Comanche accident averted last evening

Old April 7th 05, 11:34 PM
Ben Jackson

On 2005-04-07, Andrew Gideon wrote:
When I first checked out in a retract, I kept having these nightmarish
thoughts "did I remember to lower the gear". This was usually as I was
driving away from the airport.

Same here. That nonsensical pang of "did I land gear up???" 10 minutes
after you've pushed the plane into the hangar is very odd.

I'm amazed that people manage to land Comanches gear up. Vle is higher
than Vfe and if you don't use the gear to slow down to flap speed you
have to pull off a lot more power. Every time I've ever gotten my
configuration wrong (during IFR training, for example) the fact that my
performance isn't what I expected led me to figure out what was wrong.

--
Ben Jackson

http://www.ben.com/
Old April 8th 05, 02:04 AM
Robert Chambers

Yes, FOK has a large ANG contingent so they always give you the "check
gear down, cleared to land" - in a fixed gear it's kind of funny but if
you transition to retractable, you may well appreciate that bit of wording.

FOK has a good resturant too, all the more reason!

Joe Johnson wrote:

"kontiki" wrote in message

Towers at military fields issue a "check gear down" instruction along
with the landing clearance... I always thought that would be a good
idea for GA also.

So that's why they do it at KFOK (Gabreski/Suffolk County, NY). Doing touch
& goes there in a fixed-gear Cessna 172, ATC told me "check gear down" each
time. I must have sounded a little snotty when I replied, "I couldn't raise
the gear if I wanted to." On the other hand, I've never heard that at KSTW
and KBAF, which are also mixed-use GA/military fields.

Old April 8th 05, 02:25 AM
BTIZ

the tower may not have been so concerned about the gear up landing.. and
depending on locations etc... the tower operator may not be able to see the
gear... like looking towards final into a setting sun...

he just did not want his runway closed.... LOL

Good call on the tower operator... I'd bet he has saved more than one runway
closure from a gearless aircraft.

BT

wrote in message
oups.com...
Just another day of flying in the bay area yesterday - or so I thought.
It was past 7:45 pm. Beautiful evening sunset. Winds 330@12. No gusts.
No turbulence. I was on my third touch and go. A Comanche was inbound
and cleared to land on RWY31. I was cleared for the option (number two)
and requested a short approach. On right downwind, Tower instructed me
to do a Left 360 for separation with the Comanche so as to enable my
"short approach" request. After the 360, I re-entered midfield right
downwind and saw the Comanche go past the numbers... just beginning her
flare. At that very moment, Tower in a very calm (yet urgent) tone said
"No gear. Go around. No landing gear Comanche x-x-Yankee. Go around
now!". My eyes were popping out of my sockets as I saw the Comanche
pull away into the air with less than ten feet distance from the
runway. As I pulled my throttle and descended a few seconds later, I
heard the Comanche pilot thank the controller as he flew the pattern...
his voice shaking in disbelief. He said he did everything he usually
does... not sure how or why he missed extending the landing gear. I
don't think he slept well in the night. Thankfully, plane & pilot got
away without harm.

I have a new level of respect for ATC after what happened today. And an
even higher level of respect for Checklists!

- Aman

Old April 8th 05, 04:57 AM
Highflyer

"Dan Girellini" wrote in message
kontiki writes:

Towers at military fields issue a "check gear down" instruction along
with the landing clearance...

Do you have to positively ack the gear down instruction?

D.

No. You can if you want to though! :-) I used to fly a Seabee. You want
the gear UP for a water landing and the gear DOWN for a runway landing. I
used to announce "This is a WATER landing. The landing gear is UP" and then
look out my window at the gear and look at it and then say "My landing gear
is UP." For a land landing I would make suitable adjustments. Sometimes
passengers looked at me funny, but I never landed with the gear in the wrong
position! :-)

Highflyer
Highflight Aviation Services
Pinckneyville Airport ( PJY )

Old April 8th 05, 05:02 AM
Highflyer

wrote in message
ups.com...
Nothing worse than that sinking feeling just before you hear the
tortured sound of metal on the runway. Then discovering you have to use
full power to taxi......
I've made it a habit to do a "short final Checklist"...levers forward,
gear down and locked. It has saved me from that embarassing sinking
feeling a couple times while distracted on short final.

Ol S&B

I remember many years ago we had a Bonanza land. He was going to retract
the flaps on rollout and hit the gear switch instead. Then a bump in the
runway lifted him off the "squat switch" and the gear instantly retracted
putting him on his belly.

We notified the FAA and they send an inspector down from the GADO ( now
FSDO ). He flew over to our airport in one of the FAA's light twins. And
proceeded to land gear up! We gave him a bad time about having to send
another inspector down to investigate HIS gear up landing! He was a mite
embarassed. :-)

Old April 8th 05, 01:10 PM
Ron Natalie

Robert Chambers wrote:
Yes, FOK has a large ANG contingent so they always give you the "check
gear down, cleared to land" - in a fixed gear it's kind of funny but if
you transition to retractable, you may well appreciate that bit of wording.

Yep, I learned from the National Guard pilots to make my report with the
"Gear Down":
27K Left Base, Gear Down.
That usually staves off them asking.
Old April 8th 05, 01:12 PM
Ron Natalie

Highflyer wrote:

No. You can if you want to though! :-) I used to fly a Seabee. You want
the gear UP for a water landing and the gear DOWN for a runway landing. I
used to announce "This is a WATER landing. The landing gear is UP" and then
look out my window at the gear and look at it and then say "My landing gear
is UP." For a land landing I would make suitable adjustments. Sometimes
passengers looked at me funny, but I never landed with the gear in the wrong
position! :-)
In the seabee it's a bigger deal to land gear down in the water than

gear up on the land. Just a little scraping and difficulty with taxi.

Old April 8th 05, 02:00 PM

Highflyer
The story about 'Water Landing" is about the same checklist when I was
doing SES instruction in a LA-4. I laughed at the section on insurance
forms when it says, Have you ever made a gear up landing? and my reply
was "Yes, hundreds of times."
Had a GADO inspector (does that tell you how long back that was?) come
in to inspect a minor crop dusting crash (mine). The stud duck came
into our strip with a Bonanza. Landed OK. It was a 1200' grass strip.
When he left, he taxied to the end of a one way strip and began the
take off. I ran out and waved my arms in a vigorous fashion and he
aborted the takeoff. I pointed at the powerlines and he smiled in a
bashful fashion and took off the opposite direction. The inspector who
came in next was in a Citabria and landed over the powerlines, then
proceeded to flip the airplane upside down! We never got much heat from
the GADO after that..... was in 1968, SHV GADO so they are long gone.
Ol S&B

Old April 9th 05, 04:43 AM
Highflyer

"Ron Natalie" wrote in message
Highflyer wrote:

No. You can if you want to though! :-) I used to fly a Seabee. You
want the gear UP for a water landing and the gear DOWN for a runway
landing. I used to announce "This is a WATER landing. The landing gear
is UP" and then look out my window at the gear and look at it and then
say "My landing gear is UP." For a land landing I would make suitable
adjustments. Sometimes passengers looked at me funny, but I never landed
with the gear in the wrong position! :-)
In the seabee it's a bigger deal to land gear down in the water than

gear up on the land. Just a little scraping and difficulty with taxi.

That is very true. Any amphibian, even amphibious floats, when landed on
water with the wheels down will generally make for a real "slam dunk" and
the airplane will do its best to emulate a submarine.

Any amphibian, landing on land with the wheels up, will generally scrape a
bit off the keels and scratch a little paint if you land on pavement and
likely won't do a thing if you land on grass.

We used to land airplanes on straight floats on the grass every fall to
change them over to wheels or skis for the winter. In the spring we would
put the floats back on and take off either with a dolly that stayed on the
runway, or off of wet grass!

Old April 9th 05, 04:54 AM
Highflyer

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

I bought that Seabee from a guy who kept it on Lake Bistaneau. I traded him
a Stits Playmate for it.

I taught myself how to fly instruments with no gyros one morning coming out
of Marshall, Texas when I flew into a fog bank that was kind of hidden in
the trees at the end of the runway. It gets your attention when you have NO
instruments and you get whited out at 50 feet AGL. It makes a good hangar
flying story! You CAN keep the wings level with nothing but a magnetic
compass in you know your airplane and are heading south! :-)