396 question

Old December 12th 06, 02:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
dlevy

Default 396 question

I use mapsource with my 396. Occasionally an address is incorrect. That
got me wondering what is the process by which Garmin (or whoever) builds the
database? Can I submit an error to get the database fixed?

Old December 12th 06, 04:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
xyzzy

dlevy wrote:
I use mapsource with my 396. Occasionally an address is incorrect. That
got me wondering what is the process by which Garmin (or whoever) builds the
database? Can I submit an error to get the database fixed?

Garmin buys the database from a third party (I think Navteq, they also
supply google maps -- see if the same error shows up on google maps)

Old December 12th 06, 05:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Gig 601XL Builder

Are we talking a block off? A mile off? Or next town over?

I've noticed that Google maps, in some smaller towns especially on not main
roads seem to look like they are estimating based off of some more primary
street. My home address shows up one block away from where it really is and
I have a XX00 address and it shows on the corner a block East of where it
really is.

"dlevy" wrote in message news:OhBfh.14$Iz.13@bigfe9...
Wrong on Yahoo maps too.

"dlevy" wrote in message news:XgBfh.13$Iz.11@bigfe9...
It's wrong there too. Interesting.

"xyzzy" wrote in message
ups.com...

Old December 13th 06, 12:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Gus Cabre

Why don't you click on http://www.garmin.com/support/ and phone them, or
just send an e-mail

Gus

Old December 13th 06, 12:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Gus Cabre

Further to my e-mail I have found a Garmin one that might be helpful
. 'Hope it helps.

Gus

Old December 13th 06, 04:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Travis Marlatte

I work for NAVTEQ - although I am not directly involved in the data
collection for our maps.

The location of addresses is derived in a couple of different ways and it
depends on the area as to how accurate it is. To save on space, the range of
addresses for a block is usually all that is present. The location of a
particular address, then, is merely an interpolation of where it is in the
range. This usually results in the location being off by a small error.

Less frequently, the addressing does not follow a logical pattern. The only
solution is to identify the location of each and every address - which is
only cost effective (both in data collection and in database size) in high
volume markets. i.e. it's a balance of customer satisfaction and the cost of
the database.

Other possibilities are that we purchased data from a government entity and
it is wrong. We do validate such data but it takes time. Validating is
plain, old hitting the streets and comparing our data against reality.

And, of course, it could just be a mistake.

On the NAVTEQ website, there is a feedback section where you can report
errors. Trust me, we review each and every report. NAVTEQ's website is
www.NAVTEQ.com and the direct link to the feedback section is
www.navteq.com/updates/mapfeedback.html.

-------------------------------
Travis
Lake N3094P
PWK
"xyzzy" wrote in message
ups.com...

Old December 13th 06, 03:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
xyzzy

Travis,

Just wanted to thank you for this information. Even if you're not
officially speaking for them, it reflects well on Navteq that you
responded here this way.

Travis Marlatte wrote:
[...]

"xyzzy" wrote in message
ups.com...

dlevy wrote:
I use mapsource with my 396. Occasionally an address is incorrect. That
got me wondering what is the process by which Garmin (or whoever) builds
the
database? Can I submit an error to get the database fixed?

Garmin buys the database from a third party (I think Navteq, they also
supply google maps -- see if the same error shows up on google maps)

Lyc. O-360 cylinder question JB Owning 13 November 27th 04 09:32 PM
Handheld battery question RobsSanta General Aviation 8 September 19th 04 03:07 PM
A question on Airworthiness Inspection Dave S Home Built 1 August 10th 04 05:07 AM
Question Charles S Home Built 4 April 5th 04 09:10 PM
Partnership Question Harry Gordon Owning 4 August 16th 03 11:23 PM