A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

The Apology

Old October 24th 20, 05:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Hugh Grandstaff[_3_]
external usenet poster

Default The Apology

Let's all think about that for a bit.

Which part should we all be thinking about for a bit, Gregg?

The part where you suggested that professional women are "childless corporate whores?"
The part where you said the woman in the ad "would be more attractive if she kept her mouth shut?"
The part where another poster described the women who took the time to write to express their perspective on the ad as "femnazi's" and suggested defunding the WSPA?

I'm just curious, as there is A LOT to think about there.
Old October 24th 20, 06:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Gregg Ballou[_2_]
external usenet poster

Default The Apology

On Saturday, October 24, 2020 at 12:40:15 PM UTC-4, wrote:

The part where you suggested that professional women are "childless corporate whores?"
The part where you said the woman in the ad "would be more attractive if she kept her mouth shut?"
The part where another poster described the women who took the time to write to express their perspective on the ad as "femnazi's" and suggested defunding the WSPA?

The part where you insinuated that ones RAS social justice rating will affect one's score. You don't think that won't affect pilots desire to race when you are CD?
Old October 24th 20, 06:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Brooks
external usenet poster

Default The Apology

On Saturday, October 24, 2020 at 12:18:19 PM UTC-5, Gregg Ballou wrote:

The part where you insinuated that ones RAS social justice rating will affect one's score. You don't think that won't affect pilots desire to race when you are CD?

I'll look forward to flying at any contest I'm able to where Hugh Grandstaff is CD.
Odds are I won't see you there.

Mike Brooks
XL5
Old October 24th 20, 07:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Hugh Grandstaff[_3_]
external usenet poster

Default The Apology

On Saturday, October 24, 2020 at 12:18:19 PM UTC-5, Gregg Ballou wrote:

You mean people knowing they have a CD that isn't afraid to say its unacceptable to call professional women "childless corporate whores", say things like a woman would be "more attractive if she kept her mouth shut", or make comparisons of women to Nazis?

Yeah, that sounds terrible. I'm sure most people will hate that. Not calling women "whores" is a pretty radical position to take these days. I'm probably in the minority on that one.

You see, Gregg, you are not the victim here. Neither are the other men posting about how women should "get over it." Don't attempt to play one.

Old October 24th 20, 10:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default The Apology

Hugh, the term is Feminazi, it is a pejorative that refers to women as strong willed whom demand social equity and equality. Personally, I am a huge advocate of social equity between genders and race. What I do not support is the efforts of the feminazi movement to make every aspect of their perceived sexist displays as an opportunity to advance their agenda at the expense of others. In this case it was the SSA, SSF and the Editor. Do I believe that the apologies should have been issued, NO, what should have happened is that the targeted victims should have simply explained the actual meaning of the illustration. Yes, the SSA, SSF and the Editor were targeted, make no mistake about it.
Now about defunding the WSPA, I would do that tomorrow, it should be combined into the general soaring community and not hold separate classifications.. combine all contestants into a single group, "Glider Pilots". I know of several female pilots that would hold their own against men, like Linda said, "Bring It ON". Last time I looked the female glider pilots were flying white gliders and not pink.
As for me, I owe no apology, I have extended an invitation to Linda that I hope she accepts, but she will have to clean up her vulgarity.

Old October 24th 20, 10:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Hugh Grandstaff[_3_]
external usenet poster

Default The Apology

Hugh, the term is Feminazi, it is a pejorative that refers to women as strong willed whom demand social equity and equality. Personally, I am a huge advocate of social equity between genders and race. What I do not support is the efforts of the feminazi movement to make every aspect of their perceived sexist displays as an opportunity to advance their agenda at the expense of others. In this case it was the SSA, SSF and the Editor. Do I believe that the apologies should have been issued, NO, what should have happened is that the targeted victims should have simply explained the actual meaning of the illustration. Yes, the SSA, SSF and the Editor were targeted, make no mistake about it.
Now about defunding the WSPA, I would do that tomorrow, it should be combined into the general soaring community and not hold separate classifications. combine all contestants into a single group, "Glider Pilots". I know of several female pilots that would hold their own against men, like Linda said, "Bring It ON". Last time I looked the female glider pilots were flying white gliders and not pink.
As for me, I owe no apology, I have extended an invitation to Linda that I hope she accepts, but she will have to clean up her vulgarity.

Bob-

I'm sorry that women expressing their displeasure with an advertisement and then being taken seriously is such a threat to your way of life that you would continue to refer to them as "nazis".

Now, have you ever considered that the WSPA exists because of the fact that there are people in this world who find their way of life threatened over something as simple as women being taken seriously when they voice a complaint? So seriously in fact that they will invent incendiary terms relating them Nazi's and Fascists?

Probably not. Because you are used to being taken seriously when you complain about things.

-Hugh

Old October 24th 20, 11:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Waveguru
external usenet poster

Default The Apology

"When we believe or say we have been offended, we usually mean we feel insulted, mistreated, snubbed, or disrespected. And certainly clumsy, embarrassing, unprincipled, and mean-spirited things do occur in our interactions with other people that would allow us to take offense. However, it ultimately is impossible for another person to offend you or to offend me. Indeed, believing that another person offended us is fundamentally false. To be offended is a choice we make; it is not a condition inflicted or imposed upon us by someone or something else."

David A. Bednar

Boggs
Old October 24th 20, 11:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Gregg Ballou[_2_]
external usenet poster

Default The Apology

Bob with the women pilot outrage over an illustration of a normal woman asking a normal man a common soaring related question how many men are going to be willing to help out at future WSPA events? The chance of giving offense to that crowd is demonstrably astronomical. You don't need to defund the WSPA the ladies likely killed it off themselves.
Old October 24th 20, 11:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Hugh Grandstaff[_3_]
external usenet poster

Default The Apology

On Saturday, October 24, 2020 at 5:44:25 PM UTC-5, Waveguru wrote:
"When we believe or say we have been offended, we usually mean we feel insulted, mistreated, snubbed, or disrespected. And certainly clumsy, embarrassing, unprincipled, and mean-spirited things do occur in our interactions with other people that would allow us to take offense. However, it ultimately is impossible for another person to offend you or to offend me. Indeed, believing that another person offended us is fundamentally false. To be offended is a choice we make; it is not a condition inflicted or imposed upon us by someone or something else."

David A. Bednar

Boggs

Boggs-

So just to be clear, are you saying that it's a woman's fault for being offended when somebody calls them a Nazi, a childless corporate whore, says that they would be more attractive if they kept their mouth shut, or says that they wish that all women would bring them their slippers and beer?

Or are you saying that all of these guys getting offended that women are offended shouldn't be offended?

-Hugh
Old October 25th 20, 12:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Hugh Grandstaff[_3_]
external usenet poster

Default The Apology

On Saturday, October 24, 2020 at 5:54:58 PM UTC-5, Gregg Ballou wrote:
Bob with the women pilot outrage over an illustration of a normal woman asking a normal man a common soaring related question how many men are going to be willing to help out at future WSPA events? The chance of giving offense to that crowd is demonstrably astronomical. You don't need to defund the WSPA the ladies likely killed it off themselves.

Gregg-

Actually, the chances of giving offense to "that crowd" as you put it are not astronomical provided that you

1) don't refer to professional women as "childless corporate whores";
2) don't tell them they would be more attractive with their mouth's shut;
3) don't use terms relating them to nazi's or fascists, and finally;
4) treat them with the same dignity and respect you would any other person or pilot.

I recognize that this will be a massive shift in lifestyle for you and Bob, but I'm sure you are up to the task if you put your mind to it.

Oh, and you guys do realize that the WSPA is completely independent of the SSA? Right?

-Hugh