Not wanting to use control sticks

Old January 14th 07, 07:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Lou

Default Not wanting to use control sticks

Well, here I go again, thinking instead of doing.
My plane call for control sticks just like 99% of the homebuilts out
there. But I've been considering using a control yoke (maybe cessna 150
modified) instead. To get from the yoke controls
to the push/pull tubes in the wing I may have to use Bowden cables. I
may be wrong on the name, but basicly similar to bicycle brake cables.
Has anyone used these kind of cables successfuly?
Or has anyone incorporated a control yoke instead of control sticks?
Lou

Old January 14th 07, 08:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
BobR

Lou,

Check out the following link to my web site for some photos of an
outstanding yoke system for a homebuilt. If you are interested, I can
get you into contact with the builder.

http://www.kisbuild.r-a-reed-assoc.c...-Controls.html

It is an outstanding design that uses no cables and no chains, only
push rods.

Bob

Old January 14th 07, 09:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Lou

Well, for those who are curious, I've never flown with a stick and your
right, I probebly should before I make a choice here.
Bob, that is a fantanstic yoke, I'm suprised it isn't in a catalogue
somewhere.
Sure put me in contact with the owner.
Thanks
Lou

Old January 14th 07, 09:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Orval Fairbairn

In article .com,
"Lou" wrote:

Well, for those who are curious, I've never flown with a stick and your
right, I probebly should before I make a choice here.
Bob, that is a fantanstic yoke, I'm suprised it isn't in a catalogue
somewhere.
Sure put me in contact with the owner.
Thanks
Lou

Fly a stick first! It gives you much better feel and control than a yoke.
Old January 14th 07, 11:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
BobR

Lou,

Sent information via private email, let me know if you didn't receive.

Bob

Old January 15th 07, 12:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Dan[_2_]

Richard Riley wrote:
On 14 Jan 2007 11:22:18 -0800, "Lou" wrote:

Well, here I go again, thinking instead of doing.
My plane call for control sticks just like 99% of the homebuilts out
there. But I've been considering using a control yoke (maybe cessna 150
modified) instead. To get from the yoke controls
to the push/pull tubes in the wing I may have to use Bowden cables. I
may be wrong on the name, but basicly similar to bicycle brake cables.
Has anyone used these kind of cables successfuly?
Or has anyone incorporated a control yoke instead of control sticks?

Check Velocity. They use push-pull cables for their ailerons, and
went from side sticks to yolks in their "SUV" model.

Just egging him on?

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired
Old January 15th 07, 01:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Lou

Thanks Bob,
I got it.
Lou

Old January 15th 07, 01:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Ed Sullivan

On Sun, 14 Jan 2007 18:52:40 -0600, Dan wrote:

Richard Riley wrote:
On 14 Jan 2007 11:22:18 -0800, "Lou" wrote:

Well, here I go again, thinking instead of doing.
My plane call for control sticks just like 99% of the homebuilts out
there. But I've been considering using a control yoke (maybe cessna 150
modified) instead. To get from the yoke controls
to the push/pull tubes in the wing I may have to use Bowden cables. I
may be wrong on the name, but basicly similar to bicycle brake cables.
Has anyone used these kind of cables successfuly?
Or has anyone incorporated a control yoke instead of control sticks?

Check Velocity. They use push-pull cables for their ailerons, and
went from side sticks to yolks in their "SUV" model.

Just egging him on?

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

Should avoid those, too high in Cholesterol

Ed The Curmudge
Old January 15th 07, 04:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
abripl

I adapted cessna 150 yokes for my homebuilt. Check it out at
http://www.abri.com/sq2000

Reasons were was entry consideration and comfort.

Old January 15th 07, 07:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
J.Kahn

Richard Riley wrote:
On 14 Jan 2007 11:22:18 -0800, "Lou" wrote:

Well, here I go again, thinking instead of doing.
My plane call for control sticks just like 99% of the homebuilts out
there. But I've been considering using a control yoke (maybe cessna 150
modified) instead. To get from the yoke controls
to the push/pull tubes in the wing I may have to use Bowden cables. I
may be wrong on the name, but basicly similar to bicycle brake cables.
Has anyone used these kind of cables successfuly?
Or has anyone incorporated a control yoke instead of control sticks?

Check Velocity. They use push-pull cables for their ailerons, and
went from side sticks to yolks in their "SUV" model.

Also the Jabiru uses them for ailerons. They are generally called
Teleflex cables. Jets use very looooooooong ones for power controls.

In the Jabiru, they seem to make the controls feel somewhat stiffer than
cable/pulleys or push pull rods.

I would worry about undetected degradation and failure in a cable that
was completely enclosed, but on the other hand the fact that you can set
up your control arrangement with a separate cable for each side gives
some redundancy because one can break but you still have control of one
aileron.

John