Alternate Intersection Name in Brackets?

Old January 20th 04, 08:36 PM
Marco Leon

Default Alternate Intersection Name in Brackets?

Hi all. What does it mean when there's an alternate intersection name in
brackets in the new AOPA Flight Planner? As an example, there's an
intersection just south of the Wash D.C. Class B where V286 and V16 cross.
It's called TAPPA but the new AOPA flight planner also has [VIPKE] in
brackets. It also chose to highlight VIPKE on the enroute map as opposed to
TAPPA. The Jepp enroute chart simply has this as TAPPA with no alternate
names. I also can't seem to find this symbology anywhere else on the Jepp
chart.

Is VIPKE a high-altitude/jet route name for the same intersection? Anyone
know? Clicking on the intersection yields no clues.

Thanks,

Marco

http://www.usenet.com
Old January 20th 04, 08:44 PM
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, "Marco Leon" mleon(at)optonline.net said:
brackets in the new AOPA Flight Planner? As an example, there's an
intersection just south of the Wash D.C. Class B where V286 and V16 cross.
It's called TAPPA but the new AOPA flight planner also has [VIPKE] in
brackets. It also chose to highlight VIPKE on the enroute map as opposed to
TAPPA. The Jepp enroute chart simply has this as TAPPA with no alternate
names. I also can't seem to find this symbology anywhere else on the Jepp
chart.

In my FAA data, TAPPA and VIPKE are both classified as "REP-PT" with
almost the same latitude and longitude (37.97019333, 76.8446166 versus
37.970336111, 76.844478). However, in the DAFIF data TAPPA is classifed
as "NAMED FIX" and VIPKE is classified as "UNNAMED, CHARTED OR COMPUTER
NAV FIX".

No idea what the difference is, but I'm guessing that VIPKE isn't used for
much.

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
If men are from Mars and women are from Venus, there's going to be one
Old January 20th 04, 09:00 PM
Dave Butler

Marco Leon wrote:
Hi all. What does it mean when there's an alternate intersection name in
brackets in the new AOPA Flight Planner? As an example, there's an
intersection just south of the Wash D.C. Class B where V286 and V16 cross.
It's called TAPPA but the new AOPA flight planner also has [VIPKE] in
brackets. It also chose to highlight VIPKE on the enroute map as opposed to
TAPPA. The Jepp enroute chart simply has this as TAPPA with no alternate
names. I also can't seem to find this symbology anywhere else on the Jepp
chart.

Is VIPKE a high-altitude/jet route name for the same intersection? Anyone
know? Clicking on the intersection yields no clues.

Here's what http://www.airnav.com says about it:

Name: VIPKE
Identifier: VIPKE
Location: 37-58-13.210N / 076-50-40.120W (VIRGINIA)
ARTCC: ZDC
Fix to be published? yes
Navaid radial/DME:
Charts: ENROUTE HIGH
Charting info: CNF
Fix use: Reporting point

Remove SHIRT to reply directly.
Dave

Old January 20th 04, 09:39 PM
Marco Leon

Thanks Paul. Can you elaborate on your source of "FAA data?" And what does
DAFIF stand for? Sounds like a nice source for some techie aviation data...

I did some more research since I posted and Flight Explorer includes VIPKE
as a high-altitude fix when I toggle the fix display between high and low. I
know it's not scientific but I don't have a high altitude chart handy to
verify.

If it IS a high-altitude fix, seems like a low-severity defect on the AOPA
Flight Planner to choose VIPKE over TAPPA given a planned altitude of 8,000
feet.

Marco

Old January 20th 04, 09:53 PM
Marco Leon

Ahh. I forgot Airnav has fixes. Thanks. I believe that answers my question.
Since the flight plan I entered in the AOPA Flight Planner had an altitude
of only 8,000 feet, then it seems that it is a low-severity defect in the
planner.

Marco

Old January 20th 04, 10:05 PM
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, "Marco Leon" mleon(at)optonline.net said:
Thanks Paul. Can you elaborate on your source of "FAA data?" And what does
DAFIF stand for? Sounds like a nice source for some techie aviation data...

I get a CD from the FAA every 56 days with all the current data on it.
Information on how to order it is buried very deep on the FAA web site,
but I think if you look for "ATA-100" you'll eventually find it. Or if
you don't want to pay for it, contact me via email and I'll tell you where
to ftp it for free.

DAFIF is the Digital Aeronautical Flight Information File, which comes
from the National Imagery and Mapping Agency, a US military agency. It's
free, and it's available for ftp every 28 days (Start at
http://www.nima.mil and look under "Products and Services" for
Aeronautical and from there to the "Aeronautical Information Home Page").
It covers the entire world, but not in great detail - they don't worry
about airports that they can't land an A-10 at.

Both sets of information obviously come from old mainframes, and it's a
bitch to parse, and they're none too careful about being consistent.

Basically if all you're worried about is the US, the FAA data is better.
If you're worried about the rest of the world, the DAFIF data is your only
option, unless you're like me and have a cadre of people typing in
information and making it available for your database generators.

Actually, depending on your needs, your best option might be be to use
gpsbabel to convert data from my GPX waypoint generator to whatever format
you need, because then you get to take advantage of all the work I put
into converting and maintaining my data. http://navaid.com/GPX/

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
The people here have other bones to pick -- possibly including yours.
Old January 20th 04, 11:38 PM
Ron Rosenfeld

On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 14:36:01 -0500, "Marco Leon" mleon(at)optonline.net
wrote:

Hi all. What does it mean when there's an alternate intersection name in
brackets in the new AOPA Flight Planner? As an example, there's an
intersection just south of the Wash D.C. Class B where V286 and V16 cross.
It's called TAPPA but the new AOPA flight planner also has [VIPKE] in
brackets. It also chose to highlight VIPKE on the enroute map as opposed to
TAPPA. The Jepp enroute chart simply has this as TAPPA with no alternate
names. I also can't seem to find this symbology anywhere else on the Jepp
chart.

Is VIPKE a high-altitude/jet route name for the same intersection? Anyone
know? Clicking on the intersection yields no clues.

Thanks,

Marco

VIPKE is a high-altitude fix on J14. It marks a bend in that route.

Old January 22nd 04, 05:55 AM
Mateo

Paul Tomblin wrote:

In my FAA data, TAPPA and VIPKE are both classified as "REP-PT" with
almost the same latitude and longitude (37.97019333, 76.8446166 versus
37.970336111, 76.844478). However, in the DAFIF data TAPPA is classifed
as "NAMED FIX" and VIPKE is classified as "UNNAMED, CHARTED OR COMPUTER
NAV FIX".

In case you're wondering, the distance between those 2 points is 65
feet, 7 inches, or just less than the wingspan of a CRJ-200.