS4 owne

[...]

pply the gap seal and Mylar seal myself at a later time.=20
=20

Old May 15th 17, 04:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Foertsch

Thanks Erik
Old May 17th 17, 08:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Munk

Had a look in the MM pp 4.5 and 4.6 (European manual). It specifically
states that operation without aileron gaps seals is not allowed.

Chapter 4.2.1 (internal seals) and 4.2.2 (external seals) describes in
great detail how to seal the ailerons according to manufacturer's specs.

If you have an LS 4 or LS 4-a then apart from applying the internal S-seals
(mandatory for all models) you will need at least upper aileron gap seals
Tesafix 4965 (12 mm wide) with mylar seal convex (30 mm wide) and tesafilm
white 4104 (19 mm wide). Optionally for LS 4 and LS 4-a, and mandatory for
LS 4-b is the additional application of teflon glass tape (38 mm wide)
underneath the above mentioned upper aileron gap seals.

Lower aileron gaps seals are not needed.

Old May 18th 17, 07:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
7C

The new manuals from DG allow you to use teflon tape to provide the air seal with mylar running on top of it. I would recommend getting them and having a read as it has an accurate list of parts and good description on how to do it. You will probably want extra teflon tape as it's easy to get it wrong the first time...

Interesting gap seal ryanglover1969[_2_] Soaring 4 May 9th 10 07:18 PM
prop seal Jim Burns Owning 11 July 23rd 05 03:59 AM
Door seal?? Frode Berg Owning 1 June 14th 04 03:28 PM
Window seal Hankal Owning 1 December 22nd 03 01:33 AM
Crank Seal? Mark S Conway Owning 3 November 10th 03 05:29 AM