Almost a statisic

Old January 12th 05, 05:22 AM
G. Sylvester

There was also an accident in a large turbojet aircraft (727?) years ago (as I
recall it was a freighter) where the crew forgot to turn on the pitot heat
before takeoff. They were climbing when the pitot tubes iced up, and crew
responded to the increasing indicated airspeed by pitching up more and more
until they entered a stall/spin. Not good. Needless to say, the crew
perished.

I went to a (as in one) IFR ground class. The instructor was very good
but I simply decided to do it on my own. Nevertheless the one thing
i got out of the class was possibly the story above. He showed a clip
on a south american passenger transport jet (type?) where they just
repainted the plane and they left some kind of tape over the pitot
tubes. I would hope a ATP pilot flying jets could at least figure out
what is happening when they have a single point failure.

Gerald
Old January 12th 05, 05:52 PM
Jeremy Lew

I recently had a pitot/static system failure on climbout, and found it was
helpful to turn the Garmin 430 to crosscheck the altimeter and airspeed
against the GPS altitude and groundspeed. I have a Garmin 196 also which I
mount on the yoke if flying IMC, which can also be used for this purpose.

. ..

Old January 12th 05, 06:02 PM
Gary Drescher

"Jeremy Lew" wrote in message
I recently had a pitot/static system failure on climbout,

Wow. What were the symptoms, and what turned out to be the cause?

--Gary

Old January 12th 05, 06:48 PM
dlevy

I had a pitot/static problem as a new PPL (clear weather) that was very
exciting. Airspeed was fine till about 20 feet off the ground. At that
point airspeed would start dropping. I kept pushing the nose over and
airspeed kept dropping. I then realized rpm's were normal, the propellor
was attached, and everything sounded right. It scared the bejezus outta me.
Turned out to be water in the static line. Afterwards, I realized I was way
too dependant on that one indicator. Had it been IMC, it could have been
very ugly.

As someone else posted, I now keep an eye on gps ground speed on takeoff....
and I'm not even instrument rated yet.

"Gary Drescher" wrote in message
news

Old January 12th 05, 08:02 PM
Colin W Kingsbury

"dlevy" wrote in message

As someone else posted, I now keep an eye on gps ground speed on

takeoff....
and I'm not even instrument rated yet.

If you know your plane well the ASI should be one of the least-critical
instruments to lose, at least on anything Skyhawk-class. Set power and
pitch, and your airspeed will follow. As close to foolproof as anything gets
in aviation. That's why if you look at an ultralight with only one
instrument, it's probably a tach. Go up with a CFI sometime and tell him to
cover the ASI while you do some pattern work. Of course every kind of
failure can be distracting, that's why experienced pilots crash after having
doors open in flight.

GPS groundspeed is useless for flying the plane. What do you think you're
getting by watching it?

-cwk.

Old January 12th 05, 08:18 PM
Jon Kraus

I had water in the static lines one time in solid IMC. One pull of the
Alternate Static Source took care of it. That's what it is there for. :-)

Jon Kraus
PP-ASEL-IA
'79 Mooney 201 Triple43Hotel

Old January 12th 05, 09:35 PM
dlevy

GPS groundspeed implies airspeed. If the airspeed indicator is zero, rpm's
2500, the nose pitched up, and gps groundspeed holding at 80 knots......
which is wrong?

"Colin W Kingsbury" wrote in message
ink.net...
snip

Old January 12th 05, 10:18 PM
Gary Drescher

"dlevy" wrote in message
I had a pitot/static problem as a new PPL (clear weather) that was very
exciting. Airspeed was fine till about 20 feet off the ground. At that
point airspeed would start dropping. I kept pushing the nose over and
airspeed kept dropping. I then realized rpm's were normal, the propellor
was attached, and everything sounded right. It scared the bejezus outta
me. Turned out to be water in the static line. Afterwards, I realized I
was way too dependant on that one indicator. Had it been IMC, it could
have been very ugly.

Hm, shouldn't a blocked static line cause the airspeed indicator to show an
increase in airspeed, rather than a decrease, with increasing altitude?

--Gary

Old January 12th 05, 11:07 PM
kontiki

If the static line were blocked but not the pitot then the
airspeed indication would decrease with increasing altitude.

Old January 12th 05, 11:13 PM
Ben Jackson

On 2005-01-12, dlevy wrote:
I had a pitot/static problem as a new PPL (clear weather) that was very
exciting. Airspeed was fine till about 20 feet off the ground. At that
point airspeed would start dropping.

My first solo XC was my first time in a C-172 with an airspeed indicator
in MPH. It took me about half of the first leg to figure out what was
going on.

My brain is really screwed up now: I fly a plane marked in MPH (with
knots on the inner ring) and I tend to think about cruise and approach
in knots and critical airspeeds in MPH.

--
Ben Jackson

http://www.ben.com/