396 w/PS Eng audio panel problem

Old October 8th 07, 03:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Burns[_2_]

Default 396 w/PS Eng audio panel problem

I've got a friend that has been having problems with his 396 dropping all
satellites. He just emailed me the following:

"First, I finally isolated the problem to my audio panel. I had all the
radios off and still no GPS signal. Then just for fun I shut off the audio
panel and instantly the 396 locked on. After verifying this several times I
knew what was causing the problem but not how to fix it.

I talked to Garmin and PS eng at OSH along with several avionics shops and
none of them ever heard of my problem. They suggested that I relocate the
GPS antenna and wiring but that didn't help.

Last week I called tech support at PS Eng and they said they knew about the
problem and were able to reproduce it on the bench. They also said just send
it in for a no charge (same day) fix.

And hopefully that's that!"

Jim

Old October 8th 07, 10:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Mike Isaksen

"Jim Burns" wrote in message ...
Then just for fun I shut off the audio
panel and instantly the 396 locked on.

Jim, how did you shut off your audio panel?

Old October 8th 07, 10:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Burns[_2_]

Sorry, not my airplane/audio panel. This was a friend's of mine. I'm
guessing either an avionics master switch or a circuit breaker for the audio
panel was used.
Jim

Old October 8th 07, 11:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Newps

Mike Isaksen wrote:
"Jim Burns" wrote in message ...

Then just for fun I shut off the audio
panel and instantly the 396 locked on.

Jim, how did you shut off your audio panel?

Must not be a Garmin. The Garmin has an on/off switch.
Old October 9th 07, 01:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Kobra

Jim,

I have a PS Engineering 8000B audio panel and a Garmin 396 GPS. I've had
the combo over a year and have never had a problem.

The 396 is mounted on the yoke, I use the little stubby antenna only (the
Cardinal has a large sloping windscreen with plenty of sky for the unit to
see) and the XM antenna placed on the far left side of the glareshield. The
audio panel is in the top position in the radio stack.

I would be curious which GPS antenna your friend uses and which model PS
Eng. audio panel he has. If you have a chance to ask him, I'd be interested
to know.

Kobra

Old October 9th 07, 02:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Burns[_2_]

Kobra,
I'll be sure to do that, I'm interested as well. I know that he's had at
least one antenna upgrade and that the 396 is in a AirGizmo panel mount.

I'd be interested in hearing or reading PS Engineerings explanation and
solution. I couldn't find anything in their FAQs or elsewhere on their
website.

Jim

"Kobra" wrote in message
. ..
Jim,

I have a PS Engineering 8000B audio panel and a Garmin 396 GPS. I've had
the combo over a year and have never had a problem.

The 396 is mounted on the yoke, I use the little stubby antenna only (the
Cardinal has a large sloping windscreen with plenty of sky for the unit to
see) and the XM antenna placed on the far left side of the glareshield.

The
audio panel is in the top position in the radio stack.

I would be curious which GPS antenna your friend uses and which model PS
Eng. audio panel he has. If you have a chance to ask him, I'd be

interested
to know.

Kobra

396 w/PS Eng audio panel problem Jim Burns[_2_] Piloting 5 October 9th 07 02:18 PM
Audio Panel Suggestions Jay Honeck Owning 5 May 9th 05 02:00 PM
Audio Panel for Handheld [email protected] Home Built 6 May 6th 05 04:20 PM
RST-565 Audio Panel Jim Weir Owning 0 October 29th 04 08:57 PM
Terra Audio Panel Bill and Shannon Labath Piloting 1 November 10th 03 04:04 AM