Lost flight plans

Old July 30th 05, 12:10 PM
Dan Luke

Default Lost flight plans

The last two IFR flight plams I've filed via DUATS have been lost. One
was for a trip leaving BFM in Mobile and the other was out of MSN,
Madison, WI. This is the first time in five years this has happened,
and it happened twice in a row. The plans were filed on different
computers.

Anyone else have any trouble like that with DUATS lately?

--

Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old July 30th 05, 05:30 PM
Peter R.

Dan Luke wrote:

The last two IFR flight plams I've filed via DUATS have been lost. One
was for a trip leaving BFM in Mobile and the other was out of MSN,
Madison, WI. This is the first time in five years this has happened,
and it happened twice in a row. The plans were filed on different
computers.

Anyone else have any trouble like that with DUATS lately?

In the tradition of asking, "is the computer plugged in," how do you know
the flight plans were lost? Are you sure it wasn't a zulu/local time
mistake that led to the flight plan not being available to the controller?

I ask this because I occasionally will arrive at the airport and preflight
much earlier than I anticipated, then call for my clearance only to
discover that ATC cannot find my flight plan. It then dawns on me that I
am attempting to get my clearance earlier than 1/2 hour prior to my
estimated departure time, which means the flight plan is not yet available
to the controller.

--
Peter

Old July 30th 05, 06:09 PM
Lynne

Sounds like operator error.

Old July 30th 05, 06:12 PM
Maule Driver

BTW, a great little writeup on filing IFR plans using DUATs in AOPA this
month. It was one of those monthly inserts on using DUATS. Learned stuff.

Old July 30th 05, 07:31 PM
Scott D

On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 06:10:50 -0500, "Dan Luke"
wrote:

The last two IFR flight plams I've filed via DUATS have been lost. One
was for a trip leaving BFM in Mobile and the other was out of MSN,
Madison, WI. This is the first time in five years this has happened,
and it happened twice in a row. The plans were filed on different
computers.

Anyone else have any trouble like that with DUATS lately?

As a matter of fact, that happend to me yesterday. I filed three of
them. One from COS to LBF, LBF to ICT, ICT back to COS. The first one
was there but when I went open the other two, they were gone. Had to
refile. And this was the first time I had ever had DUATS fail me.

Scott D.
Old July 30th 05, 09:56 PM
Newps

Peter R. wrote:

I ask this because I occasionally will arrive at the airport and preflight
much earlier than I anticipated, then call for my clearance only to
discover that ATC cannot find my flight plan. It then dawns on me that I
am attempting to get my clearance earlier than 1/2 hour prior to my
estimated departure time, which means the flight plan is not yet available
to the controller.

Another difference with DUATS and AFSS filed flight plans is with an
AFSS filed flight plan I have access to it immediately via the Tower's
FDIO. A DUATs flightplan doesn't get sent to the center immediately
therefore when you show up early I have no access to your flightplan
because it isn't in the system yet.
Old July 31st 05, 01:37 AM
Steven Barnes

wrote:

The last two IFR flight plams I've filed via DUATS have been lost. One
was for a trip leaving BFM in Mobile and the other was out of MSN,
Madison, WI. This is the first time in five years this has happened,
and it happened twice in a row. The plans were filed on different
computers.

Anyone else have any trouble like that with DUATS lately?

As a matter of fact, that happend to me yesterday. I filed three of
them. One from COS to LBF, LBF to ICT, ICT back to COS. The first one
was there but when I went open the other two, they were gone. Had to
refile. And this was the first time I had ever had DUATS fail me.

Scott D.

Did one last night for a flight today. No problem.

Old July 31st 05, 05:19 AM
Allan9

In the old days it would be held in "temporary storage" at the flight plans
originating computer. It would then be printed out at the sector and
terminal facility approximately 30 minutes prior to the Proposed Departure
time. This was a site paramater that could be adjusted. Now it also may
have parameters from the DUATS.

Al

Old July 31st 05, 05:23 AM
Allan9

If the first flight plan were still active in the system any subsequent
would possibly not be available since two clearances/active flight plans
cannot be active with the same aircraft identification
Al