Did Gordon Boettger get in the air this morning?

Old February 25th 12, 02:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Gary[_5_]

Default Did Gordon Boettger get in the air this morning?

Gordon Boettger was to launch today for a downwind dash hoping for
3000k. Any word?

Gary GB
Old February 25th 12, 02:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Greg Arnold

On 2/25/2012 6:46 AM, Gary wrote:
Gordon Boettger was to launch today for a downwind dash hoping for
3000k. Any word?

Gary GB

According to his SPOT, he is airborne:

http://tinyurl.com/6vvjsno
Old February 25th 12, 03:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Rand Baldwin[_2_]

On Feb 25, 8:46*am, Gary wrote:
Gordon Boettger was to launch today for a downwind dash hoping for
3000k. Any word?

Gary *GB

Gary,

Yes. Gordon is in the air. He launched from Minden-Tahoe Airport at
about 6:30 PST this morning. SoaringCafe.com will be posting updates
on Gordon's and Hugh's progress throughout the day at
http://soaringcafe.com/2012/02/news-...-february-25th
,
Old February 25th 12, 06:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Rick Walters[_2_]

UPDATE

Gordo and Hugh had two tows this morning. Connected to a marginal wave
( soft at 18,000') and abandoned the flight. I'll let them give the
details, but the downwind conditions did not look very good. The Duo
is back at the tiedown at Minden.

Rick Walters crew

on Gordon's and Hugh's progress throughout the day athttp://soaringcafe.com/2012/02/news-flash-gordon-boettger-to-try-reco...
,

Old February 25th 12, 08:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
nimbus[_2_]

Abandoned the downwind run this morning due to several factors:
-Launched in the blue and had a difficult time connecting with the
wave at the lower altitudes. Wavelength was much further downwind
than expected.
-Had to relight. On round two, connected with wave downwind of Minden
(very unorganized below 10.5K) where I had slow climb (3-4 kts) to
16K. By the time I got to 16K it was 8:30 (2 hrs late). Conditions
strengthened later, but by then I was too late.
-Conditions were completely blue locally and downwind. When it's
blue, one has to expect to be slowed down due to the search for wave.
That combined with my 2 hr delay helped my decision to abort
-Winds aloft at 16K were 300-305 at 60 kts. I'm looking for a 230-250
flow aloft. My intended course line was to the NE not SE, so the
winds weren't as favorable in NV which would have slowed down my
downwind legs.
When one intends to make a LONG flight, all things have to fall into
place. Having things line up just right for a downwind run is VERY
difficult. Not only do the conditions have to be right locally, but
400 and 800 miles downwind. Based on the above factors, I decided
that today was not the right day.
Just thought you'd like to know.
Old February 26th 12, 02:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jcarlyle

Thanks for the details, Gordon. Too bad about today, but best of luck
for next time. I'm pulling for you to get the miles logged in your
FDR.

-John

Gordon Boettger bildan Soaring 2 February 18th 09 10:53 PM
MSC Podcast - Gordon Boettger describes his 2000K [email protected] Soaring 3 March 4th 06 03:34 AM
MSC podcast with Gordon Boettger - Preparing for the Wave [email protected] Soaring 9 February 2nd 06 03:20 PM
Looking For Gordon Boettger P.Naton Soaring 0 February 29th 04 01:08 AM
Gordon Boettger Kizuno Soaring 0 January 13th 04 05:12 AM