Turn coordinator? How dare they!

Old February 13th 13, 05:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brad[_2_]

Default Turn coordinator? How dare they!

I can use the $500 or so odd bucks it takes to enter a contest and take several tows at my favorite mountain site. Fly as hard as I do/did in a contest and have as much or more fun. And I don't have to disable my gyro.

How do I know? I have flown contest(s)

Brad
Old February 13th 13, 11:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Wednesday, February 13, 2013 10:50:37 AM UTC-5, AGL wrote:
since you "don't do competition", how do you know? . . . by helping at contests.

The people I've enjoyed at contests are one of the biggest reasons why I've been flying contests for the last 36 years.
I've encountered many more of the A*** types on RAS in the last year than in all the contests I've flown.
Obviously a different experience
UH
Old February 13th 13, 11:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
SoaringXCellence

And to all of you that say "I keep it in the panel for safety", When was the last time you tried to control the ship by TC reference (combined with Vario input)? I fly "partial" panel almost daily with students (CFII as well as CFI-A/G), but it's a fleeting skill.

Safer yet is to never go where you might need it.
Old February 14th 13, 12:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brad[_2_]

On Wednesday, February 13, 2013 3:26:31 PM UTC-8, wrote:
On Wednesday, February 13, 2013 10:50:37 AM UTC-5, AGL wrote:

since you "don't do competition", how do you know? . . . by helping at contests.

The people I've enjoyed at contests are one of the biggest reasons why I've been flying contests for the last 36 years.

I've encountered many more of the A*** types on RAS in the last year than in all the contests I've flown.

Obviously a different experience

UH

Hank,

I enjoyed flying the R8 contest last year. I enjoyed hanging out and flying with the folks I met, it was a lot of fun.

I choose not to spend the dwindling time or finances available to me on contests, not because I am an asshole, but because I choose other aspects of soaring to participate in.

Brad
Old February 14th 13, 01:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AGL

SNIP

I choose not to spend the dwindling time or finances available to me on contests, not because I am an asshole, but because I choose other aspects of soaring to participate in.

Clarification is required because there are two conversations going on:

http://www.simplypsychology.org/personality-a.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Type_A_...onality_theory

Thanks

(A at work, B at the field)

Old February 14th 13, 01:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Wednesday, February 13, 2013 7:11:32 PM UTC-5, Brad wrote:
On Wednesday, February 13, 2013 3:26:31 PM UTC-8, wrote: On Wednesday, February 13, 2013 10:50:37 AM UTC-5, AGL wrote: since you "don't do competition", how do you know? . . . by helping at contests. The people I've enjoyed at contests are one of the biggest reasons why I've been flying contests for the last 36 years. I've encountered many more of the A*** types on RAS in the last year than in all the contests I've flown. Obviously a different experience UH Hank, I enjoyed flying the R8 contest last year. I enjoyed hanging out and flying with the folks I met, it was a lot of fun. I choose not to spend the dwindling time or finances available to me on contests, not because I am an asshole, but because I choose other aspects of soaring to participate in. Brad

Cool- you're maxing your fun ticket usage which is what it really is all about.
I just get crazy when people dump on competition, or OLC, or whatever. There are lots of ways to have fun and none of them get better by dumping on the other guy.
UH
Old February 14th 13, 01:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brad[_2_]

On Wednesday, February 13, 2013 5:24:45 PM UTC-8, AGL wrote:
SNIP

I choose not to spend the dwindling time or finances available to me on contests, not because I am an asshole, but because I choose other aspects of soaring to participate in.

Clarification is required because there are two conversations going on:

http://www.simplypsychology.org/personality-a.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Type_A_...onality_theory

Thanks

(A at work, B at the field)

clarification provided once I know who is requesting said clarification.
Old February 14th 13, 02:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Wednesday, February 13, 2013 8:27:06 AM UTC-6, Sean F (F2) wrote:
No way this potential cheater (why else would he have a TC?) would reveal himself. :-)

I have a great idea for next year. Special contest for Sean and his buddies.. IGC club class only. Grand Prix rules, with no finish minimum, with full IGC protocols -- jury, stewards and all. Full panel IFR (artificial horizon) required. Flarm units with leech mode enabled required. The new DeLorme every minute tracker required, and each pilot's "team captain" will radio up other pilot's positions and weather from ground control. Units: Metric. Language: Only Norwegian and Polish allowed -- need to practice up for the WGC, guys!

(Sorry, can't seem to wait for April 1!)
Old February 14th 13, 03:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard Walters

At 01:44 13 February 2013, Sean F F2 wrote:
I noticed the fancy panel photo being used by the SSA to entice

people to
t=
ry soaring (home page of letsgogliding.com) features a BIG, FAT

GYRO
DRIVEN=
turn coordinator. I can't believe this has been allowed to remain

for
nea=
rly a year as it is obviously blasphemy! I'll give it 24 hours

before
this=
is removed.

Just sayin.....

Just to lighten the midwinter mood of our gentleman's ( and
woman's) sport. My dad was crewing the WGC in Sweden in 1950
and brought back a 2- 1/4" turn and bank. After he sold his LK he
loaned it to Jack Bamberg who installed it in his BG-12. Shortly
thereafter Jack landed in a sewer treatment pond. It has not
worked quite the same since.

Richard Walters
longing for the days of Joe Emons, Ben Greene, Gren Siebels and
their ilk.