Intercepting the ILS

Old January 27th 06, 09:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default Intercepting the ILS

wrote in message
oups.com...
The new CFII criticized this procedure and told me that the plate
specified 1800, and it was wrong to intercept at 2000. Which one was
right?

Assuming that by intercepting at 2,000 feet you're not infringing any other
published rules (e.g. airspace or specific instructions on the approach
plate) I would suggest you look at the published range for the ILS signal.
So long as you're within the published range of the glideslope signal when
doing a 2000' intercept, I can't see you're doing anything wrong -
particularly as you were presumably doing as you'd been told by an
authoritative controller. After all, it's common to fly the first bit of an
approach according to the book and then to take different instructions from
the controller.

D.

Old January 27th 06, 01:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

David Cartwright wrote:

Assuming that by intercepting at 2,000 feet you're not infringing any other
published rules (e.g. airspace or specific instructions on the approach
plate) I would suggest you look at the published range for the ILS signal.
So long as you're within the published range of the glideslope signal when
doing a 2000' intercept, I can't see you're doing anything wrong -
particularly as you were presumably doing as you'd been told by an
authoritative controller. After all, it's common to fly the first bit of an
approach according to the book and then to take different instructions from
the controller.

The published range of a G/S has little practical meaning to a pilot.
Unlike service volumes for VORs it has no flight plan or route
limitation aspect.

If you can receive the G/S prior to the PFAF, its only advisory in any
case, so you are free to use it as you choose, provided you don't
violate any minimum segment altitude or stepdown fixes or any aspect of
an ATC clearance.
Old January 27th 06, 07:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

If the pilot uses the glideslope for backup vertical guidance to give a
smooth transition to the final segment (while using the altimeter
readout outside the FAF to ensure he doesn't descend below 1800) then
what's wrong with that?

Nothing wrong with that.

That isn't really correct either. There's no necessity to monitor
the altimeter at SCK because there's no step-down fixes or other
crossing restrictions at issue. Above 1800 feet on the glideslope, the
glideslope is advisory, but the pilot is perforce satisfying the =1800
foot minimum altitude requirement. Below 1800 feet the glideslope
becomes primary. So in practical terms nothing happens at 1800 feet.
There's nothing to monitor. (OK. I know, you part 121 types have now
reached a point where the weather can below minimums without
necessitating a miss.)

At *Stockton* (the subject of the question), there is no legal issue.
At LAX on the Civet arrival, and other situations where there are
step-down altitudes on the localizer outside the PFAF, there is a
potential issue. The step down minima take precedence over the GS
altitude.

Old January 27th 06, 08:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

The altitude at the marker is a double check on the
altimeter and the glide slope. If the altimeter is set
incorrectly or broken or if you have intercepted the wrong
glide slope lobe, the pilot has an opportunity to catch the
error and figure out what is wrong.

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

some support

oups.com...

Old January 28th 06, 12:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

The altitude at the marker is a double check on the
altimeter and the glide slope. If the altimeter is set
incorrectly or broken or if you have intercepted the wrong
glide slope lobe, the pilot has an opportunity to catch the
error and figure out what is wrong.

That is of course true - but it's a different altitude, 1758 in this
case. It's the 1800 altiitude that loses significance once the GS has
been intercepted.

BTW, the chances of following the wrong lobe of the GS to the FAF
without noticing a problem is close to nil. It either has reverse
sensing or requires ridiculous rates of descent.

Old January 28th 06, 02:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

wrote:
[...]

We are procedurally in violent agreement. Nonetheless, the G/S is not
primary prior to the PFAF, any minimum altitude constraints
notwithstanding. That is the legalese of Part 97. I am just the messenger.
Old January 28th 06, 03:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

We are procedurally in violent agreement. Nonetheless, the G/S is not
primary prior to the PFAF, any minimum altitude constraints
notwithstanding. That is the legalese of Part 97. I am just the messenger.

We're agreed that at SCK following the glide slope down from the 2000
foot vector altitude is the best procedure. We're also agreed that the
G/S is not primary outside the PFAF. Instead, one must abide by the
published altitudes - in this case we must remain above 1800 until this
PFAF. At SCK, this is logically guaranteed by our "best procedure".

However, I detect that your position is still that some sufficiently
zealous FAA inspector could violate me for using the G/S to descend to
1800. (otherwise how could the new instructor be "technically
correct"?). I disagree. If that is your position, please cite which
verse of Part 97 that this zealous inspector could attempt to violate
me on? Which regulation does our agreed best procedure not comply
with?

It's pointless discussing legality without reference to the law.

Old January 28th 06, 10:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

wrote:
[...]

Look at an 8260-3 for any ILS approach. There is probably one or more
on the FAA's coordination web site today. The form is an individual
amendment to Part 97. It sets forth the courses, distances, minimum
altitudes, and location of P-FAF. It can be inferred from the context of
such regulatory document that the G/S is not the primary vertical
guidance mechanism prior to the P-FAF. That is the official view of
those who establish and implement the criteria.

This is reinforced by the fact that the AIM states that the lightening
bolt on NACO ILS charts (profile feather in Jepp charts) consitutes the
beginning of the ILS precision final approach segment. The FAA ILS
criteria for G/S obstacle clearance is not evaluated or used prior to
the PFAF. Intermediate and intial approach segment minimum barometric
altimetry fixes are used to define the vertical component of
intermediate and initial approach segments.
Old January 28th 06, 01:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Garner Miller wrote:

It's *vitally* important to check
the glideslope crossing altitude at marker, of course, to ensure that
you're not on a false glideslope.

The first false G/S above the normal G/S is typically 1500 higher at the
P-FAF. Only in extreme situations is it possible to intercept the false
G/S. And, of course, if you did, it would cause twice the descent rate
you expected once stablized on final approach.
Old January 28th 06, 06:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

I agree with everything you just wrote. But, you have not addressed
my question. In what way does/can following the glideslope from 2000
to 1800 feet at SCK violate the regulatory implications of the SCK
ILS's 8260-3?

There is no rule that says "thou shalt not follow the G/S unless it
is primary". What the rules say is "thou shall not bust the published
altitude restrictions prior to the PFAF".

Since it isn't logically possible to violate the altitude
restrictions *in this instance* by following the G/S, it can't be
illegal to do so.

The regulatory basis is 91.175(a) which requires "Unless otherwise
authorized by the Administrator, when an instrument letdown to a civil
airport is necessary, each person operating an aircraft, except a
military aircraft of the United States, shall use a standard instrument
approach procedure prescribed for the airport in part 97 of this
chapter."

Part 97 does not prescribe pilot technique. It prescribes the tracks
and altitudes to be flown. If those are complied with, there's no
possible violation.