If you see this in your windscreen...

Old May 31st 05, 04:16 PM
Jay Masino

Default If you see this in your windscreen...

If you see this in your windscreen...
http://www2.ari.net/jmasino/private/UM_and_WashDC.JPG
you might be in trouble.

I got to spend both Sunday and Monday at my old hangout... College Park
Airport, and went flying with some of my buddies that are still based
there (and have been finger printed and anal probed). In this picture
we're about 8 miles from the White House. You can see the Washington
Monument in the upper right corner and the Potomac river in the upper
left. That's the University of Maryland in the foreground. I use to take
for granted seeing this sight every single weekend for years.

--- Jay

--
__!__
Jay and Teresa Masino ___(_)___
Old May 31st 05, 07:22 PM
john smith

Jay Masino wrote:
If you see this in your windscreen...
http://www2.ari.net/jmasino/private/UM_and_WashDC.JPG
you might be in trouble.

I got to spend both Sunday and Monday at my old hangout... College Park
Airport, and went flying with some of my buddies that are still based
there (and have been finger printed and anal probed). In this picture
we're about 8 miles from the White House. You can see the Washington
Monument in the upper right corner and the Potomac river in the upper
left. That's the University of Maryland in the foreground. I use to take
for granted seeing this sight every single weekend for years.

Looking at your photo, I know it I was flying there, I wouldn't have any
idea where I was without a map or the GPS.
Old June 1st 05, 01:19 AM
Michelle P

Jay,
I fly traffic survey. We get to see that twice a day five or more days
as week. I have some awesome shots, ummmm pictures around the beltway. I
feel privileged that I am able to see these again.
Michelle

Old June 1st 05, 03:18 AM
Jim Fisher

"john smith" wrote in message

Looking at your photo, I know (if) I was flying there, I wouldn't have any
idea where I was without a map or the GPS.

Okay, I haven't flown in a while and have never flown anywhere close to DC
but I can clearly see the Washington monument and a river beyond it.

I would not need a map or GPS to alert me to the fact that this point in
space is a Very Bad place to be.

Old June 1st 05, 12:20 PM
Jay Masino

Jim Fisher wrote:
"john smith" wrote in message
Looking at your photo, I know (if) I was flying there, I wouldn't have any
idea where I was without a map or the GPS.

Okay, I haven't flown in a while and have never flown anywhere close to DC
but I can clearly see the Washington monument and a river beyond it.
I would not need a map or GPS to alert me to the fact that this point in
space is a Very Bad place to be.

FYI... this was actually an exceptionally clear day around DC. Most of
the time the haze obscures things enough that you don't even notice the
monument (or any other important building)... even at distances as close
as 8 miles. The Capitol dome is usually difficult to spot and the White
House can't be seen unless you're practically on top of it.

--- Jay

--
__!__
Old June 1st 05, 01:45 PM
Ron Natalie

Jay Masino wrote:

FYI... this was actually an exceptionally clear day around DC. Most of
the time the haze obscures things enough that you don't even notice the
monument (or any other important building)... even at distances as close
as 8 miles. The Capitol dome is usually difficult to spot and the White
House can't be seen unless you're practically on top of it.

Taking off from Potomac, you can clearly see all of downtown before
you even get to pattern altitude. It's one of the great flying
views (second only to the pre-911 routing that approach would let
you have from the WAS VOR directly east south of the Prohibited area.

Old June 1st 05, 02:36 PM
Jay Masino

Ron Natalie wrote:
Taking off from Potomac, you can clearly see all of downtown before
you even get to pattern altitude. It's one of the great flying
views (second only to the pre-911 routing that approach would let
you have from the WAS VOR directly east south of the Prohibited area.

Hmmm... that might be true from Potomac's vantage point.

It was neat when you use to be able to ask Washington approach for a
flight down the Anacostia river, directly over National. I wish I had my
digital camera with me back in those days. Heck, I even miss the hours I
spent doing repeated ILSs into Andrews with AF-1 sitting on the ramp.

As far as great flying views... I'm kinda partial to taking off over
Assateague island and seeing the ponies grazing.

--
__!__