More on Powell and the guard

Old February 24th 04, 10:44 PM
Cub Driver

Neither Kerry or Bush will accept matching funds as that limits
the amount that can be spent. As for soft money, the campaign
finance bill basically made that illegal.

Neither Bush nor Kerry is taking match funds for the primary campaign.
Both will take it for the fall campaign.

You are in dreamland about soft money. How is George Soros spending
$1.5 million to defeat George Bush? That's the softest money there
ever was.

All McCain-Feingold did was ban overt soft money, the kind that was
meant for party-building. The covert soft money, George Soros's kind,
is attributed to no party.

For example, if somebody wanted to creat Vietnam Veterans for True
Patriotism, funded with $1.5 million from an anonymous source, that
would be perfectly okay with McCain-Feingold, so long as the VVTP
focussed its ads on the Vietnam Veterans Against the War and did not
specifically talk about the 2004 election.

The Bill of Rights has proved cussedly hard to get around

all the best -- Dan Ford
email: (requires authentication)

see the Warbird's Forum at
www.warbirdforum.com
and the Piper Cub Forum at www.pipercubforum.com
Old February 25th 04, 05:57 AM
George Z. Bush

R. David Steele wrote:
On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 08:21:10 -0500, "George Z. Bush"
wrote:

R. David Steele wrote:
The Bush family does not even begin to have the wealth that
Senator Edwards (D-NC) has (over $50 million). And Sen. Kerry
(D-MA) has ten times that ($500 million).

I can't speak to Edwards or Kerry but it seems that the Bush
family's money has very deeep roots that mean at least amount
as the bank bank balance; See

American Dynasty: Aristocracy, Fortune, and the Politics of
Deceit in the House of Bush by Kevin Phillips

Kerry is very old money, as he is a Bonesman like Bush.

Kerry may be a member of Skull and Bones, as is Bush, but he's miles from old
money. His grandfather was a Czech Jew named Fritz Kohn, who changed his
name to Frederick Kerry in 1902 while a Czech citizen, and emigrated to the
US three years later as Frederick Kerry. He committed suicide in 1921
apparently for financial reasons, which suggests that there was no family
money back then. Kerry's father was in the Foreign Service, which is not
known for providing its employees with excessive salaries. So, old money?
It hardly seems likely. If, as he himself says, he always considered
himself comfortably well off while he was growing up, that probably would
have been a testimonial to the frugality with which his parents managed
their accumulated resources rather than inherited wealth, as most old money
is usually acquired.

George Z.

The "F" in his middle name is for Forbes.

Touche. Point taken.

George Z.

Old February 29th 04, 05:26 AM
Merlin Dorfman

George Z. Bush ) wrote:
: R. David Steele wrote:
: The Bush family does not even begin to have the wealth that
: Senator Edwards (D-NC) has (over $50 million). And Sen. Kerry
: (D-MA) has ten times that ($500 million).
:
:
[...]

Kerry's mother was old New England family and money.

Old February 29th 04, 05:28 AM
Merlin Dorfman

Cub Driver ) wrote:

: The Bill of Rights has proved cussedly hard to get around

"Money seeks its own level." When one way of spending
money is blocked, others are found.

Old February 29th 04, 05:30 AM
Merlin Dorfman

R. David Steele ) wrote:

: And the Bush family has a tradition that every generation has to
: make in on their own.

Is anybody making the ridiculous claim that GWB "made it on
his own?" He wouldn't have gotten any of those jobs without
parental influence...and he certainly wouldn't have gotten into
the Texas Air Guard.

Old February 29th 04, 05:53 AM
Ron

Is anybody making the ridiculous claim that GWB "made it on
his own?" He wouldn't have gotten any of those jobs without
parental influence...and he certainly wouldn't have gotten into
the Texas Air Guard.

Parents can not get you your BA or BS degree.

They cant get you thru UPT

They cant get thru F-102 training.

Parents cant make you excel at pilot training and ACM.

They also cant get you your MBA.

Nor do parents just give you leadership.

He has accomplished far more than most people, and while connections may help
open the door, they do not get your thru or guarantee success. If a Democrat
or Green had done many of the things he has, they would be trumpeting those
accomplishments left and right.

Ron
Tanker 65, C-54E (DC-4)

Old February 29th 04, 06:11 AM
George Z. Bush

Merlin Dorfman wrote:
George Z. Bush ) wrote:
R. David Steele wrote:
[...]

I've already acknowledged my error elsewhere. Her maiden name was Forbes.

George Z.

Old February 29th 04, 06:30 AM
George Z. Bush

Ron wrote:
Is anybody making the ridiculous claim that GWB "made it on
his own?" He wouldn't have gotten any of those jobs without
parental influence...and he certainly wouldn't have gotten into
the Texas Air Guard.

Parents can not get you your BA or BS degree.

They can indeed, especially if they are alumni and/or are public figures.
They're what are called legacy degrees.

They cant get you thru UPT

They cant get thru F-102 training.

The offspring of public figures often are extended courtesies and consideration
not available to others.

Parents cant make you excel at pilot training and ACM.

I don't believe I ever read of a claim that he excelled. When he took his
AFOQT, his application form reflected a pencil entry of 25th pctl, which was the
lowest level acceptable for entrance into pilot training. I'm not even sure if
the pencilled in entry didn't replace a lower original one.

They also cant get you your MBA.

He himself acknowledged that he was a mediocre student who spent most of his
time drinking and doing as little as possible in order to get through the
program. My father was a sheet metal mechanic and with a similar academic
performance from me, Harvard would have bounced me out on my ass in a heartbeat.
Let's not be so naive about the influence of parents who are public figures
and/or alumni.

Nor do parents just give you leadership.

He has accomplished far more than most people, and while connections may help
open the door, they do not get your thru or guarantee success. If a Democrat
or Green had done many of the things he has, they would be trumpeting those
accomplishments left and right.

It's all in the eye of the beholder. When all is said and done, he can't
divorce his parents nor can he deny that he knows them when they make a
judicious call here or there and good things result for him. It doesn't mean he
did it all on his own. Bill Gates did it all on his own, but Dubya's nowhere
near in the same class.

George Z.

Old February 29th 04, 06:44 AM
Tarver Engineering

"George Z. Bush" wrote in message
Ron wrote:
Is anybody making the ridiculous claim that GWB "made it on
his own?" He wouldn't have gotten any of those jobs without
parental influence...and he certainly wouldn't have gotten into
the Texas Air Guard.

Parents can not get you your BA or BS degree.

They can indeed, especially if they are alumni and/or are public figures.
They're what are called legacy degrees.

They are called legacy admissions. The student still has to do the work.

They cant get you thru UPT

They cant get thru F-102 training.

The offspring of public figures often are extended courtesies and

consideration
not available to others.

Fighter pilot's sons are put to the head of the line for selection, but the
student still must do the work.

Parents cant make you excel at pilot training and ACM.

I don't believe I ever read of a claim that he excelled. When he took his
AFOQT, his application form reflected a pencil entry of 25th pctl, which

was the
lowest level acceptable for entrance into pilot training. I'm not even

sure if
the pencilled in entry didn't replace a lower original one.

You are mistaken, the Guard thought highly of GW's skills.

They also cant get you your MBA.

He himself acknowledged that he was a mediocre student who spent most of

his
time drinking and doing as little as possible in order to get through the
program. My father was a sheet metal mechanic and with a similar academic
performance from me, Harvard would have bounced me out on my ass in a

heartbeat.
Let's not be so naive about the influence of parents who are public

figures
and/or alumni.

No, GW admitted he was a mediocre student at Yale.

The Harvard MBA is the real deal.

Nor do parents just give you leadership.

He has accomplished far more than most people, and while connections may

help
open the door, they do not get your thru or guarantee success. If a

Democrat
or Green had done many of the things he has, they would be trumpeting

those
accomplishments left and right.

It's all in the eye of the beholder.

Yes.

Old February 29th 04, 08:59 AM
Ron

Parents can not get you your BA or BS degree.

They can indeed, especially if they are alumni and/or are public figures.
They're what are called legacy degrees.

No, that is legacy in terms of points for university acceptance. But that does
not help you pass your classe or get you your degree. Never heard of a legacy
degree...But it can apply for acceptance into school and frats.

They cant get thru F-102 training.

The offspring of public figures often are extended courtesies and
consideration
not available to others.

I dont think an IP will care you are you or where you came from. Ask Ed if he
ever gave rats ass during Fighter Lead In who someone was.

Parents cant make you excel at pilot training and ACM.

I don't believe I ever read of a claim that he excelled. When he took his
AFOQT, his application form reflected a pencil entry of 25th pctl, which was
the
lowest level acceptable for entrance into pilot training. I'm not even sure
if
the pencilled in entry didn't replace a lower original one.

I have read often that he was a very good stick at UPT, and he was damn good at
ACM while as an F-102 pilot

They also cant get you your MBA.

He himself acknowledged that he was a mediocre student who spent most of his
time drinking and doing as little as possible in order to get through the
program. My father was a sheet metal mechanic and with a similar academic
performance from me, Harvard would have bounced me out on my ass in a
heartbeat.
Let's not be so naive about the influence of parents who are public figures
and/or alumni.

Hell, I was a mediocre student too. B average all the way thru..at best. But
my IQ, AFOQT, SAT, etc were usually pretty high. He (and I) had an SAT of over
1200, which tranlates pretty high. He certainly had a far better academic
record that Gore, but you dont see any Democrats that ever criticized Gore over
it

It's all in the eye of the beholder. When all is said and done, he can't
divorce his parents nor can he deny that he knows them when they make a
judicious call here or there and good things result for him. It doesn't mean
he
did it all on his own. Bill Gates did it all on his own, but Dubya's nowhere
near in the same class.

George Z.

Yes, but it sounds like you are holding it against him, because of his parents.
But then Kerry, Kennedy, Roosevelt, all came from priviledged upbringings too.

Ron
Tanker 65, C-54E (DC-4)