Go-around - my first sighting

Old December 26th 05, 08:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Go-around - my first sighting

I was admiring an Emirates A330 on finals earlier today. It appeared to
be on the proper glide path (guaging from the earlier string of
aircraft). A mile out or so, for some reason, TOGA! and the aircraft
went into quite a nose-up attitude and climbed away, aborting the
landing.

This go-around happened on a clear wintry morning with little or no
wind. Hope the Cap'n doesn't lose his job, unless there was some other
reason like runway incursion )

Have you guys ever missed an approach and had to hit TOGA? And does a
go-around make its way as a pilot's log book entry?

Ramapriya

Old December 26th 05, 09:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

I'm no airline pilot, but I'd guess that that thing has a FADEC system
that records EVERYTHING that happens for maintenance sake.

Old December 26th 05, 02:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Ramapriya wrote:
Have you guys ever missed an approach and had to hit TOGA? And does a
go-around make its way as a pilot's log book entry?

I've missed approaches a number of times over the years and had to go around.
The usual cause is a nonprecision approach coupled with weather that didn't
allow me to break out. Once or twice it may have been because a runway hadn't
cleared yet.

I never bothered writing any of them in the logbook. I just consider that a
part of flying.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Old December 26th 05, 03:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Hope the Cap'n doesn't lose his job,

He's not going to lose his job over a go-around.

Old December 26th 05, 04:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

It may have been a test flight, checking avionics,
auto-pilot, etc. The crew may also have been in training.
Maybe they just needed a few more minutes to complete some
flight time experience requirement and a go-around was
better than and would use less time than another flight
cycle.

It may have been because of something you didn't see, like
another airplane or vehicle on the runway and ATC may have
issued the go-around.

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

oups.com...

Old December 26th 05, 05:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Scott Draper wrote:
Hope the Cap'n doesn't lose his job,

He's not going to lose his job over a go-around.

But it might strain things. I've heard that on go-around can eat up the
profit from a flight.
Old December 26th 05, 06:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

His landing and/or approach clearance might have been canceled for
numerous reasons, say, another aircraft can't get off the runway, or
another aircraft reporting foreign object on the runway and the tower
is sending a vehicle to pick it up, etc, etc.

Things like this are not very common, but not rare either. No captain
will lose his job because of a go around.

Old December 26th 05, 07:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Several of reason to go-around:

=Ordered to by ATC

=Unsafe landing configuration

=Airport landing conditions out of limits

$$$ NEVER is consideration in the Go-ARound equation. Any Captain that
uses the $$ as criteria for a Go-Around should not be flying/

Old December 26th 05, 08:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Jim Macklin wrote:
It may have been a test flight, checking avionics,
auto-pilot, etc. The crew may also have been in training.
Maybe they just needed a few more minutes to complete some
flight time experience requirement and a go-around was
better than and would use less time than another flight
cycle.

I've heard of 737's 'in the pattern' at Castle AFB.
On that runway, they can probably do a couple of Touch
and goes on each pass.

gerald
Old December 27th 05, 12:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Ramapriya" wrote in message
Have you guys ever missed an approach and had to hit TOGA? And does a
go-around make its way as a pilot's log book entry?

Go-arounds, otherwise called balked landings, are standard training
curriculum. Once or twice a year we may have to perform one. We fill out a
captain's report for the chief pilot, but that's so the safety department
can identify trends. The pilots are not disciplined. The last one I peformed
was at DCA with it's funky restrictions because a departing CRJ aborted
their take-off for engine malfunctions.

In the Airbus, if the pilots leave the power levers in cruise and do a 360
degree turn, the flight data recorder won't show it as a go-around. Less
paperwork that way.

D.