LS8 Panel in AutoCAD?

Old February 3rd 10, 01:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Chris

Default LS8 Panel in AutoCAD?

On Feb 1, 8:17*am, Morgan wrote:
Another tool to consider looking at is Google Sketchup.

http://sketchup.google.com/

I have found it very easy and powerful to use, especially for a task
like this that requires the creation of some new shapes like a box to
represent your clearNav. *It takes a little practice and following of
tutorials (online videos make it nice) to understand how to create
precise models, but you can do really detailed and accurate 3D
renderings.

This doesn't solve your issue of getting an LS-8 panel starting point,
but you may find it easier than Autocad if you aren't using Autocad on
a regular basis.

On Jan 31, 12:07*pm, Martin Gregorie
wrote:

On Sat, 30 Jan 2010 18:28:47 -0800, jcarlyle wrote:
Thanks for the detailed approach, Martin. I use AutoCAD once every
couple of years, and it's not an easy program to use in such an
intermittent mode (especially when you're self taught).

I know the problem well (and not just with CAD packages).

The problem right now is your 4th step 'make a photo of the panel'. The
glider is not accessible, and I don't have a new blank panel available.
Thus I'm stuck for a few months, if I can't locate a R14 dwg of the
panel outline.

I didn't realise that - sorry.

Maybe somebody with an LS8 that's not put away for the northern winter *
could be prevailed on to apply masking tape, measure, photograph and peel
off the tape? It seems to me its the sort of job that takes almost more
time to describe than do.

--
martin@ * | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK

If you're still in need of a LS8 panel template, send me an email. I
can provide you with the .DXF file that I used for water jetting a
panel for my LS8 last year.

Incidentally, I can't recommend Sketchup for doing this kind of work.
Sketchup does not actually produce curves, is produces polygons to
approximate curves (with a limit of something like 255 facets for a
circle). On the screen this will look smooth, but if you laser cut or
water jet a panel designed this way, you'll find that instruments
often do not to fit. Ideally, use software like Solidworks (but it's
expensive and has a steep learning curve); failing that, you can do a
pretty good job in Adobe Illustrator (although maintaining tolerances
can become a problem).

Cheers,
Chris
Old December 14th 14, 06:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Hey Chris,

I'm also interested in your dxf file of the ls8 panel. If you still have it, I would be very if you would send it to me. Thanks in advance
Pascal
Old December 14th 14, 09:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
SF

John,
I took my panel into the local AutoCad dealer. We traced the outline on a sheet of paper, scanned it in on a large format scanner. Then imported the image into AutoCad. Created another layer on top of it and traced over it in AutoCad. Then you just use the scale function to make your AutoCad drawing match the actual dimensions. I also tried a laser scanner intended for flat work at the local gasket supply shop (they all use waterjet cutters now). The raised lip on my 27's panel threw it off enough to make that unusable.

I can send you an AutoCad panel drawing with a ClearNav tunnel mount in it if that would help. Take the dashes out of the following 211---fletcher---AT---gmail.----com. I bought the mount, and measured it for the drawing. The rear overhang is important with the tunnel mount, you can put some short stuff up under it a little, giving you some more room.

SF
Old January 23rd 17, 07:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Den onsdag den 3. februar 2010 kl. 02.53.22 UTC+1 skrev Chris:
On Feb 1, 8:17Â*am, Morgan wrote:
Another tool to consider looking at is Google Sketchup.

http://sketchup.google.com/

I have found it very easy and powerful to use, especially for a task
like this that requires the creation of some new shapes like a box to
represent your clearNav. Â*It takes a little practice and following of
tutorials (online videos make it nice) to understand how to create
precise models, but you can do really detailed and accurate 3D
renderings.

This doesn't solve your issue of getting an LS-8 panel starting point,
but you may find it easier than Autocad if you aren't using Autocad on
a regular basis.

On Jan 31, 12:07Â*pm, Martin Gregorie
wrote:

On Sat, 30 Jan 2010 18:28:47 -0800, jcarlyle wrote:
Thanks for the detailed approach, Martin. I use AutoCAD once every
couple of years, and it's not an easy program to use in such an
intermittent mode (especially when you're self taught).

I know the problem well (and not just with CAD packages).

The problem right now is your 4th step 'make a photo of the panel'. The
glider is not accessible, and I don't have a new blank panel available.
Thus I'm stuck for a few months, if I can't locate a R14 dwg of the
panel outline.

I didn't realise that - sorry.

Maybe somebody with an LS8 that's not put away for the northern winter Â*
could be prevailed on to apply masking tape, measure, photograph and peel
off the tape? It seems to me its the sort of job that takes almost more
time to describe than do.

--
martin@ Â* | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK

If you're still in need of a LS8 panel template, send me an email. I
can provide you with the .DXF file that I used for water jetting a
panel for my LS8 last year.

Incidentally, I can't recommend Sketchup for doing this kind of work.
Sketchup does not actually produce curves, is produces polygons to
approximate curves (with a limit of something like 255 facets for a
circle). On the screen this will look smooth, but if you laser cut or
water jet a panel designed this way, you'll find that instruments
often do not to fit. Ideally, use software like Solidworks (but it's
expensive and has a steep learning curve); failing that, you can do a
pretty good job in Adobe Illustrator (although maintaining tolerances
can become a problem).

Cheers,
Chris

Hi Chris

Do you still have a .DXF file for a LS8 cockpit? I'm looking for the big instrumentpanel for the LS8.

Best regards
Thomas Grove, Denmark
Old January 24th 17, 09:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Bojack J4

Dont forget, the instruments not only have to fit on the face of the panel but also have to clear the support structures behind the panel.

20B Panel jcarlyle Soaring 21 April 1st 09 10:57 PM
ASW-19 instrument panel - AutoCad?? Gary Emerson Soaring 1 February 9th 09 07:02 PM
AutoCad [email protected] Soaring 5 January 9th 09 05:56 PM
IFR PANEL Flyhighdave Home Built 4 January 18th 05 04:24 AM
IFR PANEL Flyhighdave Home Built 4 January 17th 05 07:15 PM