New Prohibited Area

Old May 28th 05, 01:18 AM
David Dyer-Bennet

"gatt" writes:

"John Galban" wrote in message

Restricted airspace for no logical purpose

Nuclear submarines, nuclear warheads.

Yes, but during the actual Cold War, was there restricted airspace
there? Do you feel there should have been?

How do you feel that restricted airspace there will protect the
submarines and warheads? What things will be made more dificult that
matter?
Old May 28th 05, 01:21 AM
bill hunter

I am sure glad that those Cessna 150s won't be harming those hardened sub
pens that were designed to survive an indirect hit from a ruski nuclear
warhead. If a terrorist crashes in to the pen, I am sure the FAA will be
right there to quickly take away his pilots license, and then He won't be
able to crash into sub pens ever again, without first flying without a
license.

This restriction is the price we pay for added security, or at least the
appearance of added security. It is just like the added sense of security we
get when we restrict small airplanes from flying around nuclear plants. I
for one stay up late at night worrying about aluminum framed aircraft
carrying tens of gallons of gasoline crashing through the ten foot thick
reinforced concrete walls of a nuclear reactor. I know the engineers
designed them to withstand a direct hit from a 747, but I don't know if the
engineers considered the insidious effects of a skyhawk or Cherokee
screaming in at 120 knots.

I am have no problem letting the government search my medical records and
library records. I am sure that there are certain medical conditions that
only afflict terrorists. Maybe the government knows that all the people with
gout are really Islamic terrorists. Maybe the terrorists do all their
research for their terrorist plots by reading the books in the non-fiction
section of your local library.

These are the sacrifices we all will have to make to live in the post 9/11
world. We are all going to have to learn to give up some our personal
freedoms and liberties for the impression of a safer world.

"turbo" wrote in message
Northwest flyers might want to look at this AOPA article that announces
the establishment of new Prohibited area over the Bangor sub base in
Washington state. Currently it's a TFR...

http://www.aopa.org/whatsnew/newsite.../050525wa.html

What do you all think of this?

I don't find it unreasonable at all to restrict airspace around a
submarine
base, especially if it only extends to 2500 MSL. We should all try not to
make the current situation any worse by keeping our head screwed on
straight
and staying out of the restricted areas.

Old May 28th 05, 01:53 AM
Matt Whiting

gatt wrote:
"John Galban" wrote in message

Restricted airspace for no logical purpose

Nuclear submarines, nuclear warheads.

If our nuke subs can't withstand an attack by a C150, then I don't have
much confidence in their ability to protect our country! :-)

Matt
Old May 28th 05, 02:05 AM
John Galban

gatt wrote:
"John Galban" wrote in message

Restricted airspace for no logical purpose

Nuclear submarines, nuclear warheads.

And how exactly does having a small circle of airspace that only goes
to 2,500 MSL protect these nuclear submarines and warheads?

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)

Old May 28th 05, 03:49 AM
Larry Dighera

On Sat, 28 May 2005 00:21:32 GMT, "bill hunter"
wrote in ::

These are the sacrifices we all will have to make to live in the post 9/11
world. We are all going to have to learn to give up some our personal
freedoms and liberties for the impression of a safer world.

The situation is becoming a bit Orwellian. George got it right; he
was just 20 years premature.
Old May 28th 05, 04:16 AM
Skywise

"bill hunter" wrote in
:

Snipola of excellent piece of sarcasm

As Benjamin Franklin said...

"He that would give up essential liberty for a little
security deserve neither liberty nor security."

(Or something close to that.)

Brian

Home of the Seismic FAQ
http://www.skywise711.com/SeismicFAQ/SeismicFAQ.html

Sed quis custodiet ipsos Custodes?
Old May 28th 05, 05:26 AM
Matt Barrow

"Skywise" wrote in message
"bill hunter" wrote in
:

Snipola of excellent piece of sarcasm

As Benjamin Franklin said...

"He that would give up essential liberty for a little
security deserve neither liberty nor security."

(Or something close to that.)

He also said, in the same paragraph, "The only way to preserve liberty is to
never be secure.", (meaning: complacent. just as the US was pre 9/11.)

--
Matt
---------------------

Old May 28th 05, 05:34 AM
Skywise

"Matt Barrow" wrote in
:

"Skywise" wrote in message
"bill hunter" wrote in
:

Snipola of excellent piece of sarcasm

As Benjamin Franklin said...

"He that would give up essential liberty for a little
security deserve neither liberty nor security."

(Or something close to that.)

He also said, in the same paragraph, "The only way to preserve liberty
is to never be secure.", (meaning: complacent. just as the US was pre
9/11.)

Thank you for that. I need to brush up on my Franklin quotes.

Old May 28th 05, 05:38 AM
george

Matt Whiting wrote:
Anto=F1io wrote:

Northwest flyers might want to look at this AOPA article that announces
the establishment of new Prohibited area over the Bangor sub base in
Washington state. Currently it's a TFR...

http://www.aopa.org/whatsnew/newsite.../050525wa.html

What do you all think of this?

Antonio

It makes me a much bigger supporter of the committee's recommendation to
close a lot more military bases. If they don't exist, they can't have a
prohibited area. What a stupid decision...

Give them a chance. They can come up with even more stupidity given
time.
Wait ubtil they shut down all US airspace to GA
Matt

Old May 28th 05, 07:55 AM
RST Engineering

You idiots that don't top post or quote hundreds of lines of text understand
that you are simply wasting bandwidth, don't you?

Jim

"george" wrote in message
oups.com...

Matt Whiting wrote: