Canadian Charts

Old July 19th 04, 07:47 PM
Ron Rosenfeld

Default Canadian Charts

Is there an online source for Canadian IAP charts like there is for the
NACO one's? (i.e. -- free or nearly so)

Thanks.

Old July 19th 04, 07:57 PM
Defly

Is there an online source for Canadian IAP charts like there is for the
NACO one's? (i.e. -- free or nearly so)

Not that I'm aware of. I've had some success with asking people on this board
to email or fax me approach plates. For enroute and sectionals I've never gone
beyond the overlap from US charts, and never had any problems.
Old July 19th 04, 08:08 PM
Icebound

"Ron Rosenfeld" wrote in message
Is there an online source for Canadian IAP charts like there is for the
NACO one's? (i.e. -- free or nearly so)

Thanks.

Not really. Navcan has the exclusive market for Canada Air Pilot approach
plates.

However, a limited number are available here (perhaps by accident):

https://164.214.2.62/products/digita...onname=CANADA/

a. There appear to be some "security certificate" issues with the site,
b. I don't know how current the data is....
c. They do not have ALL the airports with instrument approaches in Canada
d. For any individual airport, they do not necessarily have all the
available approaches

Old July 19th 04, 08:41 PM
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, "Icebound" said:
However, a limited number are available here (perhaps by accident):

https://164.214.2.62/products/digita...onname=CANADA/

a. There appear to be some "security certificate" issues with the site,
b. I don't know how current the data is....
c. They do not have ALL the airports with instrument approaches in Canada
d. For any individual airport, they do not necessarily have all the
available approaches

e. These are not Canadian approach plates, but US Air Force approach
plates for airports in Canada. The format is a little different, and I
doubt these would be legal under the CARs.

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
"An NT server can be run by an idiot, and usually is." -- Tom Holub, a.h.b-o-i
Old July 19th 04, 09:02 PM
Derrick Early

Hi Ron,

I just received an order of approach plates, sectionals, facilities
directory, low alt enroute charts from http://www.vippilot.com/ They had
the cheapest prices and shipping. Sporty's wants to charge on par in USA
dollars for list price Canadian. In other words, they mark up the price by
30%.

Cheers,
Derrick

Old July 19th 04, 10:20 PM
Ron Rosenfeld

On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 14:47:19 -0400, Ron Rosenfeld
wrote:

Is there an online source for Canadian IAP charts like there is for the
NACO one's? (i.e. -- free or nearly so)

Thanks.

Thank you all for that information.

I am considering dropping my eastern Canada JeppView subscription and will
check out your various suggestions.

Old July 19th 04, 10:24 PM
Ron Rosenfeld

On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 19:41:04 +0000 (UTC), (Paul
Tomblin) wrote:

These are not Canadian approach plates, but US Air Force approach
plates for airports in Canada. The format is a little different, and I
doubt these would be legal under the CARs.

Do the CAR's require that you have a particular brand of chart for
non-commercial aviation activities?

Old July 19th 04, 10:57 PM
Andrew Sarangan

I too checked around and found http://www.vippilot.com/ to be the
cheapest. I plan to buy the next cycle of charts from them at the end of
the month.

Depending on where you are flying, you might be able to get away with US
charts. Most of Ontario and the eastern provinces (below the 49th
parallel) is included in the US charts. A lot of Canadians use
www.aeroplan.com, which is a US service. It is a real shame that
Canadians have to use a US service to get information about their own
country (I'm Canadian, so I can criticize my own country). I wish Nav
Canada would release its tight grip on the copyrights.

"Derrick Early" wrote in
:

Old July 20th 04, 04:07 AM
Ron Rosenfeld

On 19 Jul 2004 21:57:38 GMT, Andrew Sarangan
wrote:

Depending on where you are flying, you might be able to get away with US
charts.

I could use the US charts for enroute. My problem is the IAP charts.

Old July 20th 04, 05:54 PM
Icebound

"Ron Rosenfeld" wrote

My problem is the IAP charts.

Single-copy (non-subscription) sets for any one of the 6 areas, sell for
only 20 bucks Canadian.
http://makeashorterlink.com/?D2E3659D8