WiFi at AirVenture (was:Does your airport WiFi?)

Old April 28th 05, 02:48 PM
Dave Butler

George Patterson wrote:

In nearly all of the U.S., the internet providers are running on lines
that they've taken over from the local Bell company. The lines are still
provisioned by the local baby Bell. If the local Bell says that they
can't give you DSL at your location, nobody else can either. That
doesn't stop the internet service companies from claiming they can.

Exactly. That's why I mentioned in one of my earlier postings that DSL providers
are notorious liars.
Old April 28th 05, 02:58 PM
Dave Butler

Juan Jimenez wrote:
But to where? What part of Wittman Field?

Pick a spot. It doesn't have to cover the whole field.

WiFi will get you about a 300 ft
radius, maybe a bit more if you get fancy with the antennas. You then have
to deploy an infrastructure to which you can connect the access points. It
takes money, and all for 1 week's worth? Maybe 2 if you count exhibitors,
volunteers, etc.

I don't think the infrastructure is *so* expensive just to provide a hot spot,
if you don't try to cover the whole airfield. The local coffehouse can afford it.
Old April 28th 05, 03:05 PM
Dave Butler

Montblack wrote:
("Dave Butler" wrote)

I wonder whether anyone has contacted EAA and requested that they get on
the stick and provide WiFi on the North 40.

Found an open hot-spot last year, next to the N-40 showers (by the homes)
one night at around 9:30pm. Stylus and a handheld something - don't
remember
the brand the guy had.

Heh, that might have been me. :-) I found that spot by the homes next to the N40
showers with my Tungsten|C.

Dave
Old April 28th 05, 03:39 PM
Matt Barrow

"Nathan Young" wrote in message

An interesting problem, which I solved by moving.

And when the ashtrays full you buy a new car, right? :!~)

Old April 28th 05, 03:39 PM
Matt Barrow

"Dave Butler" wrote in message

Exactly. That's why I mentioned in one of my earlier postings that DSL

providers
are notorious liars.

So are the dial-up providers.
--
Matt
---------------------

Old April 28th 05, 03:41 PM
Jay Honeck

The Linksys WRT54G wireless access point/router supports (at least it does
if you get the Sveasoft firmware, and believe me, you don't want it
without it) a mode where each WAP can relay traffic for all the other WAPs
in its range, so you can chain a bunch of them together wirelessly with
only one connected to the cable/dsl/fat pipe. You can also turn up the
power on them and increase the range.

Ha. We tried the "repeater" method at the hotel, in an effort to adequately
cover two 3-story buildings.

It turned out to be incredibly unstable. All it would take was a 2 second
power outage, and the repeater "lost its mind" and would not recover -- a
completely untenable solution in a commercial application. Other times it
would lose its connection for no apparent reason at all, and have to be
"rebooted" from scratch -- a time consuming, aggravating affair.

Our solution was a separate DSL line and network in both buildings. A bit
more expensive, but rock-solid.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old April 28th 05, 03:43 PM
Jay Honeck

I don't think the infrastructure is *so* expensive just to provide a hot
spot, if you don't try to cover the whole airfield. The local coffehouse
can afford it.

It's not. We covered our entire hotel -- two 3-story buildings, plus the
pool area -- for a grand investment of maybe $225. (Not counting the
monthly DSL line charges, of course.)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old April 28th 05, 04:08 PM
John Theune

Ron Natalie wrote:
Dave Butler wrote:

On a related note: there was a thread here earlier about wireless
access at Oshkosh. IIRC the sad conclusion was that there was no
access very nearby.

The nearest WIFI's last year was a few of the neighboring hotels and
the Starbucks up the road. We spent the last night in the American
Suites or whatever it is (the one that has the LaSeurs catering hall
attached and it has WIFI).

Having an internet cafe on the field would sure be nice.

While it did not have WIFI, there was net access at the EAA members tent
last year with ethernet connections. They had a fair amount of trouble
witht he sat link, but it was there.
Old April 28th 05, 04:39 PM
Nathan Young

On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 07:39:08 -0700, "Matt Barrow"
wrote:

"Nathan Young" wrote in message
.. .

An interesting problem, which I solved by moving.

And when the ashtrays full you buy a new car, right? :!~)

Yep. I also buy a new plane when the tanks run low!

Old April 28th 05, 07:45 PM
Rob

I spent some time scouting for WiFi last year at Oshkosh with my Ipaq
PDA. There were several networks in each of the four conference halls
but none of them were publicly accessible. EAA apparently charges
exhibitors big bucks to access the networks. At the "member center"
there were a couple of rows of PCs set up for public web browsing. I
asked the hostess there about WiFi and she looked at me like I had two
heads.

-R

Does your airport WiFi? john smith Piloting 118 July 12th 05 03:47 PM
WI airport closure Mike Spera Owning 0 March 9th 05 01:53 PM
N94 Airport may expand into mobile home community, locals supportive William Summers Piloting 0 March 18th 04 03:03 AM
Rules on what can be in a hangar Brett Justus Owning 13 February 27th 04 05:35 PM