OT Flying an A320 :)

Old November 26th 04, 02:51 PM
Capt.Doug

"Morgans" wrote in message I fear you were aiming your bus driver
comments straight at me. I deserve
your reply. I realized as soon as I sent the send that what I wrote was
insensitive and incomplete.

Apologies, but I hadn't read your post before I replied to Ram. If I am
expected to engage you in a flame-fest, please let me know. :-)

D.

Old November 27th 04, 12:02 AM
Morgans

"Capt.Doug" wrote in message news:%

Apologies, but I hadn't read your post before I replied to Ram. If I am
expected to engage you in a flame-fest, please let me know. :-)

D.

I thought you had gotten the "bus driver" comment from my post, which was
why I was posting a retraction. I have no desire to engage in a flame fest
with you, or anyone else.

I have the greatest respect for what you do, and if given the choice, I
would be up there "driving the buses" with you. :-)

By the way great post you wrote, a day or two ago. Keep 'em coming.
--
Jim in NC

---

Old November 27th 04, 09:20 AM
Ramapriya

Bob Moore wrote in message .121...

Not so fortunate in propeller driven general aviation aircraft...
in turns, the pilot must use the rudder controls to keep the a/c
from yawing.

Bob Moore CFI
ATP B-707 B-727
PanAm (retired)

Bob, since you're an experienced pilot, can you explain (preferably
with an example) what exactly are the various elements of a flight
plan? Of the stuff I got to see and learn on that flying trip, the
flight plan was the one thing that was just not intuitive at all, and
appeared awfully complex to comprehend. Not wanting to lose out
precious time on one particular aspect, I left it at that.

Also, it totally escaped my attention to ask the pilots what exactly
is vertical damping. John Denker's otherwise excellent material didn't
do much to explain vertical damping easily enough...

Thanks in advance,

Ramapriya

Old November 27th 04, 04:14 PM
C Kingsbury

The difference between flying a Cessna 172 and an A320 is the difference
between driving a motorboat and an oil tanker. The goal of the A320 is to be
as boring as possible.

The glory days of being an airline pilot are long gone. With each decade we
see less reliance on individual skill and judgment and more on automation
and procedure. It is still a challenging job and I doubt we will ever see
pilotless commercial aircraft, but for the most part progress has
dramatically increased safety for all. The same thing happened long ago in
the maritime realm when we stopped relying on sails to push us across
oceans. It still requires significant skill to pilot that tanker across the
ocean but not like it used to, and it's orders of magnitude less dangerous.

-cwk.

Old November 28th 04, 02:21 AM
Ramapriya

Bob Moore wrote in message .121...

The "flight plan" can mean either of two things. One is the
documentation of the planning that the pilot or flight
dispatcher (or computer) has done to serve as directions for
the flightcrew to follow. Second is a document filed with
Air Traffic Control telling them what you would like to do
and requesting their clearence for that flight.
Pilots tend to call both "the flight plan", but at the old
Pan American Airways, the first was refered to as the
"Flight Plan Analysis" to distinguish it from the ATC FP.

Bob Moore

I meant the 6-odd line of very complicated-looking information filed
with Air Traffic Control. What was astonishing was the captain
mentioning that it's a job the airliners' desk clerks normally do!!
Guess the entire industry consists only of blokes with super IQ
levels, because I don't think I'd ever be able to do a Flight Plan on
my own

Ramapriya

Old November 28th 04, 03:56 AM
Capt.Doug

"Morgans" wrote in message
Jim in NC

Thanks.
My ranting comes from an inner self that will be kicking and screaming as
they drag me off my cable-operated jetliner into one of them flying
computers.
I go into Andrews-Murphy once in a while. How far is that from you?

D.

Old November 28th 04, 05:20 AM
Morgans

"Capt.Doug" wrote

I go into Andrews-Murphy once in a while. How far is that from you?

D.

A looong way, because I'm not flying, due to medical problems, and "you
can't get there from here" by car. It is at least 2 1/2 hours by car, and
maybe more.

Sport pilot is in my future, but right now, with one in Med school and one
at college, the extra funds are not there. Soon, very soon, but not soon
enough!

Most people have no idea how big North Carolina is, from East to West. I've
never done it, but you could easily eat up 10+ hours driving the whole width
of the state.

Have a good one!
--
Jim in NC

---

Old November 28th 04, 05:25 AM
Morgans

"Morgans" wrote

A looong way, because I'm not flying, due to medical problems, and "you
can't get there from here" by car.

Jim in NC

Here, is near Hickory (HKY)

---