Cool attitude indicator

Old April 11th 05, 06:12 AM
Morgans

"Matt Whiting" wrote

Because it IS a failure of UI design. Then again, to say that Windows
was designed, is to misuse the word in the first place.

There are things all over the place that are counter intuitive. Like the
Western AI, and windoz, when you get used to something, it is not a problem.
--
Jim in NC

Old April 11th 05, 10:00 AM
Thomas Borchert

Robert,

How about having to drag an icon of a diskette to the Trashcan to eject the
thing? Talk about intuitive!

Well, until this day I have this vague notion in the back of my head that it
will delete the contents rather than ejecting it whenever I do it. Very
disturbing.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old April 11th 05, 11:07 AM
Stefan

Peter Duniho wrote:

I have heard there's another OS that puts the "turn off" function
under a menu named "Special". What's so special about turning off the
computer?

Nothing, that's why the've moved it to an other place a couple of years ago.
(And you talk to Matt about having a clue... Let's hope your clue is
better when you talk about aviation.)

Stefan
Old April 11th 05, 11:09 AM
Stefan

Thomas Borchert wrote:

How about having to drag an icon of a diskette to the Trashcan to eject the
thing? Talk about intuitive!

Well, until this day I have this vague notion in the back of my head that it
will delete the contents rather than ejecting it whenever I do it.

You still do? Interesting, since they've changed this a couple of years ago.

Stefan
Old April 11th 05, 12:36 PM
Thomas Borchert

Stefan,

You still do? Interesting, since they've changed this a couple of years ago.

Not in a company where we still use OS 9.2. Yes, there's a world out there
which is called "reality".

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old April 11th 05, 02:03 PM
Stefan

Thomas Borchert wrote:

Not in a company where we still use OS 9.2. Yes, there's a world out there
which is called "reality".

I know this world pretty well, believe me. But then, to be fair, we
should compare it to Windows 3... or even better, stop this discussion,
because it is a) off topic and b) boring.

Stefan
Old April 11th 05, 06:01 PM
Darrell S

If you are VFR and enter a bank the airplane actual wings stay in the same
position in relation to your head/body and the external earth/sky is what
moves in your vision. That's why the AI does the same thing. The aircraft
symbol remains fixed and the earth/sky portion is what moves when you roll.
The aircraft symbol is FIXED and is basically strapped to your butt. Think
that way and you'll have no "moment of confusion". On some aircraft
displays the aircraft symbol/wings is actually painted on the display.

--

Darrell R. Schmidt
B-58 Hustler History: http://members.cox.net/dschmidt1/

"Kev" wrote in message
oups.com...
The AI is an instrument that's overdue for better human engineering.

Almost everyone's had a moment of confusion figuring out which way the
plane was banking, because of the way the horizon moves but the
airplane "wings" stay level.

I believe NASA's done studies showing that if you simply had the
current AI's "wings" tilt towards the side you were turning, pilots had
no problem instantly understanding their situation.

I seem to recall ads in old magazines pushing a visual horizon line on
the windshield such as you described. I think this was pre-laser.

I also saw a neat AI from the '60s on eBay that actually had a little
dome protuding towards you, with a tiny model airplane inside. If you
were banking / diving the little plane was too. Very cool.

Cheers, Kev

Old April 11th 05, 06:05 PM
George Patterson

Kev wrote:

Almost everyone's had a moment of confusion figuring out which way the
plane was banking, because of the way the horizon moves but the
airplane "wings" stay level.

It was never confusing to me. When I'm in visual conditions and bank the
aircraft, the real horizon moves but the aircraft's wings stay level from my
point of view. The AI behaves just like the real world.

George Patterson
There's plenty of room for all of God's creatures. Right next to the
mashed potatoes.
Old April 11th 05, 06:39 PM
Peter Duniho

"Stefan" wrote in message
Nothing, that's why the've moved it to an other place a couple of years
ago.

What's that got to do with it, other than an admission that the original
design (used almost two decades) was wrong?

(And you talk to Matt about having a clue... Let's hope your clue is
better when you talk about aviation.)

Since you haven't contradicted a single thing I said, you have no point.

Pete

Old April 11th 05, 07:13 PM
Stefan

Peter Duniho wrote:

Since you haven't contradicted a single thing I said, you have no point.

Better no point than no clue ... or, even worse, no sense of humour.

Stefan