A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Discus CS wing water dump seats (seals)

Old October 29th 18, 08:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Discus CS wing water dump seats (seals)

Per Schempp-Hirth, I am the owner of a Discus CS with NON-Schempp-Hirth water dump seats on the wing dump valves. Per S-H, ALL S-H, including CS's, have aluminum discs for seats. My ship has what appears to be rubber or similar material for seats. Soon, they will be leaking and though I think I have figured out how to replace them, I am open to suggestions from anyone with first-hand knowledge of replacing non-aluminum seats. Big question for that person(s) is where do you get the part? And, what is the serial number of your ship?

Related question: if you own a Discus CS, would you please look at your seats (underside of each wing, near root) and, if you find that yours are NOT aluminum, let me know the serial number so that I can bring S-H that information.

Visible on my seat is a rubber seat in the center of which is a brass hex head with a female 8 mm thread for the pull-down tool. Standard S-H is simply an aluminum disc with and 8 mm female thread.

I am listed on the SSA website and you are welcome to contact me directly there if you prefer.

Thanks for any help.
Old October 30th 18, 12:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
krasw
external usenet poster

On Monday, October 29, 2018 at 10:50:25 PM UTC+2, wrote:
Per Schempp-Hirth, I am the owner of a Discus CS with NON-Schempp-Hirth water dump seats on the wing dump valves. Per S-H, ALL S-H, including CS's, have aluminum discs for seats. My ship has what appears to be rubber or similar material for seats. Soon, they will be leaking and though I think I have figured out how to replace them, I am open to suggestions from anyone with first-hand knowledge of replacing non-aluminum seats. Big question for that person(s) is where do you get the part? And, what is the serial number of your ship?

Related question: if you own a Discus CS, would you please look at your seats (underside of each wing, near root) and, if you find that yours are NOT aluminum, let me know the serial number so that I can bring S-H that information.

Visible on my seat is a rubber seat in the center of which is a brass hex head with a female 8 mm thread for the pull-down tool. Standard S-H is simply an aluminum disc with and 8 mm female thread.

I am listed on the SSA website and you are welcome to contact me directly there if you prefer.

Thanks for any help.

All old Schempp valves leak sooner or later (and probably new ones, too). If they leak only a little pilots usually grease the seats. Then the grease collects sand particles and soon you have a moderate leak. Then pilots pull the valve with hand tool and voila, you have a huge leak. The seal is done pretty much between gelcoat and aluminium. It does not take engineer to figure out how good seal can be made with that.

Your rubber seat sounds like space age tech, you might want to hold on to those for a long time.

First rule of all maintenance regarding water ballast: if it works, do not touch it. (Second rule: filter the water).
Old October 30th 18, 02:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta
external usenet poster

On my LAK-17a I lubricated the valve seats with chap stick.Â* I cleaned
them each time to avoid dirt build up.

On 10/30/2018 6:53 AM, krasw wrote:
On Monday, October 29, 2018 at 10:50:25 PM UTC+2, wrote:

Thanks for any help.

All old Schempp valves leak sooner or later (and probably new ones, too). If they leak only a little pilots usually grease the seats. Then the grease collects sand particles and soon you have a moderate leak. Then pilots pull the valve with hand tool and voila, you have a huge leak. The seal is done pretty much between gelcoat and aluminium. It does not take engineer to figure out how good seal can be made with that.

Your rubber seat sounds like space age tech, you might want to hold on to those for a long time.

First rule of all maintenance regarding water ballast: if it works, do not touch it. (Second rule: filter the water).

--
Dan, 5J
Old August 3rd 19, 09:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Monday, October 29, 2018 at 4:50:25 PM UTC-4, wrote:

Visible on my seat is a rubber seat in the center of which is a brass hex head with a female 6mm thread for the pull-down tool. Standard S-H is simply an aluminum disc with and 6 mm female thread.

Thanks for any help.

Dump Seal Solved!

Since S-H has been of no help at all, I have designed and can produce seals that are hard rubber, seal well with only a touch of wax, and can be replaced from the exterior and without cutting any holes in wings.

Also, this solution would work on virtually any S-H with aluminum dump seals still without cutting holes in wing to do so.

I am listed in the SSA member section if anyone has any interest in this solution.
Old August 4th 19, 03:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard Pfiffner[_2_]
external usenet poster

On Saturday, August 3, 2019 at 1:42:01 PM UTC-7, wrote:

Visible on my seat is a rubber seat in the center of which is a brass hex head with a female 6mm thread for the pull-down tool. Standard S-H is simply an aluminum disc with and 6 mm female thread.

Thanks for any help.

Dump Seal Solved!

Since S-H has been of no help at all, I have designed and can produce seals that are hard rubber, seal well with only a touch of wax, and can be replaced from the exterior and without cutting any holes in wings.

Also, this solution would work on virtually any S-H with aluminum dump seals still without cutting holes in wing to do so.

I am listed in the SSA member section if anyone has any interest in this solution.

How do we get in contact with you? all this thread shows is part of an email.

Richard
Old August 6th 19, 01:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Saturday, August 3, 2019 at 10:34:36 PM UTC-4, Richard Pfiffner wrote:
On Saturday, August 3, 2019 at 1:42:01 PM UTC-7, wrote:

Thanks for any help.

Dump Seal Solved!

How do we get in contact with you? all this thread shows is part of an email.

Richard

Go to SSA.org.Member Resources Member Locator: last name Campbell, State SC.