Great Story in this month's AOPA Pilot by Rick Durden

Old July 20th 03, 04:29 AM
Jay Honeck

Default Great Story in this month's AOPA Pilot by Rick Durden

Our own Mr. Durden has published a wonderful tale in the new AOPA Pilot mag
about the experience of watching his daughter, Amelia, solo a glider on her
14th birthday.

As the father of a daughter who is just 4 years shy of that age, I can
attest to the fact that there is NO WAY I can imagine her soloing an
aircraft of any kind. My stomach tightened as I read the story, thinking
about what it would be like watching my little Rebecca wheeling and soaring
overhead. I actually shed a tear when Amelia successfully completed her
solo flight, and palpably felt Rick's relief upon seeing her perfect
landing.

Great story, Rick. Thanks for giving me yet ANOTHER reason to fear the
future...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old July 20th 03, 02:44 PM
Jay Honeck

Jay.. every child is different.. just as is every pilot.. we see "those
that
can and those that should not" every season at our glider club.

What's REALLY scary is that my son is already 12, going on 13. In another
year (!) HE'S going to be bugging me about this.

Yikes!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old July 20th 03, 04:00 PM
Jay Honeck

Jay, _YOU_ always demanded more pilots and people associated with GA. :-)
Now it seems that you like everybody else beeing a pilot but your son?
*hehe*

Oh, I'm all for him flying. And my daughter, too.

I just don't want to see it, or think about it!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old July 20th 03, 05:00 PM
Big John

Jay

Just wait until he gets in your car if you are a worry wart.

Been there, worried through it.

Big John.

Old July 20th 03, 05:17 PM
Dan Luke

"Jay Honeck" wrote:
As the father of a daughter who is just 4 years shy of that age, I can
attest to the fact that there is NO WAY I can imagine her soloing an
aircraft of any kind.

Just wait until she starts "soloing" boyfriends. You'll wish she was looking
for slope lift in the Rockies, instead!
--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old July 20th 03, 05:24 PM
Jay Honeck

Just wait until she starts "soloing" boyfriends. You'll wish she was
looking
for slope lift in the Rockies, instead!

Augh! You guys are killing me!

--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old July 20th 03, 07:33 PM
BTIZ

Jay... find a local glider club and get involved.. with your hotel.. your
son can easily "work for flight time".. which I'm sure he already does for
"allowances"

nice thing about clubs... there are lots of pilots there who tend to "look
after the fledglings".. (and agreed, there are some that don't, that's
society)..

BT

Old July 20th 03, 11:32 PM
Chris W

Jay Honeck wrote:

Our own Mr. Durden has published a wonderful tale in the new AOPA Pilot mag
about the experience of watching his daughter, Amelia, solo a glider on her
14th birthday.

Speaking of gliders. I was wondering how much it costs compared to renting say
a 172. I am guessing that with out the big money eating hunk of aluminum the
propeller is attached to, a glider would be significantly less money to fly?
In flat land (Oklahoma, no slope soaring) how long can you keep it up on a nice
hot sunny summer day?

Chris Woodhouse
Oklahoma City

"They that can give up essential liberty
to obtain a little temporary safety
deserve neither liberty nor safety."
-- Benjamin Franklin, 1759 Historical Review of Pennsylvania

Old July 21st 03, 01:51 AM
BTIZ

cost depends on whether you rent from a commercial operation.. or invest
time and $$ in a club operation..

CLUB RATES: We have Schweitzer 2-33s and 1-26s for rent at $12/hr and with a
$20 charge for tow.. that equates to $32 the first hour, and $12/hr after
that.

A nice 2 seat Grob 103 is $36/hr or $30/hr with ten hour prepaid blocks
A very nice 1 Seat LS4 is $30 or $27 prepaid (10 hrs)

Can't touch those at commercial operations for less than $50/hr, plus the
tow to get started.

As for how long can you fly?? depends on the weather.. hot summer sun in
OKC.. most all day.. the "lift" should start by noon and fly until sunset.

Schweitzer 2-33 and 1-26 L/d of about 23/1
Grob 103, 36/1
LS4 41/1
That means at 41/1 for every 1000ft of altitude you can glide appx 7nm in
still air.

BT

Old July 22nd 03, 08:01 AM
Montblack

How much do clubs charge for "winch" launches, if they have a winch? Do most
clubs have one?

I was fascinated by the farm machinery type launchers (winches) in the
Glider Ride thread. Some of them looked like very nice($$) farm machinery.

http://www.wolds-gliding.org/launfacl.htm

http://www.skylaunch.de/album/index.html

http://makeashorterlink.com/?Q23F51855
(Glider Ride thread from last week)

--
Montblack

(BTIZ wrote)
snip
Can't touch those at commercial operations for less than $50/hr, plus the
tow to get started.

As for how long can you fly?? depends on the weather.. hot summer sun in
OKC.. most all day.. the "lift" should start by noon and fly until sunset.

George W. Bush Abortion Scandal that should have been Psalm 110 Military Aviation 0 August 12th 04 09:40 AM
Diamond DA-40 with G-1000 pirep C J Campbell Instrument Flight Rules 117 July 22nd 04 05:40 PM
bush rules! Be Kind Military Aviation 53 February 14th 04 04:26 PM
PFC Lynch gets a Bronze Star? Brian Military Aviation 77 August 2nd 03 11:15 AM