Practice stalls on your own?

Old May 24th 05, 06:51 PM

Default Practice stalls on your own?

Ok, so say you are post-solo and approved to perform stalls OR you are
a private pilot.

Is it smart to go out and practice stalls on a normal basis? For
proficiency and for fun?

Or are stalls something you should only being doing for training?

I would like to hear from both pilots and instructors on your thinking
of this topic.

Also what percentage of you out there do practice them on your own?

Thanks

Old May 24th 05, 07:04 PM
jsmith

From a pilot: Why would you not practice stalls unless you are afraid
of them?
(If you are afraid of them, all the more reason to practice them.)
If you don't practice them and are afraid of them, how will you react
when you get into one "unexpectedly"?
If you practice them, you will understand how you can get into them and
respond appropriately in a timely manner.

Old May 24th 05, 07:30 PM
Guillermo

wrote in message
oups.com...
Ok, so say you are post-solo and approved to perform stalls OR you are
a private pilot.

Is it smart to go out and practice stalls on a normal basis? For
proficiency and for fun?

Or are stalls something you should only being doing for training?

I would like to hear from both pilots and instructors on your thinking
of this topic.

Also what percentage of you out there do practice them on your own?

Also from a pilot:
I don't see a problem practicing stalls at teh appropriate altitude, I used
to do that all the time after getting my license, showing them just for fun
to my friends.
Just watch out for your passengers, some of them may have problems with the
stalls. keep a barf bag handy just in case (own experience).
But also make sure that the weight loading of the airplane is not
unfavorable, and that intentional stalls are approved in the airplane you
are flying.

Old May 24th 05, 07:42 PM
Peter Duniho

wrote in message
oups.com...
Ok, so say you are post-solo and approved to perform stalls OR you are
a private pilot.

What about commercial or ATP pilots? How about recreational or sport
pilots?

Is it smart to go out and practice stalls on a normal basis? For
proficiency and for fun?

If you have some requirement to demonstrate stalls coming up, then I can see
a proficiency motivation. Other than that, I don't; generally, a stall is
something to avoid. I think it's more important to be proficient in
avoiding stalls, rather than in performing them. (I am, of course, assuming
normal every-day flying...for some kinds of flying, stalls are a critical
skill and should be second-nature).

If you want to do it for fun, I don't see anything wrong with that, though
of course you should only be practicing stalls solo when you have been
sufficiently trained in stalls in the aircraft you're flying. That should
be part of any new aircraft checkout anyway, so that requirement usually
would be met.

Or are stalls something you should only being doing for training?

IMHO, if done safely there's nothing wrong with doing stalls for whatever
reason you like. Of course, in some airplanes stalls are inherently unsafe.
But that's not a common situation.

As far as proficiency goes, I think that slow flight is a MUCH more useful
thing to practice. It's good to know how to stall an airplane, and to know
how a given airplane will react in a stall. But being able to control the
airplane, even when the airspeed is just above stall speed, and avoid
getting into a stall in the first place, is a much more useful skill to
have.

All that said, if you are already well-practiced in avoiding stalls and have
some practice bandwidth left over, certainly there's no harm in getting good
at recovering from stalls as well.

Pete

Old May 24th 05, 08:07 PM
Guillermo

Jay Beckman" wrote in message
I would never, never perform an intentional stall with a non-pilot

passenger
on board.

At the very least, you're scaring someone needlessly (and probably killing
off any chance that they would want to get into flying...), at the very
worst, you're inviting a struggle for the controls.

Not too bright a thing to do, IMO.

I think it depends a lot in the passengers you have, and in how "much" you
stall the airplane. Some people are excited and thrilled by such a maneuver.
If I do a stall with a non-pilot I'd explain the maneuver in detail
beforehand and make sure that they perfectly understand what is going to
happen, and make sure that they are OK with it. It is something that they
are going to do often in their training anyways if they decide to be pilots.
By no means it is meant to scare anybody.
I have had passengers that after the explanation say that they don't want to
do it, so I won't do it, and other ones that says "YEA!! thats sounds fun,
lets do it!!!!", so then I'll go for it.
I wouldn't even think about doing it if the passenger doesn't want to.

guillermo

"Guillermo" wrote in message
"Jay Beckman" wrote in message
Also from a pilot:

Old May 24th 05, 08:16 PM
Gary Drescher

"Guillermo" wrote in message
Jay Beckman" wrote in message
I would never, never perform an intentional stall with a non-pilot

passenger on board.

At the very least, you're scaring someone needlessly (and probably
killing
off any chance that they would want to get into flying...), at the very
worst, you're inviting a struggle for the controls.

I think it depends a lot in the passengers you have

I agree. I've had an adventuresome non-pilot friend come along for a
checkout ride at a new FBO. I made sure he understood that stalls, steep
turns, etc. would be demonstrated.

--Gary

Old May 24th 05, 08:51 PM

Peter, all ratings appy. I just didn't feel the need to list every
single one.

All good comments everybody.

Any instructors out there want to chime in?

As for passengers, I agree with most of you, let them know what to
expect and give them the option. I would never do a stall unknowingly
to a passenger or a passenger who doesn't want to see one.