Cool attitude indicator

Old April 10th 05, 10:09 PM
Icebound

"Icebound" wrote in message

I wish he had supplied pictures...

I found one!

This looks like an early prototype picture of what he was talking about:
http://www.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca/aboutUs/co...ge2e_e.html#a4

Old April 10th 05, 10:14 PM
G. Sylvester

The very first AIs, then developed in Germany, worked that way, and
studies seem to imply that it's more intuitive.

that's a funny statement. I worked for a Germany company for 5 years
and lived in MUC for a couple. German engineering is great if it has
been refined for many years like their automotive companies. Newer
German designed equipment makes no sense at all. My company had
some equipment with left-handed screws (worse yet it would jam if
you "opened" the screw by turning it to the left when locked).
I just did my German taxes using a German program. To go forward,
you would hit the Zuruck button which means "back." Even my German
friend who was helping me told me to "Shut up. I know it's crazy.
It's German."

nevertheless, having the plane tilt is probably a better concept.
After all, on the TC, the plane moves and not the backing. Now
that I am programmed for the non-USSR-designed AI, I'll stick with it
as I can't imagine how long it would take for me to change.

Gerald Sylvester
Old April 10th 05, 10:18 PM
tom418

You should have seen me, the first time behind an FD-109
On the A/I, the bank scale is fixed with the airplane, and the pointer is
level with the horizon- the opposite of what I was used to. Made for some
interesting moments.

"Kev" wrote in message
oups.com...
The AI is an instrument that's overdue for better human engineering.

Almost everyone's had a moment of confusion figuring out which way the
plane was banking, because of the way the horizon moves but the
airplane "wings" stay level.

I believe NASA's done studies showing that if you simply had the
current AI's "wings" tilt towards the side you were turning, pilots had
no problem instantly understanding their situation.

I seem to recall ads in old magazines pushing a visual horizon line on
the windshield such as you described. I think this was pre-laser.

I also saw a neat AI from the '60s on eBay that actually had a little
dome protuding towards you, with a tiny model airplane inside. If you
were banking / diving the little plane was too. Very cool.

Cheers, Kev

Old April 10th 05, 10:22 PM
Icebound

"Matt Barrow" wrote in message

"Kev" wrote in message
oups.com...
The AI is an instrument that's overdue for better human engineering.

Which is why ADAHRS is coming on so fast.

ADAHRS might address the old vacuum-driven gyro technology of the
conventional AI, but that still does not address what display should be
presented to the pilot. The ADAHRS systems that I see advertised on the
internet present essentially the same sort of view as a conventional AI.

Old April 10th 05, 10:50 PM
Jose

To go forward,
you would hit the Zuruck button which means "back."

I'm contemplating the bottom left of my computer screen, and thinking of
Abbot and Costello.

Jose
--
Get high on gasoline: fly an airplane.
Old April 10th 05, 11:01 PM
Stefan

G. Sylvester wrote:

I just did my German taxes using a German program. To go forward,
you would hit the Zuruck button which means "back."

I know a cetain operating system which requires you to click on "start"
to turn it off... Incidentally, it's not a German design.
:-P

Stefan
Old April 10th 05, 11:58 PM
Peter Duniho

"Stefan" wrote in message
I know a cetain operating system which requires you to click on "start" to
turn it off

It also requires you to click "start" to run programs. To change settings.
To view files. To search for files.

In other words, in that context, it ought to be pretty obvious to all but
the most dim-witted that you might find a whole host of interesting
functions, like turning off the computer, there.

Why people continue to insist bring this up as if it's some failure of user
interface design, I have no idea.

I have heard there's another OS that puts the "turn off" function under a
menu named "Special". What's so special about turning off the computer?
And why aren't activities that are truly special not found there?

Pete

Old April 11th 05, 12:04 AM
Robert B.

"Peter Duniho" wrote in message
"Stefan" wrote in message
I know a cetain operating system which requires you to click on "start"

turn it off

It also requires you to click "start" to run programs. To change

settings.
To view files. To search for files.

In other words, in that context, it ought to be pretty obvious to all but
the most dim-witted that you might find a whole host of interesting
functions, like turning off the computer, there.

Why people continue to insist bring this up as if it's some failure of

user
interface design, I have no idea.

I have heard there's another OS that puts the "turn off" function under a
menu named "Special". What's so special about turning off the computer?
And why aren't activities that are truly special not found there?

Pete

How about having to drag an icon of a diskette to the Trashcan to eject the
thing? Talk about intuitive!

Old April 11th 05, 12:11 AM
Matt Whiting

Peter Duniho wrote:

"Stefan" wrote in message

I know a cetain operating system which requires you to click on "start" to
turn it off

It also requires you to click "start" to run programs. To change settings.
To view files. To search for files.

In other words, in that context, it ought to be pretty obvious to all but
the most dim-witted that you might find a whole host of interesting
functions, like turning off the computer, there.

Why people continue to insist bring this up as if it's some failure of user
interface design, I have no idea.

Because it IS a failure of UI design. Then again, to say that Windows
was designed, is to misuse the word in the first place.

Matt
Old April 11th 05, 02:33 AM
Peter Duniho

"Matt Whiting" wrote in message
news
Because it IS a failure of UI design. Then again, to say that Windows was
designed, is to misuse the word in the first place.

And here I was thinking that, of the two Matt's posting these days, you
actually had a clue.

Sorry I have been proved wrong.