Old, bold Sport pilots

Old April 8th 05, 01:18 PM
Cub Driver

Default Old, bold Sport pilots

In its email newsletter this morning, AOPA boasted that it would
provide insurance to older pilots within certain limitations: no more
than 4 pax, value less than $100,000, and -- get this! -- 3rd class
medical every year!

This would seem to rule out flying on a driver's license "medical."

-- all the best, Dan Ford

email (put Cubdriver in subject line)

Warbird's Forum:
www.warbirdforum.com
Piper Cub Forum: www.pipercubforum.com
the blog: www.danford.net
Old April 8th 05, 01:30 PM
Icebound

"Cub Driver" wrote in message

In its email newsletter this morning, AOPA boasted that it would
provide insurance to older pilots within certain limitations: no more
than 4 pax, value less than $100,000, and -- get this! -- 3rd class
medical every year!

This would seem to rule out flying on a driver's license "medical."

You may correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think you are going to take
*4* pax on a driver's licencse medical, anyway? Is not the SP limit, like,
1 ??

Old April 8th 05, 03:52 PM
Ross Richardson

Cub Driver wrote:

In its email newsletter this morning, AOPA boasted that it would
provide insurance to older pilots within certain limitations: no more
than 4 pax, value less than $100,000, and -- get this! -- 3rd class
medical every year!

This would seem to rule out flying on a driver's license "medical."

-- all the best, Dan Ford

email (put Cubdriver in subject line)

Warbird's Forum:
www.warbirdforum.com
Piper Cub Forum: www.pipercubforum.com
the blog: www.danford.net

I have been a member of AOPA since 1970. I thought this was one of the
times that they didn't belly up to the bar on the 3rd Class each year.
They promote a drivers licence for the sport and rec licenses and in my
state I think it is every 5 or 6 years on a drivers license. And the
argument is that a very small percentage of the accidents are medical
relivent. There should be no limitations on the 3rd class medical.

Ross
Old April 8th 05, 09:06 PM
Jerry

Falcon Insurance associated with the EAA can provide sport pilot insurance.
I switched from the AOPA to EAA insurance for that reason. Insurance says
Medical Certificate when required.

Jerry in NC

"Ross Richardson" wrote in message
news

Old April 9th 05, 03:57 AM
Ross Oliver

There was no mention that this was specific to Sport Pilots in the article
on the AOPA web site:
http://www.aopa.org/whatsnew/newsite...insurance.html
I assumed the article was describing an insurance program for older
Private Pilots. I would be interested to know what the age cutoff
is for insurance companies to stop writing new policies. The article
does not quantify "older."

Old April 9th 05, 12:09 PM
Cub Driver

On Fri, 8 Apr 2005 08:30:11 -0400, "Icebound"
wrote:

In its email newsletter this morning, AOPA boasted that it would
provide insurance to older pilots within certain limitations: no more
than 4 pax, value less than $100,000, and -- get this! -- 3rd class
medical every year!

This would seem to rule out flying on a driver's license "medical."

You may correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think you are going to take
*4* pax on a driver's licencse medical, anyway? Is not the SP limit, like,
1 ??

You're correct, but that's hardly the point. You aren't REQUIRED to
carry 3 passengers (plus the pilot; I should have been more specific)
in order to get the insurance! It's an outside limit, like the $100K.

Old April 9th 05, 12:10 PM
Cub Driver

On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 09:52:02 -0500, Ross Richardson
wrote:

I have been a member of AOPA since 1970. I thought this was one of the
times that they didn't belly up to the bar on the 3rd Class each year.
They promote a drivers licence for the sport and rec licenses and in my
state I think it is every 5 or 6 years on a drivers license. And the
argument is that a very small percentage of the accidents are medical
relivent. There should be no limitations on the 3rd class medical.

Now that we're talking about old, bold pilots, New Hampshire requires
a road test at 75 and at each renewal. I don't know how long it's good
for.

I have a friend whose father was n his 90s and had to take the thang
every year. She would drive him over. On the last occasion, when he
was 96, he came out from the office saying: :"Never again!" She
assured him that of course he would be back. He showed her the
license: they had by error renewed it for four (five?) years, so he
would have been over 100 on his next occasion.

(He didn't make it to 100, as it happened.)

Old April 9th 05, 12:12 PM
Cub Driver

On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 20:06:44 GMT, "Jerry"
wrote:

Falcon Insurance associated with the EAA can provide sport pilot insurance.
I switched from the AOPA to EAA insurance for that reason. Insurance says
Medical Certificate when required.

Good to know. Thanks.

I won't rent without insurance, and my FBO has the same rule. It's a
major factor in deciding whether to go to Sport Pilot privileges.