Brampton Flying club funnies

Old April 12th 05, 08:13 PM
K. Ari Krupnikov

Default Brampton Flying club funnies

I got a phone call today from a collection agency - for the first time
in my life. The gentleman said I owed the Brampton, Ontario flying
club CAN $16.00 and how would I like to settle that. I rented from
them several times in 2003 when I visited a cousin who lives in
Toronto. At first, I was terrified at the thought that I somehow never
paid for these flights. Then the amount sank in - sixteen dollars, not
a hundred and sixty, not sixteen hundred, and Canadian dollars at
that. Terror gave way to surprise at why the club didn't contact me
directly. I called the club and asked what was the deal. When I tried
to phonetically spell my last name, their accountant asked if I could
use "letters" because she did not understand "that pilot thing". She
said the charge was a landing fee at CYOW which I thought I'd paid for
(I also bought fuel there), but I didn't have receipts from 2 years
ago and didn't want to argue over such a ridiculous sum, so I just
paid.

This story has left me utterly bewildered. Naturally, an FBO should
not pay renter pilots' landing fees. There is no disagreement
there. But how Brampton chose to go about collecting this fee
was... erm... surprising.

Ari.

--
Elections only count as free and trials as fair if you can lose money
betting on the outcome.

Old April 13th 05, 10:22 AM
G Farris

In article ,
says...

Well, if you're not local (and I'm assuming you're not) a flying club
doesn't have the resources to go looking for you. Our flying club hasn't
turned over any outstanding debts to collections in my tenure, and instead
we've wasted HOURS of volunteer time tracking down people who've moved. I
think next time we're going to try the collection agency.

And you can be sure they'll be HIGHLY motivated by the 15% they can recover!

Old April 13th 05, 05:54 PM
Steve Foley

About twenty years ago, I did some work for a video store.

The owner would accrue late charges for three years ($1 per day for 1000
days). At the end of the three years, he would write off the bad debt, and
send the offender ( and he IRS ) a 1099 for the amount.

This was back when Massachusetts used a Social Security number for a license
number.

I changed my license number then next time I renewed.

"Paul Tomblin" wrote in message
In a previous article, (G Farris) said:
In article ,
says...
Well, if you're not local (and I'm assuming you're not) a flying club
doesn't have the resources to go looking for you. Our flying club

hasn't
turned over any outstanding debts to collections in my tenure, and

instead
we've wasted HOURS of volunteer time tracking down people who've moved.

think next time we're going to try the collection agency.

And you can be sure they'll be HIGHLY motivated by the 15% they can

recover!

Well, in this case they obviously got the attention of somebody who only
owed $15, right? We had one guy who owed us $6,000 and we spent literally
*all* of our club officers volunteer time for 6 months tracking him down
and calling to get the money. We eventually got the money, but if we
could have gotten half of that back with one phone call to a collection
agency, we would have been far ahead.

Read "Acts Of Gord" (
http://www.actsofgord.com/) to hear about people
who'd gladly default on something as stupid as a rented video game, and
then come crawling back begging to make things right when they find that
they can't get a car loan until they get the debt off their credit record.

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
QUOTE OF THE DAY:

`

Old April 13th 05, 10:57 PM
K. Ari Krupnikov

(Paul Tomblin) writes:

In a previous article, (G Farris) said:
In article ,
says...
Well, if you're not local (and I'm assuming you're not) a flying club
doesn't have the resources to go looking for you.

Funny that, because the collection guy called me on the same cell
number I left with Brampton as my contact number. Wonder where he got
it from.

And you can be sure they'll be HIGHLY motivated by the 15% they can recover!

Well, in this case they obviously got the attention of somebody who only
owed $15, right? We had one guy who owed us $6,000 and we spent literally

That was exactly was ticked me off. I was not trying to defraud them
out of their money. I was not aware that I owed them money (I was sure
I paid the landing fee when I was buying fuel at CYOW). If they'd have
called me two years ago, I'd have happily paid them then. If they'd
have called any time during these two years, I'd have happily paid
then. They could have just charged it to the credit card I left on
file with them. Instead, they treated me like a thief.

I don't know if they got a new eager accountant or what. Maybe at the
time, they decided that the $15 charge wasn't worth the long distance
call and the credit card overhead. And then when they got a new
accountant she decided to go through their books and see what "debts"
she could collect and just shipped them all off, wholesale, to
collection.

Ari.

--
Elections only count as free and trials as fair if you can lose money
betting on the outcome.

Newbie Qs on stalls and spins Ramapriya Piloting 72 November 23rd 04 04:05 AM
Considerations for joining flying club Marty Ross Piloting 17 September 18th 04 06:24 PM
SoCal Flying Club Kelly Bakst Piloting 0 September 13th 04 09:06 PM
Club Management Issue Geoffrey Barnes Owning 150 March 30th 04 06:36 PM
Bell 47 Flying Club Atlantic City John P. Kelly Rotorcraft 0 July 23rd 03 12:48 AM