Cobra Trailer Replacement Wheel

Old September 27th 09, 03:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Chip Bearden

Default Cobra Trailer Replacement Wheel

Finally did it. Rolled up the rim on my 1992 Cobra when the tire
failed catastrophically on the way home from New Castle today. I know
some have installed aftermarket wheels on their Cobras. Anyone have
the specs for interchange?: bolt circle/pilot diameter/offset. These
are the 13" rims installed on older Cobras. Thanks.

Chip Bearden
ASW 24 "JB"
USA
Old September 29th 09, 03:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
mattm[_2_]

On Sep 26, 10:22*pm, Chip Bearden wrote:
Finally did it. Rolled up the rim on my 1992 Cobra when the tire
failed catastrophically on the way home from New Castle today. I know
some have installed aftermarket wheels on their Cobras. Anyone have
the specs for interchange?: bolt circle/pilot diameter/offset. These
are the 13" rims installed on older Cobras. Thanks.

Chip Bearden
ASW 24 "JB"
USA

I had the same thing happen on the Solo trailer on the way to Perry
a couple of years ago. I found an equivalent wheel at Tractor Supply,
I think it was. However, I wouldn't doubt that Cobra uses something
different. The best approach is to take the old rim around to various
tire places and see what they say.

-- Matt

Old September 29th 09, 06:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

"mattm" wrote in message

On Sep 26, 10:22 pm, Chip Bearden wrote:

Finally did it. Rolled up the rim on my 1992 Cobra when the tire
failed catastrophically on the way home from New Castle today. I know
some have installed aftermarket wheels on their Cobras. Anyone have
the specs for interchange?: bolt circle/pilot diameter/offset. These
are the 13" rims installed on older Cobras. Thanks.

Chip Bearden
ASW 24 "JB"
USA

I had the same thing happen on the Solo trailer on the way to Perry
a couple of years ago. *I found an equivalent wheel at Tractor Supply,
I think it was. *However, I wouldn't doubt that Cobra uses something
different. *The best approach is to take the old rim around to various
tire places and see what they say.

-- Matt

Trailer not local- eh!
UH
Old September 29th 09, 08:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Chip Bearden[_2_]

On Sep 29, 2:30*pm, Nyal Williams wrote:
Had oughta carry TWO spares, doncha know? *If you lose a wheel or tire and
mount the spare, wouldn't it be foolish to continue on without a
spare??????????

Yeah, that's why I carry backpack AND chestpack parachutes. I mean,
what happens if I bail out successfully and then have to cut away the
main chute to avoid falling glider debris? That would ruin my whole
day, doncha know? Of course, it's a little crowded in the cockpit and
I can't see out as well and the glider's a bit noseheavy and the
second chute cost me over $1,000. But, wouldn't it be foolish to
compromise emergency preparedness??????????

Seriously, the glider and trailer are stashed at a gliderport 3+ hours
away. I've got the damaged wheel with me. Near as I can measure, the
specs a

13 x 4 1/2 wheel with a J flange manufactured 9-91 (the stampings read
K13S133 and FAD | 4 1/2 JX13H2 ). Offset measures approx. 29 mm. 4
on 100 bolt circle. 57mm centerbore. I've got a list of vehicles with
the same bolt circle pattern and centerbore. The only catch is that
the offsets are somewhat higher and because I don't have access to the
trailer, I'm hesitant to order a new wheel (or two) because I don't
know how much clearance I'll have between the trailer wall and tire.
UH generously offered a spare spare until I can replace mine.
Actually, because my spare is damaged, that would technically only
bring me back up to the single spare level. Guess I'll have to live
dangerously for the one-week contest coming up.

Chip Bearden
ASW 24 "JB"
USA