Oshkosh questions

Old June 9th 08, 04:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Andy Asberry[_2_]

Default Oshkosh questions

I'm thinking of volunteering at AirVenture during the show and two
weeks prior. Does EAA provide any place to camp for volunteers? I
don't mind paying during the show but premium rate ($20/day) for a
field is kind of tough to swallow. Especially while I'm working for
free. There are a lot of full service parks (not the "resorts") for
$100/week with WIFI, pool, water, electric, sewer and cable TV.

I'll be traveling with a 24 foot travel trailer and a LWB 3/4 ton
pickup. Combo about 50 feet long or so. The spaces in Camp Scholler
are 20x30 and the rules say units have to be 10 feet apart. That means
no room for the truck. They say extra vehicle parking permits can be
purchased for the nearby lots. Is this an accurate interpretation? If
so, this is a deal breaker for me.

When will the WIFI be operational?

Has anyone camped in Camp Scholler before? Your experience?

Has anyone volunteered before. Is it enjoyable or slave labor?

I have emailed EAA but no reply yet.

--Andy Asberry--
------Texas-----
Old June 9th 08, 12:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Lou

On Jun 8, 10:21 pm, Andy Asberry wrote:
[...]

Have you never been to Oshgosh before?
Lou
Old June 9th 08, 08:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Denny

I have no specific answers for you... I do have some general
observations...

I was at Rockford in the early days and then later at Oskosh... The
annual bash has changed from being thrown by the members of EAA for
the members and a few guests just because we loved building and
looking at airplanes... Volunteer labor was the only kind...

Now it has turned into a multimillion dollar corporate business with a
board of directors, paid executive staff with salaries and insurance
and paid vacations, and of course volunteers some things never
change... Charging the public admission is their main source of
revenue, though that doesn't stop them from hitting us EAA members who
show up either... Everything is expensive... The vendors pay a big fee
to AirVenture to be there and charge big prices as a result...

My advice to you is to go to AirVenture and volunteer... Then next
time you will know if you want to do it again... It is not slave
labor... Many folks volunteer there annually and have a vest covered
with the annual pins going back many years... You will make friends
and see airppanes and people that you cannot see anywhere else in the
world, from current astronauts to WWII fighter aces...

I'm thinking of being there on Saturday this year as it has been a few
years...

Cheers ... denny
Old June 10th 08, 12:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Andy Asberry[_2_]

On Mon, 9 Jun 2008 04:33:41 -0700 (PDT), Lou
wrote:

[...]

Oh yeah. Oshkosh and Sun-N-Fun, for 20 some years straight starting
in 1979. Flew in to Fond du Lac once. Drove the rest but never camped.
Slept in the dorms once; on a couch. Worse than camping. Never
volunteered.

Bought the bricks at the museum; twice.

Over the years, my priorities and obligations have changed. But since
I will be half way there and have the time, I thought it would be a
good time to get reacquainted.

--Andy Asberry--
------Texas-----
Old June 10th 08, 12:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Errol Groff

On Sun, 08 Jun 2008 22:21:22 -0500, Andy Asberry
wrote:

I'm thinking of volunteering at AirVenture during the show and two
weeks prior. Does EAA provide any place to camp for volunteers? I
don't mind paying during the show but premium rate ($20/day) for a
field is kind of tough to swallow. Especially while I'm working for
free. There are a lot of full service parks (not the "resorts") for
$100/week with WIFI, pool, water, electric, sewer and cable TV.

I'll be traveling with a 24 foot travel trailer and a LWB 3/4 ton
pickup. Combo about 50 feet long or so. The spaces in Camp Scholler
are 20x30 and the rules say units have to be 10 feet apart. That means
no room for the truck. They say extra vehicle parking permits can be
purchased for the nearby lots. Is this an accurate interpretation? If
so, this is a deal breaker for me.

In the volunteer camping (for folks who arrive early, as I understand
it) it looks pretty crowded BUT all units seem to have their tow
vehicle in attendance.

When will the WIFI be operational?

No idea

Has anyone camped in Camp Scholler before? Your experience?

Been camping at OSh since 1971. My tent first camped there in 1972
and is still in use one week a year. Experience? Almost all good.
There is the occassional idiot running an unmuffled generator but for
the most part it is a pleasant experience.

Has anyone volunteered before. Is it enjoyable or slave labor?

Been volunteering for many years in various areas. Like most things
it is what you make of it. You can work yourself to death or pace
yourself and enjoy the experience. Give it a try at least once. If
you like it go back for more!

I have emailed EAA but no reply yet.

--Andy Asberry--
------Texas-----

Errol Groff
EAA 60159
Old June 12th 08, 05:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Tom Wait

"Andy Asberry" wrote

I'll be traveling with a 24 foot travel trailer and a LWB 3/4 ton
pickup. Combo about 50 feet long or so. The spaces in Camp Scholler
are 20x30 and the rules say units have to be 10 feet apart. That means
no room for the truck.

Wherever you camp, there will be room for your truck. There is tons of room
out in the west camp if you don't get there early. The 20x30 rule is loosely
enforced except maybe in Pauls Park, which is normally filled by the first
week in July.

When will the WIFI be operational?

I have it from a usually reliable source WIFI will be up and running
throughout Camp Scholler on July 1.

Has anyone camped in Camp Scholler before? Your experience?

Every year for the past 20, I've had the time of my life.

Has anyone volunteered before. Is it enjoyable or slave labor?

Yes I am a volunteer and no, it's not slave labor. I've had the time of my
life volunteering.

I have emailed EAA but no reply yet.

Check the website for information. www.EAA.org with links to Airventure.
But you prolly already know that.

See you there,
Tom

Old June 13th 08, 02:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Andy Asberry[_2_]

On Thu, 12 Jun 2008 11:38:36 -0500, "Tom Wait"
wrote:

"Andy Asberry" wrote

[...]

Thanks for your reply. Evidently someone from here sent my questions
to EAA. I received an email from a lady, who I think totally
misconstrued my reasons for asking the questions. Ignorance, not
stupidity.

She advised that if I was looking for "perks", I should use one of the
private parks.

I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade and didn't want to get in a
long, drawn out email swap. I just blew it off for this year. I found
a couple of antique tractor shows to volunteer at.

I already have alternate plans for next year. Maybe in 2010.
Thanks for everyone's replies.

--Andy Asberry--

Monday 073007 in Oshkosh - Going Home [07/10] - "Departing Oshkosh - KC135 'Upset 77' gear stowed.jpg" yEnc (1/1) Just Plane Noise[_2_] Aviation Photos 0 August 2nd 07 04:39 AM
Semi - NORDO in a Champ to Oshkosh - Misc questions Mike Johnson Piloting 39 May 30th 05 05:25 AM
Oshkosh questions Jimmy B. Owning 61 February 27th 05 03:06 PM
Oshkosh questions Kyle Boatright Piloting 55 February 27th 05 03:06 PM
Mig-29 questions & general aviation questions 2003 Steven Military Aviation 1 October 20th 03 06:06 AM