BFR

Old July 19th 04, 02:04 AM
fly low

Default BFR

If you are Instrument Current and due for a BFR, are you required to or
should you also be tested on Instrument Approaches, Holds, etc?

Old July 19th 04, 03:26 AM
C J Campbell

"fly low" wrote in message
If you are Instrument Current and due for a BFR, are you required to or
should you also be tested on Instrument Approaches, Holds, etc?

A flight review consists of a minimum of an hour of ground and an hour of
flight instruction by FAR.

An instructor may conduct the flight review in any way he pleases as long as
it meets these parameters. I have known instructors who would not do a
flight review in less than 16 hours. It is whatever the instructor feels
comfortable in signing you off for.

Old July 19th 04, 03:28 AM
fly low

The BFR does not have to include any Instrument Currency component as long
as the Pilot is current, correct?

" ...

Old July 19th 04, 03:29 AM
John T

"fly low" wrote in message

The BFR does not have to include any Instrument Currency component as
long as the Pilot is current, correct?

Correct.

Now the question for you is: Why would you ask? Are you afraid of shooting
an approach or two with an instructor aboard offering constructive
criticism? I very much expected my most recent BFR to include approaches.

--
John T
http://tknowlogy.com/TknoFlyer

Old July 19th 04, 03:57 AM
Andrew Sarangan

"fly low" wrote in
:

The BFR does not have to include any Instrument Currency component as
long as the Pilot is current, correct?

Whether you are instrument current or not has no bearing. What I care
about is whether you plan on flying IFR. If the answer is yes, then I
would insist on some instrument work during a flight review.

I have had a case where an instrument rated pilot had not flown IFR in
many years and said that he had no intention of ever becoming current.
In that case, I elected to not do any instrument work for the flight
review.

BTW, the phrase BFR is no longer used. It is Flight Review (FR).

" ...

Old July 19th 04, 04:06 AM
Mick Ruthven

I very much expected my most recent BFR to include approaches.

I don't. I use a BFR to do VFR flying that I don't nomally do, like
emergency work, spot landings, etc. I stay current in instrument flying
other ways. Just my 2c.

Old July 19th 04, 04:07 AM
fly low

Not hardly! I ask because I did not find it in the FAR's. I thought I was
asking the questions!

Old July 19th 04, 04:09 AM
fly low

Thanks.

I personally feel that any FR of an Instrument rated Pilot should include
ground and flight IFR review.

"Andrew Sarangan" wrote in message
. 158...
"fly low" wrote in
:

Old July 19th 04, 05:03 AM
Dave S

Andrew Sarangan wrote:

"fly low" wrote in
:

[...]

My last flight review consisted heavily of instrument work - and I'm not
even instrument rated yet.. (got sidetracked... will finish it VERY soon)..

The best I can tell there is no requirement for any specific curriculum
in a flight review, other than the "time requirements"

Old July 19th 04, 05:48 AM
Roger Halstead

On 19 Jul 2004 02:57:03 GMT, Andrew Sarangan
wrote:

"fly low" wrote in
:

The BFR does not have to include any Instrument Currency component as
long as the Pilot is current, correct?

Whether you are instrument current or not has no bearing. What I care
about is whether you plan on flying IFR. If the answer is yes, then I
would insist on some instrument work during a flight review.

I have had a case where an instrument rated pilot had not flown IFR in
many years and said that he had no intention of ever becoming current.
In that case, I elected to not do any instrument work for the flight
review.

BTW, the phrase BFR is no longer used. It is Flight Review (FR).

Just as "Oshkosh" will always remain "Oshkosh" and not "AirVenture" to
most of us, so to will the BFR remain a BFR, regardless of what the
FAA calls it.

It is after a flight review done on a biennial basis and technically
is a "biennial", flight review.

And as to the issue of instrument work, I'm not currently... current,
but I fully expect to see instrument work on the next BFR.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

" ...