GP Gliders

Old January 3rd 18, 12:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default GP Gliders

Is there any update on GP Gliders USA? Last news is Tim McAllister decided to close GP Gliders North America.
Old January 3rd 18, 03:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]

On Tuesday, January 2, 2018 at 4:25:54 PM UTC-8, wrote:
Is there any update on GP Gliders USA? Last news is Tim McAllister decided to close GP Gliders North America.

That's unfortunate.
Would have been nice to hear this directly from Tim instead of what seems to be rumo(u)rs.com, especially from some unknown person who doesn't sign a name.
The announcement alluded to is here.
https://www.gpglidersusa.com/
Jim
Old January 3rd 18, 03:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

subscribers to Tim's GP email list got an announcement from him.
Old January 3rd 18, 05:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul T[_4_]

wrote:
Is there any update on GP Gliders USA? Last news is Tim McAllister

decided to close GP Gliders North America.

That's unfortunate.
Would have been nice to hear this directly from Tim instead of what

seems
to be rumo(u)rs.com, especially from some unknown person who

doesn't sign a
name.
The announcement alluded to is here.
https://www.gpglidersusa.com/
Jim

Hardly surprising when FAI are constantly moving goal posts with the
class that the manufacturer are aiming at. The GP14 would not have
been legal in 13.5m class, except if flown by a lightweight jockey if FAI
kept the proposed 35kg/m wingloading limit and self launch capability. .
Perhaps why the FAI move to 15m - give the GP15 Jetta a chance at
some sales? Just another 'rich boys' class now though and debatable
wether it is 'gliding/soaring'.

Old January 3rd 18, 07:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Been a mess for years. I remember the mess when they changed the standard class years ago. But once they standardized things into the old standard class, 15 meter, and open, It would have been just fine in absorbing all of the 18 and longer winged ships, as well as keep an aiming point for manufacturers. I know for a period of about 25 years, the manufacturers had a good run of "stabilized class rules" in order to develop and produced new ships.

I really thought 13.5 would catch on for race folks with limited budgets, but it looks like it has morphed into another "whoever has the most money" wins class.
Old January 3rd 18, 07:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike C

On Wednesday, January 3, 2018 at 12:07:49 PM UTC-7, wrote:
Been a mess for years. I remember the mess when they changed the standard class years ago. But once they standardized things into the old standard class, 15 meter, and open, It would have been just fine in absorbing all of the 18 and longer winged ships, as well as keep an aiming point for manufacturers. I know for a period of about 25 years, the manufacturers had a good run of "stabilized class rules" in order to develop and produced new ships.

I really thought 13.5 would catch on for race folks with limited budgets, but it looks like it has morphed into another "whoever has the most money" wins class.

Money has always been a limiting factor in the growth of soaring, and as cost keeps edging more and more towards exotic high price gliders soaring will continue to loose more future participants than it will gain.

One bright spot is that we have the Club Class that is still somewhat fair, although some think that ASW27's and similar should be included for handicapped racing.

Mike
Old January 3rd 18, 08:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Yes I hear you Mike. As for the club class, I like the concept but the handicapping definitely needs some tweeking. For example, I know some tremendous contest experienced libelle drivers, but the way the handicap works, the more modern ships always score higher. That tells me something is amiss.
Old January 4th 18, 05:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul T[_4_]

Club Class should be 'FAI definition' club class but the USA always
seems to go its own perverted little way for whatever reasons.However
FAI are now trying there best to make this more expensive to
participate in by changing the handicaps to make newer - read more
expensive ships have a competitive edge. The change in handicaps they
recently brought in and the anomaly's were so ridiculous you had to
laugh. The FAI are helping to slowly kill off the sport along with all the

'regulators' out there. World class was a good concept - maybe the
wrong choice of glider - if it had been an ASW19B/LS4/Discus 1 one
design class- probably be the most popular class now.

Old January 4th 18, 07:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I hear ya there Paul. That's why I fly with the 1-26 guys. Sure I would like to race with something more forgiving L/D wise, but I am not willing to put up with all the b.s. that "modern" racing entails. The 1-26 assoc has always been common sense based, minimalistic in regards to rules and eminently affordable. Not to mention they are a really great bunch of guys. Super competative and competent. But totally willing to help out newcomers with any tricks to make these little machines or their pilots perform better.
Old January 4th 18, 07:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I was hoping the 13.5 meter class was going to be this way, but it has gone exactly like tge other classes.

Self Fly Gliders Karl Striedieck[_2_] Soaring 13 October 20th 16 06:13 PM
How gliders fly Frank Whiteley Soaring 6 March 19th 15 01:31 PM
L13/L23 gliders Pavel Rind Soaring 25 March 1st 11 06:09 AM
L 13/L13 A gliders Pavel Rind Soaring 0 February 23rd 11 08:23 AM
Gliders? Ben Jeffrey Soaring 1 September 3rd 08 09:25 PM