Dumping Flying Magazine

Old April 10th 04, 03:35 AM
Bob Fry

"Jay Honeck" writes:

Is it me, or has Flying become among the worst GA magazines to read?

Two words: Lane Wallace.

Oh, dude. C'mon. Lane is simply an average-skilled amateur writer
and a less-skilled pilot. You need to expand your reading and you'll
know what I mean and what you're missing.

Except for Peter Garrison, the other writers are useless too.
Old April 10th 04, 03:38 AM
Bob Fry

"Jay Honeck" writes:

I'll say one thing about Collins: The man is prolific. He writes two or
three HUGE articles each month, plus a flight reviews, plus an active
speaking schedule.

And none of the content worth a damn. Too bad, because the man
clearly has something to tell us, but he simply doesn't know how. He
is prolific like an Appalachian hill-billy family is...quantity
doesn't equal quality.
Old April 10th 04, 03:40 AM
Bob Fry

"Jay Honeck" writes:

What's all the fuss over Lane Wallace? Are you talking about sex appeal?

Yes. In-person she has a warmth and magnetism that's hard to quantify.

I'll take your word for it. I live in a college town...need I say
more?
Old April 10th 04, 03:50 AM
Bob Fry

"Richard Hertz" writes:

I find that all the magazines are fairly poor.
.... Maybe there are no good
journalists/writers in the aviation field.

You are correct. There simply is very little good writing in
aviation. Perhaps it's because there is relatively little money to be
made, and thus little new blood. We've all noticed the nearly 100%
old farts at airports and fly-ins; few young people, with their energy
and creativity, can afford or are interested in flying.

That's why I started subscribing to the Atlantic. Not an aviation
mag, but very good writers, including the son of Wolfgang
Langewiesche. After a bit you get accustomed to people who know how
to use English, and at that point Lane Wallace and the others read
worse and worse.
Old April 10th 04, 04:04 AM
Javier Henderson

"Jim" writes:

When was the last time that you read an honest article on
flight training in Flying other than full motion sim training for the latest
and greatest biz jet?

Every month, Richard Collins has a critique article, about 2 pages long,
on someone's flying habits.

Also, Collins recently had an article about personal minimums.

Actually, quite often, now that I think about it.

-jav
Old April 10th 04, 04:04 AM
G.R. Patterson III

Bob Fry wrote:

That's why I started subscribing to the Atlantic. Not an aviation
mag, but very good writers, including the son of Wolfgang
Langewiesche.

with a heritage that includes such authors as Clemens. I just wish the articles
weren't so darn long.

George Patterson
This marriage is off to a shaky start. The groom just asked the band to
play "Your cheatin' heart", and the bride just requested "Don't come home
a'drinkin' with lovin' on your mind".
Old April 10th 04, 04:04 AM
Javier Henderson

Thomas Borchert writes:

Javier,

My beef with aviation magazines in general is that every airplane and
product featured gets a positive review, no matter what. Flaws are
minimized, virtues are extolled to no end.

Try Aviation Consumer.

Yep, I subscribe. I should've mentioned them separately.

-jav