CBAV - anyone having problems displaying Nexrad?

Old July 15th 04, 05:52 PM
Teacherjh

Jav Henderson posted that the system is down and the problem is being worked.

I wish Jav Henderson would put that on the CBAV website. That's where I go to
look to see if there are problems with the service.

Jose

Old July 15th 04, 06:10 PM
Dave Butler

Teacherjh wrote:
Jav Henderson posted that the system is down and the problem is being worked.

I wish Jav Henderson would put that on the CBAV website. That's where I go to
look to see if there are problems with the service.

Not sure, but i don't think he has control over what's on the CBAV web site. Not
sure, but I think he volunteers his time to help out. IOW, if you'd like to help
out, your assistance would probably be welcomed, too. You could, for example,
volunteer to keep the status updated on the web site.

DGB

Old July 16th 04, 03:01 PM
Teacherjh

Not sure, but i don't think he has control over what's on the CBAV web site.

I assumed (I have a lot of donkeys by now!) he was the honcho in charge of
CBAV.

Jose

Old July 18th 04, 10:21 PM
Ryan Ferguson

"Maule Driver" wrote in message r.com...

Anyone have this problem recently? Is there a problem?

Yes, the service has become more spotty recently. I have made the
switch to TurboWX. I wrote about this software and the Palm.net
service in a recent issue of Aviation Safety. I have no affiliation
with the company but the product is awesome, and by the way the NEXRAD
updates are typically 5-8 minutes old instead of CBAV's 25-30. You
can try a free trial at http://www.turbowx.com.

-Ryan
Old July 19th 04, 03:03 PM
Maule Driver

OK Ryan.

In my experience, the service has not been 'more spotty recently'. The
Nexrad images simply stopped displaying. Otherwise the service has been
working as before.

Love to read all or some part of your review but I don't intend to subscribe
to AS. Do you care to share?

I'm sure TurboWX may be 'awesome' but it lacks the key feature that CBAV
delivers, i.e. inflight NEXRAD. There are occassions when a
just-before-T.O. NEXRAD image is very valuable. But the ability to look at
the weather inflight, at altitude, then compare it with a NEXRAD image while
in flight is (standby.... searching for superlative beyond 'awesome'......)
'paridigm shifting'. Even with the 15 - 30 min delay that I typically
experience.

Anyway, I'll probably check out the demo just to exercise my Treo a bit.

"Long Live CBAV"... at least until I can afford the high priced spread.

Bill Watson

om...

Old July 19th 04, 11:08 PM
Kyler Laird

"OtisWinslow" writes:

This has been covered in several threads in the past. You might try a
Google for background.

My question was not one of ARE there legal issues . .it's not allowable
by FCC rules ..

Do you want to clarify that or are you just trying to spread FUD?

--kyler
Old July 20th 04, 03:25 AM
Ryan Ferguson

In my experience, the service has not been 'more spotty recently'. The
Nexrad images simply stopped displaying. Otherwise the service has been
working as before.

I just tried it and got same. To be honest I haven't used CBAV for
more than a year now, since switching to TurboWX.

I'm sure TurboWX may be 'awesome' but it lacks the key feature that

CBAV
delivers, i.e. inflight NEXRAD.

Hmm? It delivers better quality, younger NEXRAD images than CBAV.
In-flight, if you're using Palm.net.

There are occassions when a
just-before-T.O. NEXRAD image is very valuable. But the ability to look at
the weather inflight, at altitude, then compare it with a NEXRAD image while
in flight is (standby.... searching for superlative beyond 'awesome'......)
'paridigm shifting'. Even with the 15 - 30 min delay that I typically
experience.

Well, say goodbye to the 30 minute delay and get ready for less than
10 with TurboWX.

-Ryan
Old July 21st 04, 12:35 AM
Maule Driver

"Ryan Ferguson"
I'm sure TurboWX may be 'awesome' but it lacks the key feature that

CBAV
delivers, i.e. inflight NEXRAD.

Hmm? It delivers better quality, younger NEXRAD images than CBAV.
In-flight, if you're using Palm.net.

So you are saying my Palm VII using Palmnet can get the TurboWX service? I
swear I read the site and did not see that it did. Will recheck.

Thanks.

Got to say that the 15 to 30 to 45 min delay on CBAV has been less of an
issue (as in 'no issue') than I ever thought it would be. I don't know if
its true but it seems that the image tends towards 15 minutes old when there
is activity. And goes over 30mins when it is calm.

Better resolution would be very welcome though.

Old July 21st 04, 02:22 AM
John Clonts

"Maule Driver" wrote in message
.com...

"Ryan Ferguson"
I'm sure TurboWX may be 'awesome' but it lacks the key feature that

CBAV
delivers, i.e. inflight NEXRAD.

Hmm? It delivers better quality, younger NEXRAD images than CBAV.
In-flight, if you're using Palm.net.

So you are saying my Palm VII using Palmnet can get the TurboWX service?

swear I read the site and did not see that it did. Will recheck.

That's correct. When I was subscribing last year, I was using it getting
the Nexrad with my Palm VII. There was one issue with the rendering that I
corresponded with TurboWX about, and they were quite responsive. I ended up
cancelling eventually, because CBAV was sufficient and I believe has a
slightly better rendering in B&W. But I may reconsider if CBAV stays down
much longer.

Cheers,
John Clonts
Temple, Texas
N7NZ

Old July 21st 04, 04:58 AM
Ryan Ferguson

Maule Driver wrote:

So you are saying my Palm VII using Palmnet can get the TurboWX service? I
swear I read the site and did not see that it did. Will recheck.

Yes.

Got to say that the 15 to 30 to 45 min delay on CBAV has been less of an
issue (as in 'no issue') than I ever thought it would be. I don't know if
its true but it seems that the image tends towards 15 minutes old when there
is activity. And goes over 30mins when it is calm.

It generally wasn't an issue for me either, but there have been times
when TurboWx's much younger weather updates allowed me to find a hole.

Better resolution would be very welcome though.

TurboWX has better resolution and you don't have to cycle through Mode
1-6 like you would with CBAV.

-Ryan