Cavelamb did you post the Video on the Cygnet?

Old August 7th 09, 07:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
canuck_bob

Default Cavelamb did you post the Video on the Cygnet?

I was looking at the youtube video of the Cygnet and wondered if it
was you that posted it?
Old August 7th 09, 08:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
cavelamb[_2_]

canuck_bob wrote:
I was looking at the youtube video of the Cygnet and wondered if it
was you that posted it?

I posted one. Dunno if it's the one you saw or not.
That's the engine that went into my red and white parasol.

Richard
Old August 8th 09, 01:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
canuck_bob

On Aug 7, 1:34*pm, cavelamb wrote:
canuck_bob wrote:
I was looking at the youtube video of the Cygnet and wondered if it
was you that posted it?

I posted one. *Dunno if it's the one you saw or not.
That's the engine that went into my red and white parasol.

Richard

I am considering the Cygnet as a project.and was wondering what your
thoughts are on the plane, please?

Bob
Old August 8th 09, 04:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Peter Dohm

"cavelamb" wrote in message
m...
canuck_bob wrote:
I was looking at the youtube video of the Cygnet and wondered if it
was you that posted it?

I posted one. Dunno if it's the one you saw or not.
That's the engine that went into my red and white parasol.

Richard

I lloked and found 2 attributed to you. Looks like a nice little aircraft.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oKee...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvkQT...eature=related

Peter

Old August 8th 09, 07:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
cavelamb[_2_]

canuck_bob wrote:
I was looking at the youtube video of the Cygnet and wondered if it
was you that posted it?

I posted one. Dunno if it's the one you saw or not.
That's the engine that went into my red and white parasol.

Richard

I am considering the Cygnet as a project.and was wondering what your
thoughts are on the plane, please?

Bob

It's a very nice little airplane.
Steel tube fuselage, wood wing, slightly swept forward for CG.

The simple fact that it carried two on a VW engine (2180) is impressive
enough, but the builder wanted better climb, so I bought the VW and he
installed a Continental A-65.

With the A-65 in it, it will accelerate and climb way better.
Perky, even!

Richard

Old August 8th 09, 08:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
canuck_bob

Bob

It's a very nice little airplane.
Steel tube fuselage, wood wing, slightly swept forward for CG.

The simple fact that it carried two on a VW engine (2180) is impressive
enough, but the builder wanted better climb, so I bought the VW and he
installed a Continental A-65.

With the A-65 in it, it will accelerate and climb way better.
Perky, even!

Richard

Interesting, I'm considering an A65 because I own one. Thanks for the
info. Is the visibility as good as it seems?
Old August 8th 09, 09:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
cavelamb[_2_]

canuck_bob wrote:
Bob

It's a very nice little airplane.
Steel tube fuselage, wood wing, slightly swept forward for CG.

The simple fact that it carried two on a VW engine (2180) is impressive
enough, but the builder wanted better climb, so I bought the VW and he
installed a Continental A-65.

With the A-65 in it, it will accelerate and climb way better.
Perky, even!

Richard

Interesting, I'm considering an A65 because I own one. Thanks for the
info. Is the visibility as good as it seems?

Just the way it looks.
A bit blind aft, with the wing in the way, but comfortable anyway.

I've built and flown several VW powered airplanes.
Contrary to common opinion, I wouldn't recommend it to anybody.
Each time I thought, ok, NOW I know what to do better.

In the end, the full blown 2180 did fly well, but weighed in at
208 pounds (!) But a Rotax 582 could fly circles around it.

We live, we learn.
Hopefully we survive to try again...

I think you would enjoy the Cygnet.
Keep it light and simple.
It would be a fine flying machine.

Richard
Old August 8th 09, 11:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
canuck_bob

Thanks Richard,

I really like the layout and thought for a long term project it would
be a little unique and the plane has a solid record for a strong
airframe.

I'm planning an affordable plane, mild steel tubing except for primary
flight load tubes, locally procured wood and building supplies, etc.
I'm a big guy so I feel I would need more than a VW. They are also
much more expensive to procure here in Canada.

I've looked at the Corvair as a possibility and it has some promise.
It needs modification to add a thrust washer at the prop end and a
fifth bearing to take other prop loads. That starts to get pricey
quickly. I am not fond of the 2 stroke Rotax engines, however the
Yamaha 700cc triple snowmobile engine interests me. Piston seizure
caused by shock cooling and heating seems to be real common on air
cooled 2 strokes in planes. The Yamaha is a triple water cooled
engine. Smooth and the best reliability of any sled engine I've
researched. This is my other choice for an alternative engine. As
much as I like 4 stroke the power to weight advantage of tuned 2
strokes is impressive. First choice is always a small Continental but
every potential repair problem is horribly expensive.
Old August 9th 09, 01:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
cavelamb[_2_]

canuck_bob wrote:
[...]

Piston seizures and shock cooling seem to be mostly operator error.
At least that's my opinion - from my own experience.

Having said that, may I point out that the Rotax 582 (and 618) are water cooled.
Old August 9th 09, 03:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
canuck_bob

I am familiar with the Rotax' engines as almost all my meager flight
time is behind either 503 or 582 engines, some 900 series as well.

I agree about the operator error but I like the incredible smoothness
of the triple Yamaha. It would produce a conservative 75 to 80 hp
with 75 ft. lbs of torque at 6800 rpm. It is also very common locally
with lots of highly qualified shops used to mountain tuning.

Post Annual Flight check - Video A Lieberma[_2_] Owning 3 January 23rd 09 03:34 PM
Post Annual Flight check - Video [email protected] Instrument Flight Rules 2 January 18th 09 01:30 AM
Post Annual Flight check - Video [email protected] Piloting 0 January 16th 09 01:03 AM
To Cavelamb... Scott[_1_] Home Built 7 June 28th 07 03:30 AM
Cygnet J.Kahn Home Built 0 January 7th 07 08:43 PM