Patching Baffling, 3/32 C-Sunk Rivets, 1100 Aluminum?

Old January 30th 04, 02:31 PM
jls

Default Patching Baffling, 3/32 C-Sunk Rivets, 1100 Aluminum?

Old baffles need upkeep in this neck of the woods. I was going to try my
hand at countersinking 3/32 rivets and hereby ask advice what is the best
way to press in the dimple, best tool too and where to buy it. Because on
the cylinder side of the baffle, like the opposite side of a plate nut, you
don't want anything protruding.

Also isn't baffling pure aluminum? Or something like 3003 or 5052? I was
thinking of using something soft because of the tendency for cracking.

Thanks.

Old January 30th 04, 10:07 PM
Orval Fairbairn

In article ,
" jls" wrote:

Old baffles need upkeep in this neck of the woods. I was going to try my
hand at countersinking 3/32 rivets and hereby ask advice what is the best
way to press in the dimple, best tool too and where to buy it. Because on
the cylinder side of the baffle, like the opposite side of a plate nut, you
don't want anything protruding.

Also isn't baffling pure aluminum? Or something like 3003 or 5052? I was
thinking of using something soft because of the tendency for cracking.

Thanks.

Theoreticall, you can countersink .032 aluminum, when you use 3/32"
rivets. Practically, however, this is bad practice, as there is zero
tolerance for error. It is far better to dimple the aluminum, using
dimple dies. You can use a hand squeezer or a power squeezer.
Old February 2nd 04, 10:45 PM
O-ring Seals

On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 09:31:25 -0500, " jls"
wrote:

Old baffles need upkeep in this neck of the woods. I was going to try my
hand at countersinking 3/32 rivets and hereby ask advice what is the best
way to press in the dimple, best tool too and where to buy it. Because on
the cylinder side of the baffle, like the opposite side of a plate nut, you
don't want anything protruding.

Also isn't baffling pure aluminum? Or something like 3003 or 5052? I was
thinking of using something soft because of the tendency for cracking.

Thanks.

For cooling baffle material, I find that 6061-T4 usually works pretty
well.

O-ring