Air extractors for Ventus 2?

Old August 22nd 11, 03:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Taylor

Default Air extractors for Ventus 2?

Are there any working designs for an air extractor for the Ventus 2?
Old August 25th 11, 02:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Aug 21, 9:35*pm, Tim Taylor wrote:
Are there any working designs for an air extractor for the Ventus 2?

What is an air extractor?

Bill Snead
Old August 25th 11, 04:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jim wynhoff

On Aug 21, 7:35*pm, Tim Taylor wrote:
Are there any working designs for an air extractor for the Ventus 2?

Tim,
Sisu1A on RAS makes extractors for the ASW20 (some models), and has
made one (or more) for his SZD. In both of those cases, the extractor
replaces an access panel or hatch that happens to be in a position
that is 'good enough'. I made a simple 'Mandl Extracor' for my Speed
Astir http://griderpirate.smugmug.com/Airp...55235760_LUSmZ
and it does increase cockpit comfort significantly.
Does the Ventus have a conveniently placed access hatch, or will there
be cutting involved?
Cheers,
Jim
Old August 25th 11, 04:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jim wynhoff

On Aug 24, 6:53*pm, " wrote:
On Aug 21, 9:35*pm, Tim Taylor wrote:

Are there any working designs for an air extractor for the Ventus 2?

What is an air extractor?

Bill Snead

It's an air exit for the cabin air. Some of the new gliders are being
offered with them. The DG website had quite a writeup on them a
couple years ago. In theory, without the extractor, the cockpit is
at positive pressure with the intake vents open and the air finds ways
to escape that are not helpful drag-wise. By using an extractor, cabin
pressure is dropped, and airflow is not disturbed by the air trying to
escape through aileron hinges, spoiler boxes, or whatever.
I have a simple 'Mandl Extractor' I made for my glider, and I have NO
idea what it does for performance, except that it encourages airlfow
in the cockpit, and keeps me from roasting to death on those high
temp, strong inversion layer Jean summer days.
Old August 25th 11, 04:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jim wynhoff

On Aug 24, 6:53*pm, " wrote:
On Aug 21, 9:35*pm, Tim Taylor wrote:

Are there any working designs for an air extractor for the Ventus 2?

What is an air extractor?

Bill Snead

A picture of a simple 'Mandl Extractor' similar to what DG employs.

http://griderpirate.smugmug.com/Airp...55235760_LUSmZ
Old August 25th 11, 04:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Taylor

Astirhttp://griderpirate.smugmug.com/Airplanes/Glider-stuff/3702283_Rsct24...
and it does increase cockpit comfort significantly.
Does the Ventus have a conveniently placed access hatch, or will there
be cutting involved?
Cheers,
Jim

Jim,

There will be cutting involved and most Schempp-Hirth's are Standard
Airworthiness. I am looking at something similar to the Jonker's
design for my Ventus 2 to improve the airflow and cooling in the
cockpit.

Tim

Old August 25th 11, 05:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jim wynhoff

On Aug 24, 8:31*pm, Tim Taylor wrote:
[...]

Good luck in your search Tim!
Old August 25th 11, 05:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
guy

I have an LS-8. I had a Mandle Air Extractor installed on my aircraft
after reading all the comments on the DG website. DG bought the
rights to produce the LS-8. Of course, to purchase the installation
kit I had to join the maintenance program and still pay significant
money for the parts. Then having it installed cost more. The Mandle
is installed on the bottom of the fuselage just behind the wheelwell.
The device made virtually no difference in my cockpit ventilation or
noise. BIG Disappointment.

Then, I bought the Butler vent and had it installed. It is installed
on the top of fuselage just behind the canopy. WOW. I can feel air
moving past my ears while flying. The canopy vent does not pop open
at high speeds. There is virtually no noise. This is essentially the
same type of vent that Sisu1A is using. It was worth the effort and
money. I can't tell you if it improved my L/D by 5points or more, but
the movement of air through the cockpit is greatly improved.

Guy "DDS"
Old August 25th 11, 03:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall

On Aug 24, 9:21*pm, guy wrote:

...Then, I bought the Butler vent and had it installed. *It is installed
on the top of fuselage just behind the canopy. *WOW. *I can feel air
moving past my ears while flying...

Huh. So, exhausting air into the low pressure area above the wings
works better than trying to exhaust it into the high pressure area
below the wings. Who'd'a thunk it?

Thanks, Bob K.
Old August 25th 11, 03:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Grider Pirate[_2_]

On Aug 25, 7:47*am, Bob Kuykendall wrote:
On Aug 24, 9:21*pm, guy wrote:

...Then, I bought the Butler vent and had it installed. *It is installed
on the top of fuselage just behind the canopy. *WOW. *I can feel air
moving past my ears while flying...

Huh. So, exhausting air into the low pressure area above the wings
works better than trying to exhaust it into the high pressure area
below the wings. Who'd'a thunk it?

Thanks, Bob K.

Ahh, the mysteries of life..... ;-P

FS Ventus 2cx 15/18 SAM AND LEIGH ZIMMERMAN Soaring 0 April 29th 08 02:10 PM
FS: Ventus C James Hamilton Soaring 0 September 13th 06 09:18 PM
FS: Ventus C 17.6 John Shelton Soaring 0 November 16th 04 12:55 AM
FS: Ventus C 17.6 John Shelton Soaring 2 November 16th 04 12:53 AM
FS Ventus C 17.6 John Shelton Soaring 0 August 18th 04 03:39 PM