Fine example of Tarver Engineering release for service

Old March 2nd 04, 10:48 PM
The CO

"mah" wrote in message
Rich Ahrens wrote:

Yes, those static ports are pretty unreliable! :-)

All those moving parts...

Yep, I've got a can of static port grease on the shelf next to my

bottle
of horn fluid and the box of muffler bearings.

Well the only tiny grain of truth in that statement is that a static
port can be occluded by a
foreign object. On the ground this can be something like an insect
setting up housekeeping
in it, in flight ice is probably the biggest risk factor. Since loss of
the static port will bugger up
3 basic flight instruments (altimeter, ASI and VSI) this is non-trivial.

The CO

Old March 2nd 04, 11:18 PM
running with scissors

"Gord Beaman" ) wrote in message . ..
mah wrote:

Tarver Engineering wrote:

The sole reason for using a static port is so the guts can be removed from
the pitot tube, in order to improve reliability. A pitot port produces no
static pressure datum.

Just as an example, when the aircraft is sitting still on the ground -
airspeed = 0. Since the pitot and static ports are in the same state,
doesn't that imply that static pressure is present at the pitot port?

MAH

Sure it's there, but it's there only until the a/c starts to
move. It's then no longer 'static pressure' because it's been
raised by the ram effect of the movement.

That's why you now need a 'static port' to supply the static
pressure to use as a reference. Is it really that difficult to
see?!?

where are the mud bees?
Old March 2nd 04, 11:26 PM
Stan Gosnell

"The CO" wrote in
:

Well the only tiny grain of truth in that statement is that a static
port can be occluded by a
foreign object. On the ground this can be something like an insect
setting up housekeeping
in it, in flight ice is probably the biggest risk factor. Since loss of
the static port will bugger up
3 basic flight instruments (altimeter, ASI and VSI) this is non-trivial.

Or masking tape left in place after maintenance. At least one airliner has
crashed because of this. Many fatalities.

--
Regards,

Stan

Old March 2nd 04, 11:33 PM
B2431

(running with scissors)
Date: 3/2/2004 5:18 PM Central Standard Time
mah wrote:

Tarver Engineering wrote:

The sole reason for using a static port is so the guts can be removed

from
the pitot tube, in order to improve reliability. A pitot port produces

no
static pressure datum.

Just as an example, when the aircraft is sitting still on the ground -
airspeed = 0. Since the pitot and static ports are in the same state,
doesn't that imply that static pressure is present at the pitot port?

MAH

Sure it's there, but it's there only until the a/c starts to
move. It's then no longer 'static pressure' because it's been
raised by the ram effect of the movement.

That's why you now need a 'static port' to supply the static
pressure to use as a reference. Is it really that difficult to
see?!?

where are the mud bees?

Shacking up in the pitot tubes.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired
Old March 2nd 04, 11:55 PM
Ray Andraka

Can you point to a reg tht says that? I don't think it is true. Mine was
IFR certified when I bought it, and it did not have alternate static (I've
since added it). Also the FAA materials for the IFR written mention several
times that breaking the VSI glass is the way to get alternate static on an
airplane that doesn't have a valve. I wouldn't think they'd make such a big
deal about it if an alternate static source was requried for IFR cert.

The CO wrote:

IIRC in fact, for an aircraft to be certified for IFR it has to have an
alternate
static source *as well*.

--
--Ray Andraka, P.E.
401/884-7930 Fax 401/884-7950

-Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Old March 3rd 04, 01:06 AM
John R. Copeland

"The CO" wrote in message =
=20
=20
Well the only tiny grain of truth in that statement is that a static
port can be occluded by a
foreign object. On the ground this can be something like an insect
setting up housekeeping
in it, in flight ice is probably the biggest risk factor. Since loss =

of
the static port will bugger up
3 basic flight instruments (altimeter, ASI and VSI) this is =

non-trivial.
=20
The CO
=20
=20

Well, let me tell you of the time my airplane was released from an =
annual
inspection with the static line open to the air in my pressurized cabin.
Since I'm cautious, I'd waited for MVFR conditions before launching.

My cabin began to pressurize just as I entered the base of the stratus,
and my rate of climb suddenly showed zero, among other annoying signs.
I continued my climb by maintaining attitude until I popped out on top,
and asked for an ILS approach and return for landing.
An airliner ahead of me called out the tops of the clouds, so I had
a pretty good idea of my altitude before intercepting the ILS.

If I hadn't been so close to the airport, I'd probably have thought =
about
dumping pressurization to see if the altimetry would come back,
but in this case it was easy just to return and let the mechanic
re-connect the hose. He was pretty embarrassed.
---JRC---

Old March 3rd 04, 03:55 AM

Ray Andraka wrote:

Also the FAA materials for the IFR written mention several
times that breaking the VSI glass is the way to get alternate static on an
airplane that doesn't have a valve. I wouldn't think they'd make such a big
deal about it if an alternate static source was requried for IFR cert.

It should be mentioned here that this trick only works on an
unpressurized a/c. You won't get much activity on the VSI needle
if you try this with a pressurized aircraft!.

--

-Gord.
Old March 3rd 04, 05:01 AM
The CO

"Ray Andraka" wrote in message
Can you point to a reg tht says that? I don't think it is true. Mine

was
IFR certified when I bought it, and it did not have alternate static

(I've
since added it). Also the FAA materials for the IFR written mention

several
times that breaking the VSI glass is the way to get alternate static

on an
airplane that doesn't have a valve.

That might work if the cabin was unpressurised, depends on whether the
guage face
was vented to the static side of the pressure balance.

I wouldn't think they'd make such a big
deal about it if an alternate static source was requried for IFR cert.

Ah, in Australia mate. I can't quote the ANO/R off the top of my head
but
to be certified for Class 1 it needs an alternate static source IIRC.
I'll see if
I can find the ANO/R somewhere.
(ANO= Air Navigation Order ANR= Air Navigation Regulation)

I can't speak for the FAA, so if they don't require alternate static
source for
Class 1 IFR I'm rather surprised, but I guess it could be the case, I
don't know.

Class 4 IFR (NVMC) doesn't require it in Oz.

The CO