Is this B-52 photo real?

Old February 15th 04, 02:23 AM
S. Sampson

Default Is this B-52 photo real?

"Hobo" wrote

Is the photo genuine?

No. If you blow it up, or invert the colors you can see the
massive manipulations.

Old February 15th 04, 04:14 AM
Chad Irby

In article aSzXb.21172$Q_4.5025@okepread03,
"S. Sampson" wrote:

"Hobo" wrote

Is the photo genuine?

No. If you blow it up, or invert the colors you can see the
massive manipulations.

You don't even need to do that. Just look at the shock wave boundaries
where they come off of the fuselage. Too sharply defined.

The shadows go in two different directions, too (off the wingtip into
the cloud and the wing shadow on the forward fuselage).

cirby at cfl.rr.com

Slam on brakes accordingly.
Old February 15th 04, 04:28 AM

Just looking at the line of the BUFFs belly and the compression cloud shows
me it is a fake. Not that well done either.

MikeT

Old February 15th 04, 07:23 AM
Jim Herring

Hobo wrote:

URL of photo: http://www.caselab.okstate.edu/burat.../mach1buff.jpg

I found a photo on the web which was described as a photo of a B-52
breaking the sound barrier. I do not believe this plane can do such a
thing in a positive manner. Is the photo genuine?

This keeps showing up for various aircraft by people who have never seen a true
sound barrier shock wave. Even if this pic wasn't faked it only shows a vapor
wave with a B-52 due to compression at moderate speed and high humidity.

--
Jim

carry on

Old February 15th 04, 07:44 AM
John Keeney

"Hobo" wrote in message
URL of photo:

http://www.caselab.okstate.edu/burat.../mach1buff.jpg

I found a photo on the web which was described as a photo of a B-52
breaking the sound barrier. I do not believe this plane can do such a
thing in a positive manner. Is the photo genuine?

Doctored.
To me it looks like they took a real picture of a transonic plane, put the
Buff in it and then added clouds here & there about the airframe.
The condensation cloud isn't in the right place over the width of the wing
span and they went all "fluffy" with the clouds around the engines just to
name two points that are suspect.

Old February 15th 04, 07:21 PM
Darrell

I saw a photo of a Piper Cub breaking the sound barrier. What does that
tell you? Want to see a Mach 2 Jewel? Try my web site below.

--

B-58 Hustler History: http://members.cox.net/dschmidt1/

-

Old February 16th 04, 04:22 AM
Vicente Vazquez

"Hobo" wrote

Is the photo genuine?

That's a BUFF in APASF.

APASF = (Adobe Photoshop Assisted Supersonic Flight). :-)
Old February 16th 04, 05:21 AM
Jeb Hoge

"John Keeney" wrote in message ...
"Hobo" wrote in message
URL of photo:

http://www.caselab.okstate.edu/burat.../mach1buff.jpg

I found a photo on the web which was described as a photo of a B-52
breaking the sound barrier. I do not believe this plane can do such a
thing in a positive manner. Is the photo genuine?

Doctored.
To me it looks like they took a real picture of a transonic plane, put the
Buff in it and then added clouds here & there about the airframe.

I'm 95% positive that ths shockwave vapor component of the pic is from
either an F-14 or F/A-18...I know I've seen that before, but it's one
of those two Navy birds in the middle of it.
Old February 16th 04, 09:33 AM
Ole

"Jeb Hoge" skrev i melding
om...

"Hobo" wrote in message
URL of photo:

http://www.caselab.okstate.edu/burat.../mach1buff.jpg

I found a photo on the web which was described as a photo of a B-52
breaking the sound barrier. I do not believe this plane can do such a
thing in a positive manner. Is the photo genuine?

Doctored.
To me it looks like they took a real picture of a transonic plane, put

the
Buff in it and then added clouds here & there about the airframe.

I'm 95% positive that ths shockwave vapor component of the pic is from
either an F-14 or F/A-18...I know I've seen that before, but it's one
of those two Navy birds in the middle of it.

I belive it was an F/A-18.

Old February 16th 04, 01:23 PM
Kulvinder Singh Matharu

On 15 Feb 2004 20:21:26 -0800, (Jeb Hoge) wrote:
[snip]
I'm 95% positive that ths shockwave vapor component of the pic is from
either an F-14 or F/A-18...I know I've seen that before, but it's one
of those two Navy birds in the middle of it.

Here's the real deal...

http://www.militaryaircraft.de/aviexpics11/F18sound.jpg

--
Kulvinder Singh Matharu
Contact details : http://www.metalvortex.com/form/form.htm

"It ain't Coca Cola, it's rice" - The Clash