Checkout in a G1000 C182

Old April 9th 05, 10:13 PM
Greg Esres

Default Checkout in a G1000 C182

Our flight school has received a C182 with a G1000. The checkout
requirements are going to be 5 hours VFR and an additional 5.6 hours
for IFR pilots. Oh, and about 6 hours of ground prior to that. Let's
see, 10.6 hours * $210/hour = $2,226 for the flying, plus $180 for the
ground, for a grand total of $2,406.

Does anyone find this excessive?

Old April 9th 05, 10:44 PM
Peter Clark

On Sat, 09 Apr 2005 21:13:46 GMT, Greg Esres
wrote:

Our flight school has received a C182 with a G1000. The checkout
requirements are going to be 5 hours VFR and an additional 5.6 hours
for IFR pilots. Oh, and about 6 hours of ground prior to that. Let's
see, 10.6 hours * $210/hour = $2,226 for the flying, plus $180 for the
ground, for a grand total of $2,406.

Does anyone find this excessive?

If you already know the 182, you can probably get that down to 1.5
hours VFR. It took me around 5 hours to get the system down for IFR
(partial panel, approaches, futzing around with flight plans, etc), so
IMO (and from what our instructors say) about 6-7 hours is the average
to get used to the system and flying approaches with it. Obviously,
YMMV.

Old April 9th 05, 10:48 PM
Greg Esres

It took me around 5 hours to get the system down for IFR
(partial panel, approaches, futzing around with flight plans, etc), so
IMO (and from what our instructors say) about 6-7 hours is the average
to get used to the system and flying approaches with it. Obviously,
YMMV.

Would already being familiar with 430/530 operations reduce that any,
do you think?

Old April 9th 05, 11:26 PM
jsmith

My experience playing with the G1000 at AOPA Expo in Philly last year is
that the G1000 is tremendously easier then either the 430 or the 530.

Old April 9th 05, 11:29 PM
Peter Clark

On Sat, 09 Apr 2005 21:48:33 GMT, Greg Esres
wrote:

It took me around 5 hours to get the system down for IFR
(partial panel, approaches, futzing around with flight plans, etc), so
IMO (and from what our instructors say) about 6-7 hours is the average
to get used to the system and flying approaches with it. Obviously,
YMMV.

Would already being familiar with 430/530 operations reduce that any,
do you think?

Sorry, only been behind Bendix/King stuff before my G1000 182 work. I
do hear that the systems are similar though, so you might be able to
cut some additional time off, but I couldn't start to quantify it.

Old April 9th 05, 11:32 PM
Steven Barnes

I was signed off in a G1000 Diamond Star after 1.2 hours. I had just
recently been checked out in a 530/430 Diamond Star, so I was somewhat
familiar with working those GPS's. The FBO didn't say, "no IFR", but I'd be
hard pressed to take it into any serious stuff.

They're alot of fun to fly behind, though.

Old April 10th 05, 12:55 AM
C J Campbell

"Greg Esres" wrote in message
Our flight school has received a C182 with a G1000. The checkout
requirements are going to be 5 hours VFR and an additional 5.6 hours
for IFR pilots. Oh, and about 6 hours of ground prior to that. Let's
see, 10.6 hours * $210/hour = $2,226 for the flying, plus $180 for the
ground, for a grand total of $2,406.

Does anyone find this excessive?

I think the ground is excessive. Why 5.6 hours for IFR pilots (as opposed to
some more even number)? Anyway, the whole thing tends to be insurance
driven, so reasonable has nothing to do with it.

Old April 10th 05, 01:39 PM
bdl

Skyline Aero (http://www.skylineaero.com) has a G1000 Training course
(now FITS approved it looks like) which is a requirement to rent their
DA40's. They list its cost as $1,229.00. They are also going to
require this course for their C182 Garmin 1000's when they come on the
line supposedly.

I had inquired about rental rates, etc. when I was there taking my
instrument knowledge test. The ground course was like 10 hours as I
recall, and the checkout required 2 flights, one with a CFI on staff,
and the other with their chief flight instructor. (6 hours of flight
time total at $125/hour)

Seemed excessive to me at the time and now as an owner don't think I'll
be plunking down almost $2k for the priveledge of renting it. One of
their CFI's did do a quick run-down of the features while he was
showing me the plane (I was sitting in the cockpit) and it's a really
nice system. The cross-country aspects are really nice (fuel range
estimates on the moving map, etc). But as he was twiddling all the
buttons I got a quick overload feeling. A self-taught computer
simulator (similar to garmin's 430 simulator or etc, would go a long
way toward making someone proficient).

The DA40 is interesting in a cabin aspect as well in that the front
seats are fixed (the rudder pedals move) and seemed cramped to me
(although it had great visibility. You actually sit well foward of the
wing. The back seats seemed HUGE however.

YMMV,

Brian

Old April 10th 05, 09:38 PM
Matt Barrow

"Greg Esres" wrote in message
Our flight school has received a C182 with a G1000. The checkout
requirements are going to be 5 hours VFR and an additional 5.6 hours
for IFR pilots. Oh, and about 6 hours of ground prior to that. Let's
see, 10.6 hours * $210/hour = $2,226 for the flying, plus $180 for the
ground, for a grand total of $2,406.

Does anyone find this excessive?

To fly a new generation $350,000 aircraft, no.

Old April 10th 05, 09:49 PM
Matt Barrow

"C J Campbell" wrote in message

Does anyone find this excessive?

I think the ground is excessive. Why 5.6 hours for IFR pilots (as opposed

some more even number)?

Even an IFR pilot needs to learn the new avionics. The biggest factor being
they ain't "steam gauges" in there.

Imagine, too, the IFR pilot that is not "computer savvy".

While their hourly rate seems high, the number of hours doesn't.

Lastly, how many threads here have tried to contrast the difference in
flying "style" between highly TRAINED professional and their amature GA
counterparts.

Anyway, the whole thing tends to be insurance
driven, so reasonable has nothing to do with it.

The biggest part of Citation training is learning the avionics, particualrly
the FMS/EFIS systems.

--
Matt

C182 - Intermittent Alternator WinstonCup Owning 9 November 12th 04 12:22 AM
c182 fuel burn Rob Timmerman Owning 18 July 7th 04 03:46 PM
C182 Glass Panel Scott Schluer Piloting 15 February 27th 04 03:52 PM
Garmin G1000 Foster Owning 2 July 20th 03 06:45 PM