xcsoar

Old July 27th 09, 07:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim White[_3_]

Default xcsoar

HP310 works great once you have worked out the wrinkles:

1) don't let it run flat
2) sort out a way to charge / power it in flight
3) tape over the battery cover switch
4) put tape beside the on switch to prevent it being turned on accidently
in storage.
5) get your airspace and turnpoints sorted

Screen is good, XCsoar522 is good. I carry two for use in club duo fixed
to canopy with standard suction mount. Secondary power with 3500mah L-ion
battery connected with custom usb cable.

Jim

ps: use seeyou for comps in my own glider though.
Old July 27th 09, 10:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
brianDG303[_2_]

On Jul 27, 11:30*am, Jim White wrote:
HP310 works great once you have worked out the wrinkles:

1) don't let it run flat
2) sort out a way to charge / power it in flight
3) tape over the battery cover switch
4) put tape beside the on switch to prevent it being turned on accidently
in storage.
5) get your airspace and turnpoints sorted

Screen is good, XCsoar522 is good. I carry two for use in club duo fixed
to canopy with standard suction mount. Secondary power with 3500mah L-ion
battery connected with custom usb cable.

Jim

ps: use seeyou for comps in my own glider though.

Where did you get the custom cable?
Brian
Old July 28th 09, 04:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Adam

On Jul 26, 1:46*pm, "
wrote:
just revisited this software in its current version 5.2

Have to say this software has really matured and I was most impressed
with it whilst flying with it yesterday.

I particularly liked the custom terrain and waypoint downloading when
setting it up.

Check outhttp://xcsoar.org

Cheers

Al

I've been using it for 2 years now and like it a lot.

However, with my latest install (5.2.2?) in a newer pocket PC, I
cannot get the wind alorithm to work (ie, perform the calculation and
show me the vector based on circling drift, it always read "0").

Ideas on that??

/Adam

Old July 28th 09, 05:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Uncle Fuzzy

On Jul 27, 8:12*pm, Adam wrote:
On Jul 26, 1:46*pm, "
wrote:

just revisited this software in its current version 5.2

Have to say this software has really matured and I was most impressed
with it whilst flying with it yesterday.

I particularly liked the custom terrain and waypoint downloading when
setting it up.

Check outhttp://xcsoar.org

Cheers

Al

I've been using it for 2 years now and like it a lot.

However, with my latest install (5.2.2?) in a newer pocket PC, I
cannot get the wind alorithm to work (ie, perform the calculation and
show me the vector based on circling drift, it always read "0").

Ideas on that??

/Adam

Page 5 "Glide Computer" ... is you're 'Auto wind' set to "Both"? The
options a
Manual
Circling
ZigZag
Both

Cheers
Old July 28th 09, 07:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bryce

On Jul 27, 9:47*pm, Uncle Fuzzy wrote:
On Jul 27, 8:12*pm, Adam wrote:

On Jul 26, 1:46*pm, "
wrote:

[...]

Cheers- Hide quoted text -

For you guys looking for a cable solution for the PNA's..........Make
one out of a simle car cell phone charger. It steps 12V down to 5V
for most cell phones. For club ships we have a small gel cell comitted
to the PNA that get's moved between gliders.

XCSoar Rocks! I've had it on Ipaq's, a MIO Moov (that got stolen), and
now a teletype 7060 with a 7" screen. I am convinced however that the
HP310 is the way to go, and it's great help to have the PNA on a
ground retrieve too.

We're all looking forward to the OLC problem getting worked out!!
Old July 28th 09, 09:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
sisu1a

For you guys looking for a cable solution for the PNA's..........Make
one out of a simle car cell phone charger. *It steps 12V down to 5V
for most cell phones. For club ships we have a small gel cell comitted
to the PNA that get's moved between gliders.

Ipaq 31x chargers output 3.3vdc on pins 2 and 3 in addition to 5v and
neg on pins 1 and 5. Failure to feed it that will allow it to continue
draining internal power while in use. USB pins are limited to 500mA
and the 310 eats 700-800mA on full brightness so a standard single pin
5v arrangement is not adequate. The extra voltage kicks it into 'fast
charge mode' and allows it to drink external power while preserving
it's internal battery...

Having a loose gelcell sounds like a potential missile or control
jamming hazard (assuming the club ships do not have a proper battery
box to mount it in...). There are slick/small/cheap and readily
available 5-5.5vdc lithium-ion backup batteries around that even come
with their own chargers and work quite well (get one that can
discharge at 700mA or better for a 31x...) for this purpose. Commonly
the 3500mAh model is used for this, which is smaller than a deck of
cards but provides some 5 hours of power for a 31x on full brightness.
I have a 7200mAh (almost exactly the size of a card deck) unit for
using it outside my own ship which is equipped with a 12Ah 12v SLA
batt to a 5v converter.

All the 31x external battery solutions still require a cord with pins
2 and 3 jumped to the 5v pin, either bridged with the appropriate
resistors (my preference) or resistor network, or even just straight
bridged so they all have 5v (others have told me this is OK for power,
but not communicating data). The stock car charger/cig lighter cord
for the 31x already has this built in of course, should one want to
use 12v batteries and keep life simple (which goes completely against
being a glider pilot , although not as elegant or safe of a solution
for portability as the 5v options using a modded cord...

-Paul
Old July 28th 09, 12:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi,

I sell a very popular cable for connecting a Socket Mobile Power Pack to an
iPAQ 310. You can see details he
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/godda...mini-USB-Pwr-1

I also sell one for use with the Goddard PS-5a 12V to 5V power converter.
It has also been quite popular.
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/goddard.htm#I310-PS5a-1

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

"Bryce" wrote in message
On Jul 27, 9:47 pm, Uncle Fuzzy wrote:

Old July 28th 09, 03:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brian Bange[_2_]

To charge my 310, I carefully sawed the end off the car charger, then
soldered on two wires, strain reliefed them with a zip tie and hooked them
to the 12V ships power. The 310 "on" button glows orange for a few
minutes while charging off ships power, then turns green when the internal
battery is charged and the unit starts running off ships power. I was
taking it out of the ship and hooking it to the AC charger after flying,
but found that things worked better if I just left it in the ship. I run
the 310, a radio and a transponder off (2) 7AH lead acid batteries tied in
parallel and generally fly for 5 - 6 hours. So far everything is performing
great. XCSoar is wonderful on the 310.

BTW, we have 2 ClearNav's at my club now. It is the brightest display
that I have ever seen. Standing behind the wing before takoff in bright
sunlight, it was clearly readable. Wow!

Brian

Old July 28th 09, 04:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Uncle Fuzzy

On Jul 28, 7:30*am, Brian Bange wrote:
[...]

-Paul- Hide quoted text -

Oddly (normal for me) I decided that with all the things I own that
will plug into a cigarette lighter, it made sense to me to mount a
cigarette lighter socket in my glider.
Old July 28th 09, 06:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brian Bange[_2_]

Oddly (normal for me) I decided that with all the things I own that
will plug into a cigarette lighter, it made sense to me to mount a
cigarette lighter socket in my glider.

I tried that first, but found that the cigarette lighter socket that I
bought was not secure enough to trust in turbulence. I also didn't want
the USB wire bundled up and hanging off the instrument panel. So now
things are hard wired, bundled and behind the panel with only a few inches
of USB cable hanging out to plug the 310 into.

Brian

HP310 and XCSoar Jim White[_3_] Soaring 2 January 14th 09 06:15 PM
XCSOAR Travis Beach[_2_] Soaring 3 May 24th 08 03:36 PM
XCSoar vs SoarPilot? Frank Soaring 0 December 16th 06 08:07 PM
XCSoar jorgie Soaring 2 November 2nd 04 12:05 AM
XCSoar Robert Danewid Soaring 2 February 7th 04 01:30 PM