KLEW vs. KAUG

Old April 15th 05, 08:23 PM
Andrew Gideon

Default KLEW vs. KAUG

Assuming no difficulties, I plan to do my commercial solo XC next week. I
originally chose KAUG as the 250+ plus point. I essentially chose it from
a list of places recommended by a local FBO, it being in the right
direction that I can visit some family in between.

But it is (according to airnav) 286 miles from my starting point (KCDW). I
noticed another airport that looks nice, KLEW, that's only 260 miles. 26
miles is no big deal, of course, but I'm wondering why the FBO listed the
further airport.

Alas, nobody there seems to remember why.

So...for people familiar with KLEW and/or KAUG: any recommendations or
insights?

- Andrew

P.S. It appears from the AF/D that I can reach departure from
the ground from both for a clearance (should I decide to
file), right?

Old April 15th 05, 09:56 PM
Bill Zaleski

On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 15:23:15 -0400, Andrew Gideon
wrote:

Assuming no difficulties, I plan to do my commercial solo XC next week. I
originally chose KAUG as the 250+ plus point. I essentially chose it from
a list of places recommended by a local FBO, it being in the right
direction that I can visit some family in between.

But it is (according to airnav) 286 miles from my starting point (KCDW). I
noticed another airport that looks nice, KLEW, that's only 260 miles. 26
miles is no big deal, of course, but I'm wondering why the FBO listed the
further airport.

Alas, nobody there seems to remember why.

So...for people familiar with KLEW and/or KAUG: any recommendations or
insights?

- Andrew

P.S. It appears from the AF/D that I can reach departure from
the ground from both for a clearance (should I decide to
file), right?

Nice restaurant for breasfast and lunch @ KLEW
Nicer FBO also.

Old April 16th 05, 02:49 AM
Judah

I've never been to KAUG, but have flown to KLEW many times.

It's a very nice local airport, with a full-service FBO and a restaurant
on the field. Nice big runways for an airport in the middle of nowhere!

Plus if you're based in CDW, you can get to LEW without having to buy an
extra sectional...

Andrew Gideon wrote in
online.com:

Old April 16th 05, 03:26 AM
Andrew Gideon

Judah wrote:

Plus if you're based in CDW, you can get to LEW without having to buy an
extra sectional...

Laugh

Alas, too late.

- Andrew

Old April 16th 05, 05:56 AM
BTIZ

I flew out of AUG for many years.. having lived just a few miles down the
river.. but now I live in the desert southwest. I'm not sure if the
restaurant on the field is still open. It opens and closes without notice,
but it was open when I was home last summer. If it is not, it's a quick walk
down the hill to lots of fast food and restaurants, time it right, and
someone will probably give you a free ride.

One thing about AUG not experienced at many airports.. it sits on a hill
top... the approach to every runway is to a bluff.. carrier style... on
windy days you'll find sinking air on short final.. the air flow up and over
the top.. flowing down the other side.. which just happens to be the
approach end. It's especially fun watching people make approaches to Rwy26,
the short cross wind runway, carrying too much speed, the other end comes up
very quickly.

The FBO on the field, Maine Instrument Flight, has been there for many
years.. great people, family owned.

I even had fun one summer.. going back to fly.. and needing a "local check
out", the Chief CFI and DPE who were both students when I was there many
years before, teamed me up with a young instructor. "Take him around the
pattern a few times and make sure he's ok" , was the direction they gave
him.

So off we go, when we got back and the new CFI is entering his signature to
my log book, that I am "qualified to fly their Sundowner", I catch the CFI
and DPE watching. I comment, it flew the same as it always did. The CFI
gives me this quizzical look, then I flipped back about 20yrs in my log
book, and show him the same N-numbers in my book from many of the aircraft
that are still in the flight school.

Great School.
BT

online.com...