Airport lat/lon database

Old October 14th 05, 06:56 AM
Ron Garret

Default Airport lat/lon database

Anyone know where I can find a list of US airports and their lat/lon
positions? I know about the airnav site, but that only lets me get one
at a time. I need a list that I can feed into a database. (I only need
US airports with instrument approach procedures.)

Thanks,
rg

Old October 14th 05, 01:18 PM
MC

Ron Garret wrote:
Anyone know where I can find a list of US airports and their lat/lon
positions? I know about the airnav site, but that only lets me get one
at a time. I need a list that I can feed into a database. (I only need
US airports with instrument approach procedures.)

If you're willing to spend some time massaging the data,
try the NIMA DAFIF site.

Caution.. the data-sets start at 25 Mb and go to around 95 Mb
depending on format.
Old October 14th 05, 02:24 PM
Dave Butler

Ron Garret wrote:
Anyone know where I can find a list of US airports and their lat/lon
positions? I know about the airnav site, but that only lets me get one
at a time. I need a list that I can feed into a database. (I only need
US airports with instrument approach procedures.)

The FAA's ATA-100 data files, which are available by subscription. There's a
shadow maintained by one of our newsgroupies at
http://aviationtoolbox.org/old/ATA-100/

The file you want is apt.txt. The format is described by one of the
subscriber_file_formats/ files.

Imbedded in the apt.txt file is the information about whether the airport has an
ILS. You'll have to find some other way of screening for other types of
instrument approaches.

Dave
Old October 14th 05, 02:38 PM
John Clonts

Google group rec.aviation.misc for "AviationToolBox". Kyler Laird has
graciously provided a site which has those files, and even some python
code that shows how to use them...

--
Cheers,
John Clonts

Old October 14th 05, 03:59 PM
Ron Garret

In article 1129296717.58440@sj-nntpcache-3, Dave Butler
wrote:

Ron Garret wrote:
Anyone know where I can find a list of US airports and their lat/lon
positions? I know about the airnav site, but that only lets me get one
at a time. I need a list that I can feed into a database. (I only need
US airports with instrument approach procedures.)

The FAA's ATA-100 data files, which are available by subscription. There's a
shadow maintained by one of our newsgroupies at
http://aviationtoolbox.org/old/ATA-100/

The file you want is apt.txt. The format is described by one of the
subscriber_file_formats/ files.

Imbedded in the apt.txt file is the information about whether the airport has
an
ILS. You'll have to find some other way of screening for other types of
instrument approaches.

Dave

That's just what I needed. Thanks!

rg
Old October 14th 05, 05:30 PM
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, Ron Garret said:
Anyone know where I can find a list of US airports and their lat/lon
positions? I know about the airnav site, but that only lets me get one
at a time. I need a list that I can feed into a database. (I only need
US airports with instrument approach procedures.)

Another alternative to grovelling through the ATA-100 files yourself is to
get the information you need in GPX format from my web site
http://navaid.com/GPX/
and then use gpsbabel to convert it to the format you need.

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
When I hear the history of some of the more ugly European cities, with